The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

One Christmas at her house i was pulled into making scrambled eggs for part if a larger breakfast.   She had an electric skillet out and already on full blast.  Handed it off to me.  I proceeded to make the worst batch of scrambled eggs in history.  They leached half their volume of water out in the bowl once they were cooked.  Nobody ate them.  I had to apologize.  I told my wife I'm never taking over for her like that again.  I'm happy to cook scrambled eggs, but not something someone else started. 
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

id be at the point where id ask for a divorce solely on the grounds that she is related to someone like that.

mortlock

im super disappointed at my main pizza/garbage plate/sub shop. these fuckers issued coupons not long ago that say 2 lg steak subs $21.99, expires 12/31/22. i order the subs show up and present the coupon and they decline to accept it. i asked why, its still good through today and they said they werent accepting it any longer and the new special is 24.99. granted its only 3 dollars but wtf. im good for 2 to 3 times a month in this place probably to the tune of approx $500 or more a year. they are about to throw that away for not honoring a coupon they issued and is still inside of it expiring. 3 fucking dollar difference. cmon. the thing that sucks is i like the food and they are like 2 seconds away. if i switch to the next place it makes it much more unlikely ill order because the next nearest place is miles away. i could walk to this place. im mad but they are so convenient. fucking great way to wrap up the year, at war with my fav pizza shop.

RAGER

That's complete bullshit. That's like breach of contract/false advertising.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: RAGER on December 18, 2022, 01:16:48 PM
Trying a different method for kraut.

Vacuum seal bags. 2%+ ratio to weight of cabbage. We'll see what they look like in two weeks. Kellie wasn't sure if what I was doing. She asked if I was prepping to freeze stuff. I said no I'm trying a different krait method. But then I thought what if I were to batch a few and toss them in the freezer or fridge to hold. Then just pull out to ferment when I wanted more with an approximate two week turn around?  Huh. I'll try it.

Here's my bag kraut at 2 weeks. Crunchy and not much moisture. I think I'll add a touch of my ferment brine and yo another week.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

My sealed bag let loose. I had it on the counter but after that moved to the fridge. The liquid had turned red and streaked about after the breach. It hadn't blown up or anything and I thought I double burned the seal. Might use it as a bed for pork chop, possibly. or taco garnish or something like a charcuterie plate - or all three. (if it's edible)

correction: holy crackers! it has expanded doubly. I guess it might have pressure burst the seal and now the volume looks double and it looks pretty wet. looked dry when I sealed it.

I didn't crush the slices so it's all chemical reaction. (salt and tequila)

Muffin Man

Quote from: mortlock on December 31, 2022, 06:44:57 PM
im super disappointed at my main pizza/garbage plate/sub shop. these fuckers issued coupons not long ago that say 2 lg steak subs $21.99, expires 12/31/22. i order the subs show up and present the coupon and they decline to accept it. i asked why, its still good through today and they said they werent accepting it any longer and the new special is 24.99. granted its only 3 dollars but wtf. im good for 2 to 3 times a month in this place probably to the tune of approx $500 or more a year. they are about to throw that away for not honoring a coupon they issued and is still inside of it expiring. 3 fucking dollar difference. cmon. the thing that sucks is i like the food and they are like 2 seconds away. if i switch to the next place it makes it much more unlikely ill order because the next nearest place is miles away. i could walk to this place. im mad but they are so convenient. fucking great way to wrap up the year, at war with my fav pizza shop.

It sounds like they take their coupons very seriously with a grain of salt. No way to get that 5-star review. They could have thrown in a side to compensate, if they were creative, or cared. Maybe a training mishap? Maybe a microscopic fine print on the back? Maybe a Seinfeld skit.

RAGER

The rental car reservation episode cones to mind actually.

Server-"Sir I know what the coupon says"

Dave- "I don't think you do."
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

haha! I'll look for that one.

