Is there any way to make boneless, skinless chicken breasts taste good?

Started by The Shocker, April 07, 2012, 04:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Bone in, skin on chicken is awesome, but sometimes I eat the boneless, skinless breasts in an attempt to eat healthy(er).  I really don't like them, but I figure some of you here might have some good recipes for them.  Anybody?

Ryno

The poultry version is barely different from the others. In fact I use the fish stuff on steaks and vice versa. Coat with olive oil, then shake a bunch of that seasoning on both sides. Throw it in a med-hi cast iron pan and let the magic happen. I also cook em on the grill that way.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

RAGER

Well in my opinion there's aboot a million ways but a few of mine are marinating in evoo, salt, and black pepper and grilling until 165 degrees.  Slice and ejoy on a caesar salad.

Pan roasting is another good one.

Slice thin and skewer with a little teriyaki.

This works with either white meat or dark.  Boil some new potatoes or Yukon Golds, put into a roasting pan and let slightly cool, take whole thighs or quartered breasts and pan sear them with salt and pepper, just slightly kinda squish the taters add in a can of diced low sodium tomatoes, the browned chicken, generous amounts of rosemary (go for a walk and you'll sees it growing unkempt in peoples yards.  Steal theirs don;t buy any) add several glugs  of evoo some salt and pepper mix together put in 325 oven for 40 mins.  Enjoy  Chicken tray bake.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Seasoning and marinades. And don't overcook them. Figure out what the borderline of 'undercooked' is, and go just beyond that. You'll have to experiment a little, because they come in different thicknesses.

Also, cooking skin-on and then removing the skin before eating works just as well, and keeps the chicken moist. Kinda wastes whatever seasoning or marinades you use, but if you're going to process the meat further it can be fine. (Chicken salad, etc)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Quote from: Lumpy on April 07, 2012, 06:16:41 PM
Seasoning and marinades. And don't overcook them. Figure out what the borderline of 'undercooked' is, and go just beyond that. You'll have to experiment a little, because they come in different thicknesses.

Thermometer in the thickest part should read 165.  Pull it, let it rest a few minutes and serve.
No Focus Pocus

The Shocker

Thanks for the advice guys.  I suspect one reason I haven't liked them much is that they've been overcooked.

The Shocker

mutantcolors

Breast is the tits and yes, you've probably been overdoing it. I'll batch cook maybe 4 or 5, pan roasting is the easiest. I "bread" them with a combo of stuff. Romano cheese, off the shelf seasoned bread crumbs, Mrs. Dash, this lemon fish fry batter. Citrus zest on top goes a long way as well.

Ryno

^^^that sounds delicious.

Another way is to slice into strips or chunks. Drop in egg/ pepper/ spice mixture then into seasoned panko crumbs.  Coat and Bake at 400 for 15 mins for amazing chicken nuggets and strips. Custom sriracha ranch to dip that shit in. Omgyummers.mmmmm...
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

Lumpy

this is basically Lumpy's Mom's approach to chicken in general (tons of leeway in the recipe as you will see). Betty Crocker probably invented this.

Mix of grated parmesan (romano) from a can (or fresh grated) with cornflake crumbs (find it in the Bake aisle) (or breadcrumbs). Cornflake crumbs are awesome though. Say one cup of cornflake crumbs, one cup of cheese.

Add a whole bunch of garlic powder (a tablespoon), maybe a half tablespoon of white pepper (<--- do not skip) plus some black pepper and some dashes of cayenne too, if you feel like it. You can mix it up by hand. White pepper is what Colonel Sanders uses... you should use it too.

First dip in egg wash (add milk or half and half too, if you have it. 50/50 is about right) Then into the breading. Bake on a greased sheet.

I make a low carb version using almond flour instead of cornflake crumbs.

