The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

Well perhaps they are the same here, just the pics I've seen aren't fully mature, or maybe most sockeye pics I've seen are spawning. 

They planted them here in the 50's then stopped.  The fish have held.

Here's what they say are the Nantahala Kokanee. 

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Looks like a Kokanee. We have Kokanee beer out here. There's a landlocked salmon in every bottle!
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I probably have all the stuff to make that shao kao spice blend. Not the specific cumin but close enough. I do however believe in the caiziyou making a big difference. If you know you know.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Spun a beating on my blender blade yesterday blending a full carafe of Japanese curry sauce.

Found the replacement on evilzon. It'll be here tomorrow. Goddammit!!
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Had this last night out of a food cart. Damn good.

Tea smoked duck breast and roasted beets

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

speaking of exotic meat, check this out. traci and her son and grandson head out to Salamanca for the pow wow 2022. on the way out a black bear runs out of the woods and hits the back of the 4runner going like 70 down the thruway. the bear gets knocked out but gets up and runs off. later at the fest she gets a bear sausage with peppers and onion on a hoagie.

https://senecapowwow.org/2022-powwow/

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Got some very interesting hard to find ingredients finally.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Cukes totally snuck up on me. So I'm suddenly in "oh shit" cucumbers territory. Kinda cool those cuz it's been super hot and I'm curious how long a ferment will take. Grabbed some grape leaves out back, some garlic, pink and black peppercorns along with several dried Thai chilis. We'll see what's what n 5-7 days. Probably won't take longer.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

My garden hasn't been productive at all.  I'm sure it's my fault, but not entirely sure why.  Pests keep getting to the plants, sure but it seethe growth has been stunted on the peppers.  The cucs aren't climbing the stakes, one zucchini plant exploded with growth, but only one fruit.  The other two plants are just hanging on.  11 ears of corn are coming, some day.  Tomatoes are taking forever.  No blooms on either Cherokee Purple plant.  The hanging tomatoes have about 4 better boys, and 5 super sweet(cherry types) two tomatoes on the better boys in the ground. 

I planted into the ground this year instead of raised beds.  Manure/compost the area.  But didn't plant any pest control flowers around the perimeter like last year.  I'm thinking that's been the difference. 
Vinyls.   deal.

sleestak

It's probably just random because I've put no work into mine and gotten about 10 cukes and 4 giant zuchs in the past week.  I have 6 tomato buckets that I did some water wicking system I copied off of some youtube channel with PVC pipe and gallon containers at the bottom.  The tomatoes have produced a few and my in ground peppers have produced about 3 so far.  I was way late in planting as well.  Only had everything in the ground or bucket in early june.  Probably just luck of the draw or weather.   Although the wife got a new job and she's been consistently watering which we haven't had since I was home during the pandemic.  (Our garden sucked the year I was home, therefore: random)
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

RAGER

The one on the right is a pretty normal pickle for beets but on the left I used some of the regular brine but added dried Thai chilis, Szechuan peppercorns, Zhenjiang black vinegar and a black vinegar from Taiwan that tastes like Worcestershire. Hope it's good. It's experimental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Made a bunch of bread and butters today. Added a few green Thai chilis for a little zing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

longviewcaps

Taking notes. Damn happy to up my food game.
Sansui Marantz Rotel Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Luxman Klipsch

RAGER

Been reading up on some stuff regarding Laos. Neat stuff.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Looks like inflation finally got to the Asian store. 

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

is it illegal to possess haggis in the usa?

Pissy

Why, because of cultural appropriation?   

Wait do you mean like out of body demon type possession? 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Quote from: mortlock on September 20, 2022, 10:20:31 PM

I feel we've gone over this ...twice. It's the lungs thing.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on September 20, 2022, 10:36:24 PM
Quote from: mortlock on September 20, 2022, 10:20:31 PM

I feel we've gone over this ...twice. It's the lungs thing.
yeah, i know but i want to shoot a dcs episode with haggis. Can i get in trouble for that?

Muffin Man

Pissy

Well if you can get haggis, have at it.  I doubt the throngs of viewers will turn you in. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Also, local haggis should be fine in terms legality, According to wikipedia.  However gross and disgusting it may be.

In 1971 it became illegal to import haggis into the US from the UK due to a ban on food containing sheep lung, which constitutes 10–15% of the traditional recipe. The ban encompasses all lungs, as fluids such as stomach acid and phlegm may enter the lung during slaughter.The situation was further complicated in 1989 when all UK beef and lamb was banned from importation to the US due to a BSEcrisis In 2010 a spokeswoman for the US Department of Agriculture stated that they were reviewing the ban on beef and lamb products, but that the ban on food containing sheep lung would remain in force.
As haggis cannot be exported to the United States, it is instead made there, sometimes by Scottish companies. In one such use, which is stated to be the same 150-year-old recipe having the same ingredients as in Scotland, sheep lung is not used and the casing is artificial rather than stomach.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Fuck it.  I can't seem to paste for shit.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Modern haggis hurling is judged on the basis of distance and accuracy of the hurl and a split or burst haggis is immediately disqualified, as the haggis must be fit to eat after landing.
Vinyls.   deal.