Help with Horslips

Started by RnRJanitor, April 25, 2011, 10:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RnRJanitor

So I just found the video for Dearg Doom, after searching for some Slough Feg stuff. I like that song, but from what I've heard the albums are a bit hit and miss. Which albums should I start with?

MikeyT

The only album I heard by them was the one with their version of the traditional song, 'King Of The Fairies".

It wasn't a very good album; but their take on KOTF is great.

Yeah, I know, I wasn't much help.  ;D
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

RnRJanitor

There's a cool video of them playing King of the Fairies on top of a bank. I like their take on it, and Dearg Doom has been stuck in my head for about a week now.

MikeyT

I'll look for that other song you mentioned on youtube when I get a chance.
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

RnRJanitor

The Shocker

I've heard the first 3 albums and like them equally.  Not really a go to band for me, but they are interesting.  How's that for a non-recommendation? 

If pressed I'd go with Dancehall Sweethearts, which has King of the Fairies on it.

Coyote Duster

I am a fanatic and aficionado of all things Horslips!!  They had three distinct periods - the early folksy, psych era  which was heavy on the traditional instruments; the middle rock era with a more upfront sound almost like Tull but still with traditional melodies and instruments mixed in; and the late "skinny tie" era in which they attempted to ride the "new wave"  and go for a straight rock sound with minimal traditional instruments and melodies.

"Dearg Doom" comes from "The Tain" which is the best album of the early period.  I love the album with its epic concept approach but it does suffer from a "lo-fi" sound typical of their early stuff.  A safe bet is to pick up "The Book of Invasions" and "Aliens" from their middle period.  More concept albums with a lot of variety and a more polished, driving sound.  These are probably their best two albums overall.

The first album from the new wave period, "The Man Who Built America" is also quite good, and radio-friendly.  You'll be playing air guitar along with the power chords.

There has been a Horslips renaissance of sorts over the past few years with reunion shows and lots of renewed interest.  There's also an excellent DVD documentary if you can find it, called "Return of the Dancehall Sweethearts".  It has a bunch of live footage and video clips from every era, none of which I had EVER SEEN before as there wasn't a whole lot of coverage of Horslips action in the USA back in the 70's.