Weedeater - Jason...The Dragon

Started by Crutch, March 08, 2011, 02:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crutch

I'm surprised no one on this board has mentioned this yet. Anyone heard it yet? I nabbed one when they came through and I fucking love the hell out of it.

Arguments? Cheers?
I will show you the life of the mind.

GodShifter

Initial run of it was positive but it was nothing outstanding, imo. I mean, I like their sound a lot, but the album seems fairly short and unfocused, to a degree.

Crutch

Quote from: GodShifter on March 09, 2011, 04:00:50 PM
Initial run of it was positive but it was nothing outstanding, imo. I mean, I like their sound a lot, but the album seems fairly short and unfocused, to a degree.

Short is true, but I think it's perceived lack of focus centers on it's orbit around the title track. Which I love.

GodShifter

Title track is, indeed, stellar. As I said, the overall feel of the album upon the initial spin was good. There just seemed to be some weird experimentation kind of things that were off putting (especially the last track - not good).

And the possessive of an object is "its" - it's is a contraction of it is  :P (grammar lesson 101 for you, sonny boy)  ;D

Crutch

Grammar impedes on my freedom of speech.

And I understand how you could lose patience with them experimenting, but I like it when bands like that give it the ol' college try.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

peyotepeddler

one spin so far, i like it minus "palm and opium" and "whiskey creek"

"palm and opium" check the chord changes and slides in this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ouOa9k0gE

Blueberry Lazer

Man i really like this album. I didn't expect them to be able to follow up Godluck and Goodspeed but I think they did it rather well. I like that it meanders into halfbaked experimental arrangements towards the end. It gives the album more flow and less redundancy. But i do get annoyed by the odd clicks and pops that I hear on Palm and Opium, which would otherwise be one of my favorite tracks . I do wish that they would repeat the line "mankind is unkind man" on every album though.

grimniggzy

Like it and all but the songs are a lot better live.
Godluck wins by far.

Jesus Son

I think Justice for Ya'all blows anything else they've done outta the water. O' course, that's just me.
I've been known to like bands that sound a lot like Black Sabbath..

juggernaut

Quote from: Jesus Son on March 15, 2011, 05:47:33 PM
I think Justice for Ya'all blows anything else they've done outta the water. O' course, that's just me.

Nope, not just you.  That's still my favorite by far although I still really love 16 tons, glags etc.  Going to pick this one up today.

Ayek

After a number of listens I'm putting this one right up with the others. Weedeater's a band which I can say no particular album is favoured, it's aaalllllllll goooooooodd. Since Sixteen Tons they've stuck to the pattern of the acoustic song (though lap steel isn't acoustic, but whatever) in the middle of the album then at the end.

Crutch

Shitfire is still my favorite track from Weedeater.

Jesus Son

Mine too.

Truck Drivin' man is a close second.
I've been known to like bands that sound a lot like Black Sabbath..

SabbathJeff

Picked this up at the Feb. show in NYC. 

Lovin' the sludge.  Will have to complete my Weedeater collection now based on this.

Jeff
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

justinhedrick

after listening to it several times one idea formed in my head that i just can't shake:

it seems to me like the album doesn't feel "finished". not in a mastering or production sense, just in a songwriting sense. i could be wrong, but the title track and hammerhandle FEEL to me like the only songs that are really completed. not sure why i feel this way.