So any Kindle users here?

Started by The Shocker, March 15, 2011, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

I really love books, but am really running out of room for them (and I can't get rid of them).  My wife has said I can get a Kindle if it means not buying books that we don't have room for.  On the fence about it - feel like it's cheating somehow.  Anybody here have one, opinions about them? 

peterlies

I just went through this two weeks ago. Finally broke down and picked up the Kindle. Great decision. I am simply amazed at the quality of the text and the comfort of holding it, not to mention the instant access to new books. The strangeness of reading my favorite authors in electronic format wore off in about 45 minutes.

I love old, dusty out-of-print books and there are still plenty of new books I will physically buy, but the Kindle is well worth it.

The Shocker

Did you get the big one or the little one?

peterlies

I picked up the newest 6'' ($139), wifi only. The 3G one didn't seem worth an extra $50 to me. There are alot of options for text size/spacing on it so I'm able to get it set just how I like it.

The Shocker

So it's basically paperback size?  Gonna go with that one, don't need 3G.

peterlies

Yep, paperback sized, maybe oversized paperback

peoplething

The wife's an avid reader and we have and full book cases all over the house. She picked one up a while ago and really digs it. The only minor complaints she's had is that the 9.7" may have been a bit nicer to wield and the no back-light thing is kinda sucky.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

black

Received the 3G one at Xmas. I love books and was a bit skeptical, but wow, it's really a cool thing. It's as thin as can be and doesn't weigh much at all. petrerlies is right, it's really comfortable to use, you can adjust the fonts, text size, rotate the screen and all kinds of cool stuff.( it will even read aloud to you if you are too lazt to actually read) Built in dictionary(s) and thesaurus that are easy to use. (I can finally know what the big word I read really means and not use it too out of context when trying to impress) The lack of back light is, I supposre, a drag, but then again, I never had a book that was back lit. It's also really cool to look at. By that I mean the screen isn't like looking at a computer screen. It's electronic ink on electronic paper. Don't ask me what that means, but rest assured, it's easy on the eyes. Also, if you like to read in bed, or while reclining, it can't be beat.  So light and easy to turn the 'pages'.

My girlfriend (who bought it for me) is way more into technology than I am, and decided to go with the 3G. From what I can tell, the main advantage is being able to download stuff anywhere. You don't have to be in a wi-fi type zone. Oh yeah, besides books, you can get magazines and blogs and it's also an mp3 player. It can surf the web and there is no monthly or extra fee for being 3G. When my g-friend started asking me if I wanted one, I was fairly skeptical and was pretty much against it. I love books and only use a cell phone as a phone. I figured this would be some goofy ass gadget that would just make me mad. This was one time where I am happy to be wrong. I love books and the asthetics of reading one. I am just as stoked on the Kindle. Shit, you can put the fucker in the inner pocket of a jean jacket and not even knoew it's there. I no longer feel impatient when anyone or anything is delaying my deal, as I always have something to read with me now, and it's super compact and convienant.

Whoa, sorry for the sales pitch. (kinda caffinated) I think either way you go, you'll be stoked. Let us know what you decide deaner33. I'd be interested in what you think about it.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

The Shocker

Well I probably won't get one until June for my b'day.  I could have gotten one now, but needed a new cell phone more and honestly I have at least 25 books I still need to read before I get one.  Saw the 3G model at the cell phone store - looks to be a good size, but will get the model without 3G.

black

deaner33--if you get the chance, pick one up and give it a test run and see what we mean about the weight and versitility.

The Shocker

I fooled around a little with the one at the store.  It's so light it almost feels like a toy.  I do like the electronic ink screen-although I wish it did color (but then again, most novels ain't in color).  I'll get one, just depends on finances and the mood of the old lady.  The only question I have about them now is the durability - didn't really seem that flimsy, but it's so light...

black

Well...as a lifelong klutz/stoner, I have to say that I have droped mine a few times already with no adverse reaction. I do have a cover on it when I'm lugging it around (usually in my backpack) and it's taken some abuse in transit. Again, no problem at all. Not sure how it would hold up to getting wet or submerged. Then again, my girlfriend (knowing my spastic ways) also included an extended warranty on mine.

I know what you mean about the color thing. Some books like the Keith Richards bio had a series of color pictures and I was glad I had the book version because of that. On the other hand, many of the other books--in particularly music bios--that I have on the Kindle, reproduce the pictures in pretty fucking sharp quality. In the end, I think as a reader, you will strike a balance with both "real" books and stuff on a Kindle and be stoked to have such a handy device.

demon gal

black

Thanks dg!
I'm still learning about places like that. Apprieciate the link.

demon gal

No prob. I don't have an eReader but I happen to run across an article that mentioned that link. Also I heard Public Libraries are uploading their books for rental. No more late fees.

The Shocker

Well I pulled the trigger today - it should be here Tuesday.  Now to decide which book to put on it first...

black

Killer!
From what I've gleaned here, you are a reader and I think you will totally dig this gadget.
Let us know man.

The Shocker

Ha! For some reason that is amusing - guess there are so few readers nowadays.  I like the idea of having a couple (or more) of books on there at a time cause I always seem to be reading a couple of books around the house now. 

Damn, I wish the Goldmine priceguide book was available for it...

So how does it work with computers and phones?  If you get the Kindle version, you can look the book on all of your devices?

The Shocker

Well it came in today, first book ordered/downloaded is Game of Thrones.  Away I go...

giantchris

I just wanted to point the one issue I've had with the Kindle is I used it for a book for college and when it came time to write a literary analysis of said book the Kindle currently has no page numbers and it takes awhile to page to what you need so I had to rebuy the book.  That being said I abosolutely love mine but if any of you are in college I might hold off on buying your books to read until they add at least page numbers.  I had a bunch of passages highlighted for my papers and I had to re-look all of them up.

black

Hey deaner33

How's it going with the Kindle?
Inquiring minds and all that.

The Shocker

Absolutely no complaints so far.  Reading Game Of Thrones right now.  It's the only book I've bought for it so far, but I've loaded a lot of the free classics available.  Charged it when I got it, have been reading it about half an hour a night for the last 2 weeks and the battery is at 3/4ths strength.  Love the screen and it works well in all of the lighting situations I've been in.

Highly recommended.

black

Cool!

Good to hear that Man. I have been digging mine and I'm stoked to know that it's working out for y'all.

The Shocker

The only thing that is irritating is that there are still plenty of books not available on the Kindle (true crime books especially), but that may not be Amazon's/Kindle's fault.

black

Yeah, I have been bugged at that a little. I figure since this is a somewhat new technology it may be a while for everything to be on there. I also wonder if publishers pay attention when people click that button saying that it will inform the publisher that folks want it in Kindle form, or if that's some sort of placation type thing.

Usually I don't mind, as I still enjoy a "real" book.