Stevie Ray Vaughan ~ Best Little Blueshouse In Texas

Started by MikeyT, December 09, 2010, 01:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyT

CD, Live At Antone's, Austin, Texas. Recorded Feb. 26 and 27, 1983. Released 1997.
Strider SR 002.

Six tracks:

1. Crosscut Saw (w/Albert King & his band)  13:13
2. So Excited                                            3:31
3. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)                   11:14
4. The Things I Used To Do                         7:18
5. Pride And Joy                                        4:14
6. Tin Pan Alley                                        13:02

Could this be a soundboard recording ?
There is some hum when you turn it up, but the sound is HUGE and clear. Big, fat tones from the Bass & Guitar.
Seriously, it is Heavy for a Blues record. Very few live releases sound this good. It's almost like being there.

Got this at a record show not long after it was released, and I have to say it is one of my prized possessions. Not saying it's the best SRV album out there, but I really like it because of the unusual sound quality and some of the performances.

You get to hear Albert King talking about Stevie (who was more or less his protege) at the beginning of Crosscut Saw, saying things like "Wonder where that other guitar player went ? He must have been scared (of Stevie)."

I won't run through all the songs, but I would like to mention one:

Stevie always did a great job on the Guitar Slim classic; but this version of Slim's 'The Things I Used to Do' is especially fine, and one of the best things about the album. It just has a great feel.
 Sometimes Stevie bored me in the studio, but live he tended to loosen up a bit, and that was when he really became interesting. For example, he's playing along, and at one point he begins playing a little figure, leaving one string open, creating a kind of unison/drone effect. He just keeps banging on it for awhile, creating a feeling of tension, then explodes into a wailing Albert Kingesque solo. It's the bee's knees !

I think I got this jewel for 15. Wish I'd gotten more copies while I had the chance.

neighbor664

Sounds like it'd be good. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Woody

MikeyT

Wish I'd bought those extra copies so I could send you one.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Woody

I'm sure it's floating around somewhere out there. A good friend of mine collects bootlegs, I'll see if he can track it down.

mortlock

i love all SRV..i saw him the summer just before he died. it was like within a month. he opened for joe cocker. stevie came out, ripped the heads off of everyone in the place, then walked off the stage. i went home after that. i was done, there was nothing more to be gained by staying. it was that powerful.

MikeyT

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'