The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

That's like a lazy Italian beef. Sounds good and takes about zero effort.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Thanks for the recipe, chef R. I just need to get a good quality slow cooker (BF sales). Apparently, Duke's for the white sauce! I can easily do w/o the sauce but mayo-as-well give it go for fun.

Pissy

It sounds very close to the Italian beef I do. 

https://riffrocklives.com/forum/index.php?topic=13176.0

Looks like the recipe isn't in that thread, but it's awesome and simple. 

2 cans beef consommé
1 jar of giardiniera
1 jar peperocinis
1 pack Italian dry dressing mix
2-5 lbs beef roast. Anything will do.   I've done london broil, rump roast, top round.  Doesn't really matter.  I used to look for a 5 lb roast, because the recipe calls for it but a 2 lb is plenty with only 1 can of consommé. My crock pot overflows with a 5lb roast, ultimately resorting to a stock pot in the oven at 250.  But a 2 lb in the crock pot for about 12 hrs on low til it shreds easily. Maybe longer for a 5 lb.

Then yeah, just crust up some hoagie rolls in the oven and load em up, dip em whatevs. 

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

New cookbook day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I always ordered that cover dish, first item, every time at muh Sichuan restaurant. They used to sit in the corner wrapping the wantons before the crowd arrived. Sometimes I'd order the dish "dry style" but 9/10 times the wet there. Boiled fish also number one!

RAGER

My wife and myself are very glad I know how to rock that dish pretty solidly.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

man that's a real triumph. I should start in on the journey of making that dish.

I was mistaken earlier, my go-to place did dumplings, probably never saw a wonton there, but several style of either steam or fried dumplings. 

here was the dry style

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Whoa nelly. Westland, Seattle peated whiskey. Peated is unusual, they were one of the first or first to do it., about 10 years ago when they started and independent (since sold). I used to go there, down the street. Man, I cracked this bottle open and it freakin' filled the room. Highly aromatic, amazing. Popped a drop of distilled water and let it set for awhile. Just now wetted my lips and wow bandaids! Wow, like an laphroig but with seemingly cherry oak. Goodness gracious.

https://www.westlanddistillery.com/seattle-kraken

RAGER

I was the store yesterday (Kroger) and they had hams on sale. $0.87 a pound. Got big one for $8 and change. Ham for the next year.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Trying a different method for kraut.

Vacuum seal bags. 2%+ ratio to weight of cabbage. We'll see what they look like in two weeks. Kellie wasn't sure if what I was doing. She asked if I was prepping to freeze stuff. I said no I'm trying a different krait method. But then I thought what if I were to batch a few and toss them in the freezer or fridge to hold. Then just pull out to ferment when I wanted more with an approximate two week turn around?  Huh. I'll try it.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

hmm, subscribed. Interested to see what happens with it being sealed.

RAGER

Same principle as an airlock. Except instead of a liquid barrier there will just be CO2 and space. Lacto is already present.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

sure, why not. I actually had a head waiting for something, been in the fridge for 2-3weeks. Hopefully I've got lacto but have no idea. Just a 1 day salt soak (not soak, more like damp). One secret ingredient also to report back on (leftover silver mezcal, about 2 TSP's in there) didn't want to drink it, nor toss, so, in the cabbage.

Pissy

Not sure I follow.  Where does the salt enter the equation?   I mean typically you put salt over it and mash it right?  Then the water leaches out and greatness happens.   Where's the liquid? 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I add about a 2% plus a tad more salt to weight in mine.

I didn't massage it. This is something new for me. Maybe the next be I might. My food saver has a "moist" setting on it.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Ferments are going pretty good in the vacuum bags.

Got some cool kitchen tools.

Rice strainer
Super long chopsticks for cooking. *
Olive wood spoon.
Bamboo tongs.
A very nice and small tamagoyaki cast iron pan

Tape measure for scale.

Little gas burner. Yes!

*Muffin. Imma send you some of these stupid long chopsticks. Bought two boxes on accident. Get at me.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on December 26, 2022, 12:16:38 AM
Ferments are going pretty good in the vacuum bags.

Got some cool kitchen tools.

Rice strainer
Super long chopsticks for cooking. *
Olive wood spoon.
Bamboo tongs.
A very nice and small tamagoyaki cast iron pan

Tape measure for scale.

Little gas burner. Yes!

*Muffin. Imma send you some of these stupid long chopsticks. Bought two boxes on accident. Get at me.

Immatya' bro. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. My man, that is a bodacious haul. That burner has my goggles on it ,WOW

and yessir, I do really actually need those tweezers. I was looking for some.  Thank you my friend.

RAGER

It's been a while since I observed your average person assigned the duty of cooking in a household that doesn't have much interest in cooking. Holy smokes!  Makes my skin crawl watching someone try to cut potatoes and having them stick to the knife so they use another knife to dislodge the offending spud. Or the next day watching how this other person cuts an avocado. Or the half gallon of instant hollandaise being made. Or the terribly overcooked sausage and bacon.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

My mother in law... i think the world of her, but she is absolutely the worst cook I've been around.  Purely because she doesn't care.  Most recently, I had an amazing tomato intended for my world famous chicken clubs on grilled sourdough.  She took it on herself to cut the worst slices of tomato in history.  They varied from wedges to 3/4" thick Z cuts or something.   All she cared about was getting it over with and it pissed me off so much i think about it at least once every two weeks.  It was so bad. 

And to beat all, no one asks her to do any cooking at all - among my wife's siblings and their spouses.  Because we all know.  She just inserts herself snd does things terribly.  She still puts Lipton packets in her hamburgers, because the 70's were such an awesome time for recipes. 
Vinyls.   deal.

sleestak

Quote from: Pissy on December 30, 2022, 05:48:21 AM
She took it on herself to cut the worst slices of tomato in history.  They varied from wedges to 3/4" thick Z cuts or something.   All she cared about was getting it over with and it pissed me off so much i think about it at least once every two weeks.  It was so bad. 

This made me truly LOL and then I read it to my wife and she did too.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

mortlock

She would def have had an accident over that tomato bullshit. Older people fall down stairs all the time. They also get their arms caught in car doors from time to time.

RAGER

She's the type that would complain about a knife being too sharp.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I sharpen her knives whenever we go to her house.  She has Cutco's. 
Vinyls.   deal.