You don't need to measure anything, about half cheese and half crumbs/almond flour is right. Fresh grated cheese is nice, but canned Kraft grated parmesan cheese is actually just fine, especially if you already have it around for some crazy reason. For 6-8 breasts, you could use almost 2 cups of this mix... you can go heavy with the coating. I've even double dipped before. You can also make chicken fingers like this, if you want more coating per bite (just cut the breasts up first, duh). That way uses up a lot of coating, and the pieces cook pretty quick.

(I don't know if any of this is low calorie, if that is what you're trying to do)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

rayinreverse

Last night I took 2 large breasts and split them in half lengthwise. Covered in a few tablespoons of evoo,salt,pepper,and some fresh thyme. Bake in small roasting pan at 425 for 25 mintues. Came out nice.

NCR600

Don't buy chicken breast.

Buy the thigh fillets, they have a marginally higher fat content but taste much, much better. The only time I use chicken breast is when I buy a whole chicken when I intend on making stock with the bones, or unless a recipe specifically needs it. Even then I'm likely to replace it with thigh or drumstick meat if I can.

mutantcolors

I enjoy both and just buy whatever is the best deal. That said, thighs do have more natural flavor. I just posted in the MEAT thread about doing like 5lb at a time in a crock pot. Just be sure to sift out the cartilage from the joints once it falls off the bones.

rayinreverse

Quote from: NCR600 on April 13, 2012, 11:23:14 AM
Don't buy chicken breast.

Buy the thigh fillets, they have a marginally higher fat content but taste much, much better. The only time I use chicken breast is when I buy a whole chicken when I intend on making stock with the bones, or unless a recipe specifically needs it. Even then I'm likely to replace it with thigh or drumstick meat if I can.

i generally buy thighs, because they are cheaper, but they have way more fat, and a little dark meat. They arent a direct replacement in my opinion. I do love thighs though.

Live2B

Pound them flat inbetween saran wrap
put some spinach (fresh or canned) and a slice of swiss on them, then roll up and secure with toothpicks
put them in a casserole dish and season to taste
cover it all with pre-cooked rice
pour a can of mushroom or celery soup mixed with a can of water over the entire thing, cover and bake
(writing that made my mouth water...)

Demon Lung

On a grill set at high temp it should take no longer than 8 minutes to grill a piece of boneless chicken. 2 min turn 2 min flip and repeat. If you know cook times then using the time method of cooking is always best. Especially for grilling. You should know where all of the hot/cold spots on your grill are.

Demon Lung

The hellmans mayo Parmesan recipe is good. Not exactly healthy though

RAGER

Quote from: Demon Lung on April 14, 2012, 08:06:21 AM
On a grill set at high temp it should take no longer than 8 minutes to grill a piece of boneless chicken. 2 min turn 2 min flip and repeat. If you know cook times then using the time method of cooking is always best. Especially for grilling. You should know where all of the hot/cold spots on your grill are.

Not quite mister.  A full boneless breast is gonna take longer than 8 min.  If you're gonna go for "just done", yiou gotta use a meat thermometer.  When stuck in the thickest part it should read 165 F
No Focus Pocus

rayinreverse

I was going to disagree with the 8 minute thing too. Ive never been able to finish a breast on a charcoal grill faster than 8 min per side maybe.

Demon Lung

Quote from: RAGER on April 14, 2012, 10:41:22 AM
Quote from: Demon Lung on April 14, 2012, 08:06:21 AM

Not quite mister.  A full boneless breast is gonna take longer than 8 min.  If you're gonna go for "just done", yiou gotta use a meat thermometer.  When stuck in the thickest part it should read 165 F
I'm talking about a cutlet. No a full breast

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Mr Neutron

i was thinking of making some cutlets tonight with a crushed peanut butter capt. crunch coating.
Probably do it with a good mixed greens salad, maybe some strawberries too, if I can find some that are appetizing.
"Where words fail, music speaks."

Demon Lung

I made some grilled chicken tenders with grilled zucchini and a red Potato salad for dinner. With a homemade honey mustard