The Whisky thread

Started by tossom, September 29, 2011, 07:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tossom

Initially I thought I would call this the "Malt Whisky thread", but then realised I have vatted malts and deluxe blends that I enjoy as well as malts.  I am yet to enjoy a sour grain mash American style whiskey, but am willing to experiment.

Post your favourites, leave tasting notes of new bottles - tell us what to avoid too!  SR.com had a few whisky lovers so we shall see how this goes. Whisky lovers unite :)
"Beige rock"

tossom

To start us off, if you can get your hands on "double barrel" Bowmore and Highland Park then do so.  Bought it for the head wetting of my 2nd son 18 months ago, had another try of it with a friend last week.  Bloody good stuff. Nice taste of oak, quite sweet too and has a kick of smoke at the end - something Highland Park (one of my local whiskys) lacks for me.

I am lucky enough to have a fantastic whisky shop locally, guy who works there really knows his stuff.  It is a vatted Bowmore single cask 10 year and Highland Park single cask 10 year.

I think I might have mentioned this on the old site, not sure.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-10255.aspx

"Beige rock"

Discö Rice

man... I need a better income.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

MadJohnShaft

Founded as a dry community, Evanston was home to many influential advocates for Prohibition who effectively kept the city free of alcohol for more than one hundred years.

Though the city legalized drinking in the late Nineties, it took the perseverance of our Master Distiller, Paul Hletko, to reverse the antiquated liquor laws. With roots going back to some of Europe's fabled brewing families, Paul and FEW Spirits have marked the end of Evanston's Prohibition and given the city its very own craft distillery.

Evanston let a restaurant open that sells carry-outs a block from our house - and allowed in a distillery too. I got some of their white whiskey. Prohibition's finest.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

mortlock

i normally only have my whisky in the form of shots of jack..i didnt realize there were other options.

The Shocker

Yeah just Bourbon or Rye for me.

I,Galactus

No fair tossom, being from Scotland!   :)

I don't know much about whisky, but I know I do love me some Talisker:

Tasting notes include ... umm ... peat? sinus cleanser?   ???

As far as bourbon goes, I a Maker's Mark man, through and through.

Toured the distillery several years ago, got to eat mash right out of the vat (delicious booze oatmeal!), and met the cranky old lady that hand dips every bottle.  If you're ever driving through Kentucky, I highly recommend the tour.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

black

^what he said!^

I too took the tour (actually did a motorcycle tour of Kentucky and Tennesee distilleries). Cool place, fun to stick your finger in the mash vats and yeah, those old biddies doing the dipping are a grouchy lot. I imagine they have been on the job since the late 1800's.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

tossom

I've only been on one distillery tour so far, Highland Park.  Plan on doing all the Islay distilleries some day, Islay ones being my favourites.  Though, Tallisker is in close contention too.

Tonight I am having Tomintoul 10 year, it has to be the sweetest whisky I have in my collection.  Really easy to drink.

In reponse to I,Galactus, I reckon easy access to whisky is one of the few perks of living in Scotland!
"Beige rock"

Jor el

I loves me the Makers.
I think I got hooked on the 46.

Deanster,
Care to recommend a Rye?
What Would Scooby Do ?

The Shocker

Quote from: Jor el on September 30, 2011, 09:36:50 PM

I loves me the Makers.
I think I got hooked on the 46.

Deanster,
Care to recommend a Rye?

I'm not the best to recommend a Rye as Mississippi only has about 3 or 4 Ryes available for sale compared to 30-40 Bourbons.  I usually drink Rittenhouse or the new Bulliet rye.  The only other Ryes available here are Jim Beam rye & Wild Turkey rye, which are ok.

My favorite Bourbon is Old Rip Van Winkle, but is is only occasionally available here.  It's wheated, which I like.  Big fan of Bulliet Bourbon and I've been digging that new Jim Beam's Devil's Cut too.

