Amp Tech Thread / Ask a tech Q

Started by Hemisaurus, February 12, 2011, 05:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

God dammit.

Well save the speaker, maybe it can be fixed later and you keep it around as a backup.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

tombhex

Yeahp, not a huge deal. It shall sit in the closet until a stormy day calls it out to be repurposed. Thanks for being helpful though, I seriously appreciate that.

spookstrickland

Ive not moded my phase 90 yet been pretty happy with it as is so far.... Im going to look into though.... I dig your pedal board that is a nice looking piece of wood.   

Quote from: Baltar on June 03, 2015, 09:45:20 AM
Hey Spook, did you do the R-28 mod to your Phase 90? I fried one trying to add a blinking rate LED to the pot. I've since found out that it gets attached to one of the legs on the IC and grounds out at a resistor. Anyway, I've pulled the legs up on every single resister on the broken 90. I'll have to get Drag Pack Keith to take better pics, my laptop's cam must've been old stock from a Motorola Razor phone.

Also, folding TV dinner tables make great pedal-boards.

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

mortlock

I found a 2x15 cab on cl. its an acoustic model 106. any information would be helpful. the dude is only asking 150 and he is throwing in an acoustic head that may or may not work.

ive been hunting for a 2x15 for awhile. maybe this is the one. im waiting for him to get back to me with condition etc.. naturally there were no pics or much information in the ad.

VOLVO)))

Get it. Send me acoustic head.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

can you fix it and send it back??

mortlock

help needed. as you guys know, im pretty clueless when it comes to electronics/electric stuff, among other things.

heres the issue. i have a stock fender jazz bass with one mod. i had both pick ups wired together so the controls work like a p bass. one tone and one volume. recently ive noticed that at any volume [the louder i turn it up, the more pronounced it gets], the bass has a terrible hum/static issue with the tone setting rolled to the full treble side [which is where i play]. if i roll to the full bass side of the knob the hum/static goes away. i also noticed a lot of static/crackling when i turn the tone knob. is that pot fucked or maybe something else?

thanks in advance.

VOLVO)))

I dunno how broken it is. If you wanna pay to ship it, ship it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: mortlock on January 07, 2016, 01:30:27 PM
help needed. as you guys know, im pretty clueless when it comes to electronics/electric stuff, among other things.

heres the issue. i have a stock fender jazz bass with one mod. i had both pick ups wired together so the controls work like a p bass. one tone and one volume. recently ive noticed that at any volume [the louder i turn it up, the more pronounced it gets], the bass has a terrible hum/static issue with the tone setting rolled to the full treble side [which is where i play]. if i roll to the full bass side of the knob the hum/static goes away. i also noticed a lot of static/crackling when i turn the tone knob. is that pot fucked or maybe something else?

thanks in advance.

Could be a grounding issue. Does it go away when you touch any of the metal parts on your bass?

beerrhino

I have a Sound City 120 that suddenly had the volume cut almost completely out.  With everything on 10 you can just barely hear it if you stand right next to the cab.  There's nothing wrong with any of the cords or guitars being used, and the cab works with other heads so that's not the issue.  Any ideas?

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: beerrhino on June 06, 2016, 09:28:24 AM
I have a Sound City 120 that suddenly had the volume cut almost completely out.  With everything on 10 you can just barely hear it if you stand right next to the cab.  There's nothing wrong with any of the cords or guitars being used, and the cab works with other heads so that's not the issue.  Any ideas?

Could be a dud valve, but it could also be any connection in the signal path failing. Putting everything on 10 makes for a bunch of other stuff going wrong subsequently. Could be a loose impedance selector too.

spookstrickland

Anyone know if the Ehx small clone is a battery hog? Or should I start looking for shorts? 
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Pissy

It's been years since I bought power tubes (EL-34s). Any insight into what's good?  I recall the landscape with quality changed a lot. I think JJs were coming around when last I picked up a quad.  Mullards sounded better, but didn't last as long as Svetlanas.  Any new experiences?
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

sunnydoubled

Quote from: Pissy on February 01, 2017, 03:33:24 PM
It's been years since I bought power tubes (EL-34s). Any insight into what's good?  I recall the landscape with quality changed a lot. I think JJs were coming around when last I picked up a quad.  Mullards sounded better, but didn't last as long as Svetlanas.  Any new experiences?

I've got Mesa Boogie tubes in my Orange AD30, i like them.

dogfood

Quote from: Pissy on February 08, 2017, 06:26:24 PM
Crickets...
I had el34s in my traynor bass masters, had a bias mod added (sort of pricey) to both, put in JJ 6550s, and will never ever fucking waste another penny on an el34.
Problem solving whiskey!

RAGER

Did you get the JJ's from Eurotubes?
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i got an ampeg rocket bass 1x15 combo. i turned it on and it wouldnt turn on. no pop or noise or anything. any ideas what just failed?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i dont see where there even is a fuse. unless you got to open things up surgery style.

RAGER

Is there a removable power cord?  Check that. Is there a pilot light?  Does it come on and no sound?  Can you access the speaker leads?  Are they tight?  Can you access the back of the speaker?  With clips to attach a 9 volt to see if the speaker moves or makes a sound? 
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

no on the power cord.
no on pilot light.
did not come on. no sound.
cannot access speaker leads without major surgery.
no idea if they are tight. cannot access.
no access to back of speaker.
no access to 9v.

RAGER

Have you verified it's even getting power if there's no pilot light?
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I just looked it. It has a blue pilot light right by the switch. It just doesn't come on? 

Is it used?
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Ive owned the amp since new which is about 18 or 19 years. Its been a workhorse. The blue light went on i played through it, then i switched it off to hook up a fx pedal and when i went to turn back on, nothing. Completely dead. I plugged a dif amp into exact same outlet and it was fine.