Operator Generator - Polar Fleet

Started by MadJohnShaft, June 15, 2013, 01:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

This awesomegaydouchebag CD is terrific - the music is driving and soaring, icy like the North Pole and full of echoing mid to high register vocals.   Lyrics are about astronomy, ice, and igloos, "Rise Warrior".  They have an EP as well.

I seen this band at Emissions Chicago after being a big fan of this CD and was looking forward to see them again a month later in Shod Dallas but they had broken up on the road. Killer live band and you could tell they were veteran live performers and well rehearsed.

The lead guy looked like a Rock Star and a Sleep guy was on bass I believe.  They have a powerful rhythm section and some hot grooves.  Solid song writing and I remember this as being well received when it came out. The songs are very memorable. They are not afraid to be uptempo or prog in the same song. A must have for any fan of CDs.  Without looking they can only be from California and only have been on Man's Ruin. (looked - yep).

If you were going to try to turn your idiot tasteless cousin onto Stoner Rock you would include this. If you steal this on MP3 format you will go to hell when you die. You can get high to this shit, listen to it on an airplane, or make love to to a fine looking lady to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60bGKXm3IgU

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Baron

FUCK!, that's a great review!

I GOTTA have it!  I just GOTTA!

CanookieWookie

I have this cd, and indeed it is very good.  What ever happened to these fools?

JemDooM

Omg definetly gonna get it right nowz, I let you know what I think k...
DooM!

tastelikedirt

They were from San Jose California. Thomas Choi was in Asbestos Death and plays guitar with Operator Generator.

MadJohnShaft

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on July 01, 2013, 08:46:44 AM
I thought that was the bassist

He played guitar.  The band imploded on the road, the singer quit and someone else finished out the tour singing as best as they could, if I remember correctly.  They never resurfaced afterwards.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

MadJohnShaft

No, they never made it from Chicago Emissions to Dallas SHoD a month later.

SabbathJeff

Wait...was this that band with Choi, from Sleep way back in the day day? 
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

SabbathJeff

Yeah it was...holy shit man.  Wish i still had that one.
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

Ayek

I had a work car some years back that got a duped cassette of Polar Fleet and The Art of Self Defence stuck in the tape player for about 6 months. Never got tired of it. When I did manage to get the tape out, I shrugged my shoulders and stuck the thing back in there. If Operator: Generator stuck around a little bit longer they'd be one of thee bands of StonerRockin'. As it is, they are anyway, but only to the few.
There were rumours of the singer Mitchell starting a band with Tony from Canyon Creep, but it never eventuated.

MichaelZodiac

I dig this. Can somebody send me the mp3s? Kthnxbye.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan