The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

That caiziyou is great. Rub some on some thighs with just salt and pepper and roast until the skin is crispy. Damn.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Caiziyou rubbed pork with soy sauce. Spicy chicken rub. Grill time.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I like Frenching thighs like that.

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I don't do thighs like that. I'll just debone and fillet out to stuff but usually do the legs that way. Or lollipop them.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Quote from: Pissy on May 04, 2022, 04:57:11 PM
I like Frenching thighs like that.
you dirty dog. i knew you were into frenching.

RAGER

Does his wife know he's posting this kind of stuff? 
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Cocozelle bushes are starting to deliver. Backyard veggie pasta

RAGER

Right on. If you have an abundance, I recently a Michoacán recipe you might like.

Hollow them out and stuff with queso Oaxaca or queso chihuahua.
Use the pulp along with roasted tomatoes, roasted onions, chilis and garlic all blended with a little stock or water as a sale it's to braise the calabazas in. Serve with whatever.

I'm gonna try this out.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

hot top. Bet your ass I'll try it as well

RAGER

Made a super badass mole' the other day and then stewed shoulder meat and ribs in it for a few hours.

Beans simmered with chopped up chicharrones in em.

Cilantro lime rice.

Grinding roasted sesame seeds and pepitas

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Anchovy plate inspired by latest DCS episode.

RAGER

Nice one.

Pasta formaggio con piselli primaverili e acciughe
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

aha! strozzapreti, per the label. I put some honey'd garlic in there. Surpise to me that the garlic quite thourougly absorbed the honey. Whole garlic but took it up like a sponge. weird.

The peas were boiled then tossed in caiziyou oiled pan plus dried onions and some butter. Nice when dried onions absorb a little, they got a little mushy but still al dente! half-rehydrated or something, you would know. Pasta boiled in the peas water.

hand grated parm regg. Nice Springy dish. Still need to get reeeaal anchovy from Italy. Big diff. I'll get some.

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on May 08, 2022, 08:27:44 PM
Pasta formaggio con piselli primaverili e acciughe

------
recycling for breakfast, and practicing Italian(?):

strozzapreti uova strapazzate con piselli aglio feta e acciughe.
& dash of Maepranom shrimp flavor crushed chili.

it was okay, very light seasoning. oh, but a little anchovy sure goes a loooong way. There's none in there but still obvious from where it was in the original dish. I found some Italian fish sauce that might be mostly anchovy - I should get a bottle.

not too pretty but I can work with it

RAGER

Got my new big ass bag of this years crop of rice.

Also got a little bag of makrut leaf powder. Think I might make a seasoning blend for fun. Use some Red Boat fish salt too.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Found this at New Seasons yesterday. After I stopped being able to get from Belize I just started making my own. It never dawned on my to look online for it. I've never seen it in Hispanic stores although I haven't looked in years.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Attempted to make shevid polo. A Persian rice dish that is loaded with fresh dill and is cooked with flat bread on the bottom and gets crispy. So the presentation is, and I'm sure you've seen this, is to invert onto a plate and have the nice crispy golden bread crust thing on top. Cool right? Well I didn't get it right.

I didn't have any flatbread and wanted to make enough for two instead of ten. So I tried a flour tortilla cut down to size. Didn't work but probably could've.

But the texture and flavor of the rice was really interesting. Kind of custard like because of the addition of olive oil and the two stage cooking technique.

Maybe I should add a pic of what it's supposed to look like eh? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: renfield on May 05, 2022, 12:10:46 PM
Cocozelle bushes are starting to deliver. Backyard veggie pasta

Yo. You heard of pasta nerano? 

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

RAGER

Once we have zukes comin out our ears I'll be making some.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Yo check this out!  I wonder if my welder still works. I've got some vintage VW Bus rims around. Bitchin.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Just got about 15 pounds of sockeye. Think I'll brine and smoke some. Maybe cure some too.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Mmm.  I found out recently one of the lakes about 3 hr away has Kokanee salmon.  Hopefully get a chance to catch one at some point. 

However, it seems that Kokanee on this side of the continent means something different than on that side.  These are more traditional Coho or Chinook looking, while on the west side of the rockies, they look red like sockeye.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Actually, those are silver, vs red.  Interesting.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Are you referring to my pic?  Those are adult pre spawn sockeye from the North Pacific. So yes still kinda silver.

Kokanee out here are landlocked sockeye. They just don't get as big as the ocean variety.
No Focus Pocus