EGO the Living Planet

I usually get myself a Knob Creek or Maker's Mark on the rocks with a ginger ale or lemonade. Maker's is nice mixed with the lemonade too.
Merchandise keeps us in line
Common sense says it's by design
What could a businessman ever want more
than to have us sucking in his store

gatorsnot

I loves Knob Creek and Gentleman Jack. Of course there's financial moments when Jim Beam works out great.

mortlock

i really need to do a distillery tour..the makers mark pic is awesome..

MadJohnShaft

My Step-dad, whom is Scottish, likes Laprhroaig quarter cask, got some, like it too:

Volume

^Quarter Cask is really good. I just bought the Triple Wood, but haven't opened it up yet.

Like tossom I'm a fan of the Islay single malts.

MadJohnShaft

Nice to know.

I wonder if I could take my White Whiskey from Evanston and put it in one of these hobby whiskey barrels?

http://www.kentuckybarrels.com/hobbybarrels.html

How do I cure the barrel? Barrels should be cured prior to use. Start by filling the barrel with  hot water and leave it to soak for a day. This allows the barrel to swell tightly against the hoops and ensure that the barrel doesn't leak.

Are glues or nails used to make the barrel? No, our barrels are all hand crafted with no use of glues or nails.
How should the barrel be stored? Barrels are best stored in a cool damp environment such as a wine cellar. This will keep the exterior from drying out and minimize evaporation (Angels Share). 

How many times can I use my barrel? With proper care, you can use your barrel for 8 to 10 years. Following the cleaning and re-charing instructions will insure a long life for your product and be sure to not let your barrel dry out.

I left my barrel dry for an extended time. Now it leaks... what do I do? In many cases just re-cure the barrel. If it continues leaking, submerge the barrel in water for a couple of days. After it's been submerged, dry the exterior with a towel and fill it with water to see if it continues to leak. If so, find the leak and apply barrel wax to the hole...  You may have to tap the hoops in toward the center of the barrel to tighten up the staves, this should stop the leek. If you can't stop the leaking... cut in half and use as a planter!

Cleaning your barrel

How often do I clean my barrel? When aging hard spirits such as whiskey, rum or tequila, clean the barrel after two or three batches (or every 1 to 2 years). For wine, cider, liquor or other low alcohol content spirits, clean after each batch.

How do I clean  my barrel? 1) Dissolve the Barrel-Kleen into warm water. Fill the barrel with this cleaning solution and soak for 24 hours. Empty and rinse 3 times with hot water.

2) Dissolve the Neutralizing Acid into warm water. Fill the barrel with this neutralizing solution and soak for 15 minutes. Empty and rinse the barrel 3 times with hot water.

3) To re-char the barrel interior, drain the barrel for 3 hours. Place a butane torch in the bung and spigot hole and re-char the inside.

To prevent the barrel from drying out and minimize the possibility of contamination, barrels should always be stored full with spirits or water with sterilizing solution.

***See cleaning package directions for exact mixture quantities.

How do I store my barrel? When storing the barrel fill the barrel with a mixture of sterilizing tablets and cool water. Fill the barrel with the solution and leave in a cool damp place until you are ready to use again.

Aging spirits
How long do I age my spirits? There's no formula for the perfect time to age your spirits. Age to taste! We suggest you taste your spirits every week and once aged to YOUR taste, start drinking or move it to a glass bottle to stop the aging process.
Do smaller barrels age the spirit faster than large barrels? Yes... due to the greater surface or contact area ratio, small size barrels will age 5 to 10 times faster then your standard 55 gallon barrel. These means that one month in a small barrel will produce the equivalent aging to 1 to 1 1/2 years in a full size barrel.

The Shocker

black

"i really need to do a distillery tour..the makers mark pic is awesome.."

Do it, mortlock!
The Maker's Mark distillery was probably the best, tour-wise. It's on a beutiful estate and they take you around it and fill you with historical facts before heading to the distillery proper. You get to see every step of the process--no place is off limits and like I, Galactus said, you get to stick your fingers in the mash vats! The tour ends in the sealing and packaging room and on some days, they let you try your hand at dipping a bottle in the wax. The downside is the distillery is in a dry county, but they give you a Maker's Mark bon-bon and a map to the closest liquor stores!

