The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

Quote from: Pissy on September 21, 2022, 01:59:24 PM
Modern haggis hurling is judged on the basis of distance and accuracy of the hurl and a split or burst haggis is immediately disqualified, as the haggis must be fit to eat after landing.
hahaha haggis hurling.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

It's been a long time since I've had phet Thai and even longer since I've made it. It's just such a meh dish and not really the Thai food that interests me.

Well. Made some last night and even kicked it up a notch using sone Pok Pok methods. Still meh. Oh well. It did force me to make some tamarind water that can be used for other stuff.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I bought a tub of tamarind but have absolutely no clue what to do with it. Any ideas? I have a bag of yellow potatoes if those would work. "Concentrate Cooking Tamarind" liquid.

edit; how about chicken breast? I've brined some overnight in salt/cayenne, making chicken fingers breaded and fried. Can I work in some tamarind and honey, soy, fish sauce or something? also have dried tarragon.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

hang on a sec taking photos

made this: cabbage & pork tenderloin stir fry. 1tsp ea. fish sauce, soy sauce, tamarind. added thai chili flakes.

I also have frozen shrimps if those would work. bac in a min

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on October 02, 2022, 02:52:53 PM
Show the container and label.

I like this fish sauce, almost used up. from H-Mart

RAGER

Even though that stuff says concentrate it can be used as is mixed in n with sauces/dips or yes a marinade.

Naam jim kai yang. Thin dip for grilled chicken hence the name.

Mix to taste fish sauce, tamarind, palm sugar, toasted chilies.

Phat muu khorat is put together kinda like phet Thai but more interesting. It also uses makham (tamarind).
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Okay thank you, chef! I'll pick up some palm sugar. I added toasted sesame oil to the stir fry. Love this stuff. wait a sec the label doesn't say toasted. a little goes a long way.

Muffin Man

stirred some tamarind into a bloody mary just to see what flavors I'm dealing with. Went light, next one will be more. Seems to work. Check out this black bass fish dish. wow. black bass doesn't even need anything, probably, but this is off the charts:

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-use-tamarind

mortlock

Muffin Man

totally! and, wise. I pulled some pin bones out my salmon with tweezers the other day. Always a concern when eating boney fish. I guess if you get a tail piece you're in the clear.

Have you ever had a whole fish at a Chinese restaurant? Sweet and Sour whole fish. Not to be missed.

mortlock

to be fair, i dont know how to eat a full fish properly and safely. if i learned how to i would probably love it.

Muffin Man

it takes a lovely assistant, no question about it.

here's what happens if you drop a fermented black bean and pour over vodka. not bad, I was surprised to see the leeching. might have to try a double bean.

Pissy

Tomorrow I'm hosting a low country boil/oyster roast with ribs.  I'll take pics.
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

pics are cool but an invite would have been better.

Pissy

If you care to make the drive, I'll dump the pot at 5:00pm.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

I think it's its only 10 hrs from Rochester.
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

i mean it would be cool if you could fly me down. ill make it worth your while and shoot a dcs episode special feature.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

if you get some good pics, i may shoot the episode even if i cant be there. this could be a first for dcs. i have ideas how this can work. if you deliver the goods.

Muffin Man

Hormel would have flown you corporate had you joined the hormel family under its sponsorship program. Just a few "this video sponsored by" tags and boom, oysters.

Muffin Man

ps. what an epic roast at the Pissy ranch. I looked up low country and man-o-man woo-hoo-nelly.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.