Fresh Eggs!

Started by The Shocker, September 20, 2012, 09:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

So yummy!

One of my employees brings me fresh eggs every week. The ones on the left are duck eggs.

MadJohnShaft

Yeah - the ones we get from our meat share are unreal. I have a new relationship with eggs.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

bitter

Other than being larger, do duck eggs differ (even slightly) in flavor from chicken eggs?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Sam Hain

Nothing like fresh eggs....well almost!

deleted account

(not being a smartass) when do eggs start to get stale?

I,Galactus

Quote from: bitter on September 20, 2012, 08:15:01 PM
Other than being larger, do duck eggs differ (even slightly) in flavor from chicken eggs?

A little gamier IMO.  They're also supposed to be great for baking due to their whites having more protein.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

MadJohnShaft

The Fresh Eggs seem to last forever - probably because they got such a head-start on the ones from the grocery store.

strangelight

Quote from: priest on September 21, 2012, 12:18:24 PM

put the egg in a bowl of water. if it sinks to the bottom, it's super fresh. if it stands up on one end but part is still touching the bottom, it's still good. if the egg floats to the top of the water, it's spoiled and it's time to go.

Sam Hain

Quote from: priest on September 21, 2012, 12:18:24 PM
Not sure how long they last but I do know that eggs can be returned to the distributor for cleaning and sterilization, the returned to tbe market. You can tell an old egg if you look closely at the egg, you may see a laser etched line. If those go back to distributor they are destroyed. Saw this on 60 Minutes or some show like that.

MadJohnShaft

Another fun thing - double yolks and green shelled eggs (although I think ours stopped raising the green shelled egg chickens)

the yolk is very yellow and very upright.

rayinreverse

We get super fresh eggs from my wifes coworker.
I love them. Yolks SUPER yellow. They fry up nice. Much more flavor.
The only draw back is peeling after hard boiling. Though I did try steaming them for the first time, and those peeled like a motherfucking dream!!!! the yolk was cooked perfect too.

The Shocker

Quote from: rayinreverse on September 25, 2012, 05:28:07 PM
We get super fresh eggs from my wifes coworker.
I love them. Yolks SUPER yellow. They fry up nice. Much more flavor.
The only draw back is peeling after hard boiling. Though I did try steaming them for the first time, and those peeled like a motherfucking dream!!!! the yolk was cooked perfect too.

Steaming eggs?  Please tell me more.

rayinreverse

steamer basket.
steam them for 20 minutes. once 20 is up, put in cold water.
they peel so bloody amazing!!! and they cook nice too. steam will over cook them pretty fast as well. but I definitely went over 20 on the last batch because I couldnt hear the timer, probably by a few minutes easy, and only a few yolks had the green ring of overcookedness.

The Shocker

I love a 3-3.5 min egg.

MadJohnShaft

Read this thread on steaming eggs:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/777314

Or pressure cooking eggs:

Add eggs to pressure cooker
Cover eggs with an over an inch of water
Run pressure cooker until it locks (vs when it starts to steam)
Run for five more minutes
Use water to quickly cool and open cooker
Put eggs in very cold water to cool
Eat (yum :)

rayinreverse

I have dropped my steam time from 20 to 15, but I dont think 10 would be enough for me.
I started steaming, because I get such fresh eggs, they can be a total bastard to peel. Even at 15 min they can be difficult to peel after being in the fridge for a few days.
We usually get 2 doze eggs a week. We boil one dozen for breakfasts, and keep the other doz for misc shit.

MadJohnShaft

Evanston IL, God bless them, authorized Urban Chicken farming so I could get some chickens if I want. So far, only two people have done this, per the City.

Should I get a chicken coop next spring?   I think that would push my wife over the edge.

khoomeizhi

let's dispense the unpleasantries

MadJohnShaft

We have Urban Coyotes though. 

Lumpy

How badly do you hate the neighbors? I think that would play into your decision re: coop/no coop.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

khoomeizhi

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on October 05, 2012, 05:02:13 PM
We have Urban Coyotes though. 

that's why they're in the coop at night.

MadJohnShaft

We have possum, raccoons, hawks/falcons/crows, foxes and coyote - also crazed gunmen and street people - outdoor cats. Chicken friendly?

khoomeizhi

not terribly, but there are all those things out in the country, where they raise chickens, too. this is where you get a chance to feel all good about yourself for building the impenetrable chicken fortress. get a breed that's not just bred to stand in a barn and peck food, box 'em up well at night, and they'll do okay.

and then you'll never feel like you can take a vacation again, unless it's the 'fuck the wife, kids, AND chickens, i'm outta here' part of the midlife crisis.

The Shocker

My Grandmother's next door neighbors in fucking Metairie Louisiana had chickens in their back yard.  Fucking roosters start crowing before dawn, usually around 4:30-5:00.  If one of them got over the fence, Mee Maw would ring its neck & toss it back over the fence.  Hardcore.