Knob Creek was a good one too, but the preseved/maintained grounds at Maker's Mark was a really nice extra. Actually the whole back country/knobs of Kentucky are beautiful and doing it on motorcycles certainly gives one a closer sense of it all. This time of year is the best, as it wasn't too hot or cold and some of the leaves had begun to turn. Fucking pretty nature and well paved roads.

Yeah, do it.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

tossom

A night of cleaning up the house means I am enjoying a well deserved dram of a local malt - Highland Park 12 year.  Not a favourite, but nice all the same.
"Beige rock"

libertycaps

My bottle of Highland Park 12 was really oily/petrol. Was that bottle a one off or is it always like that?
I'll be contributing to this thread as i get new bottles throughout the year. I've had enough Single Malt to know what i like and don't now. I'm a snob now or at "mastery." Call it what you like.....

Currently it's The Balvenie 15: Deserty with candy floss and caramel corn notes, iodine, sea salt, some peat, a bit firey on the palate for 15 years of age (my bottle was on the shelf for another 2, as well.) Mouthfeel is a bit light. Wish it lingered a bit more. It's a bit like a light-weight Oban. Notes are less fully developed as. At $80 it's a 50/50. Won't refuse it, but won't buy another bottle anytime soon.

Jor el

liberty,
Sounds like you mean business.

I am in no way a pro-drinker, but I have some favourite bourbons...yet, at the same time - I bet if I were blindfolded, I wouldn't know what the fuck I was drinking.
I don't think I drink often enough to get beyond that point.
What Would Scooby Do ?

libertycaps

heh. Don't start is my advice. You'll get into it light at first, then go nuts, spend a shitload of cash you should put in the bank and gain 30lbs. Then again, you only live once. Carpe diem and all that nonsense.
I just got done laying off the booze for almost a year and dropped the 30lbs. I've kept all the Scotch boxes i really liked and a few 50/50's. They are sitting like doomy monuments to my past on top of my kitchen cabinets. I fancy they look kinda good up there, tbh. If you are curious about a particular Single Malt, i'm sure tossom or myself or another Scotch drinker here has an informed opinion.
First thing is to read up a bit and buy a bottle. Then go from there. It's an acquired thing. You'll know PDQ if Scotch is for you or not.

I've found this website useful:
http://www.forpeatsake.com/
Straight to the point. Reviews. I lurk on there alot, esp. when debating my next purchase.

libertycaps

On sale for $45? Oh fuck. Couldn't pass it by as it's one of my fave Islay Single Malts.
Review?
Let's see...Nose/palate: Leather, wool, iodine, peat, sea salt, tobacco, phenol, bubblegum, starched sheets, malt, flower pollen, esters, cedar wood, honey. Very mature tipple for 10 years of age. Esp. viscous mouthfeel that lingers for a very long time and the notes are quite developed and strong. One of the trifecta of Islay Single Malts. Enjoy.

Sorry. Had to add/edit my review. There's alot going on with this dram. The notes just keep coming as oxygen fills the bottle. For the price point, this whisky is difficult to top.

tossom

Quote from: libertycaps on December 31, 2011, 09:41:13 PM

On sale for $45? Oh fuck. Couldn't pass it by as it's on of my fave Islay Single Malts.
Review?
Let's see...Nose/palate: Leather, iodine, sea salt, bubblegum, starched sheets, flowers in bloom, honey.
Very mature for it's age. One of the trifecta of Islay Single Malts. Enjoy.

Want it.  Slightly left (or right) of sober at the moment, but love Ardbeg.  This is a love or hate whisky I think, the taste of the iodine and the salt is pretty strong - as is the peat and smoke.  Not one for a first timer or inexperienced whisky drinker as it could put you off it for good.

Liberty, locally people have been saying the "new" Highland Park 12 (now in oval shaped bottles) is not as good as the previous batch (sold in short, round bottles).  They have redone their marketing, different labels and new bottles.  The Orcadian word for what you described is "slecky" - leaves a kind of oily coating in your mouth.  Usless info!  If you can get hold of it in the US, try Douglas Laing's "Double Barrel" I mentioned earlier in thread:

http://www.whisky-online.com/double-barrel.html
"Beige rock"