Copping to being wee klutz on the cabbage - it didn't leak at all. It had puffed up and spread loose. Well, I cut it open and what a massive stench came out of it, a horrible dose of methane-like gas. Tasted it, bland. Let it air-out, hoping for it to gas-off. It seems to have aired out. Back in the fridge.

mortlock

one of my fav seinfelds.

after some talks and consideration we have made the decision that the pizza place is now under an official ban indefinitely. im pissed off that they would throw away loyal customers over $3 coupon that they issued. no excuse.
they join the other local place that burned me and the missus years ago with their own unforced errors and self inflicted wounds.
there was a diner we liked to go to and one day we are there ordering brek. we order 2 glasses of oj. they are out of oj. but do they just say that..nope. they bring us 2 glasses of oj that were 95% water and 5% oj. obviously splitting the little speck they had left and watering it down. AND charged us full price. fatal error, never been back since.

mortlock

rager since youve been in the business, what the hell makes an establishment do such stupid things over something that has literally no monetary benefit to them nor harm to them and has the potential to cause serious harm through lost business and bad press/public relations? i dont get it. in the case of the oj we never said anything and just never went back. in the case of the coupon we gave them the chance to honor the coupon by respectfully bringing it up but they still double down over 3 fucking dollars. especially in the day of internet shaming. im not going that far with it but the potential is there to get lit up in reviews online.

mortlock

i probably should have just walked out and left the subs behind in retrospect.   

RAGER

The coupon thing is plain and simple illegal. They offered it. It was valid. It's still on their website stating that deal. I got a mind to call them to claim that deal. If they say no, infirm them if illegal advertising. Buck stops with them. Too bad your site is out of date. Not my problem.

That oj thing is just lazy bullshit I'd never do. And greedy.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Many years ago my "pizza" place across the street, like I could literally hold my breath and make it there, always had coupons of various sorts, combo deals, etc. Always running a Tue coupon, Sunday coupon. But quite often then they would just let me use the Tue on a Thurs. Or a 10-piece wings for free but on the wrong day. It was a mutual respect relationship. Guess what....their tip jar was always near the brim (mostly owners/relatives worked there). They never went out of business even though they got some sketchy reviews. Chug chug chug the conveyor-belt (pizza) was always running...

Even if they made a bad pie (trainee) or sometimes the salad was missing a thing or two, you knew they were there and always backed it up. Open 7 days a week. I probably went there 10 years+

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on January 02, 2023, 08:53:27 PM
The coupon thing is plain and simple illegal. They offered it. It was valid. It's still on their website stating that deal. I got a mind to call them to claim that deal. If they say no, infirm them if illegal advertising. Buck stops with them. Too bad your site is out of date. Not my problem.

That oj thing is just lazy bullshit I'd never do. And greedy.
i may make a referral to the doj.

Pissy

We used to use Papa Johns coupons in college that were totally bogus or out of market or expired or whatever, and they always honored them.  Even when they didn't have to.  Pizza is such a cash cow, there's no reason to jeopardize a returning customer over a $3 discount. 

How could you serve breakfast and allow the oj to run low?  It's like serving breakfast without eggs.  You almost need to lock the doors until someone gets more oj. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Started two new Small experimental ferments.

On the left is yellow onions, salt, serrano slices, Mexican oregano, pinch of cumin (b.o.).

On the right is cabbage, fermented fish salt, garlic, makrut lime leaves

Here's the full tiger two from 3 weeks ago now in delis. They're pretty mild and very crunchy. Imma leave them for another week just like this on the counter and agitate once daily, taste periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i googled but i want your raw take. im not sure what it is.

RAGER

Seems like bs. Am I missing something? 
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Today was split fart soup with ham and a pintos. But I cook pintos every week.

Also a small batch of kimchi.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Warm egg mayo, cress and bacon bap. pic not mine but im def going to make a version of this. super secret r&d for dcs. do your own research.

Muffin Man

don't buy that at a store make it yourself. or better get a better diet. yes the store is probably way tastier. like a slider. into hades. clean up your act, save yer colon brah. sure if you're a triathlete and fire that shit off like a rooster, go ahead. then gimmie 50, or 100 for real.

RAGER

Made tan children's food last night because of weed.

Wiener wraps with crescent rolls. I cut the dogs in half and also cut off the rounded tips because symmetry. I chopped up those bits and pressed them into the dough for fun. Crinkle cut fries too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus