Captain Beyond - ST

Started by The Shocker, December 05, 2010, 06:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Has to be a thread about this one.  If you don't like this masterpiece, I don't want to know ya.

Doommantia

I have been listening to the album since the mid 80's, if you head to youtube you will find live Captain Beyond videos also that I uploaded. I did have them selling on Ebay too on DVD but I got into trouble over that one.

sleestak

I think I have that live DVD floating about somewhere.  Will have to break that gem out.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

The Shocker

Quote from: Doommantia on December 05, 2010, 09:20:23 PM
I have been listening to the album since the mid 80's, if you head to youtube you will find live Captain Beyond videos also that I uploaded. I did have them selling on Ebay too on DVD but I got into trouble over that one.

Try selling on ioffer.  They have tons of boots for sale there.  Those videos on youtube are cool.

Doommantia

Thanks, I will look at that site. I don't really care about making money, I just like spreading the music. I was selling the DVD on Ebay for just $5, just enough to cover postage and the cost of the blank DVD. Someone told me once there is a home-made live DVD of a show they did in Texas but to this day, I have never seen it.

diasdegalvan

Great album, the second album is really good too. Kind of didn't like the second one at first but since then it has really grown on me.

Doommantia

I even like the third one, Dawn Explosion even though it sounds different and with a vastly different line-up. Also Bobby Caldwell is one of the best drummers ever.

The Shocker

Quote from: diasdegalvan on December 06, 2010, 12:12:23 PM
Great album, the second album is really good too. Kind of didn't like the second one at first but since then it has really grown on me.

Feel the same way.  First time I heard the second album I thought it was some kind of Santana shit, but it's grown on me.  Don't care for the 3rd one due to the different singer. 

black_out

I picked up a vinyl copy of this recently, been listening to it pretty steady. Definitely one of my top 10 favorite records. I can listen to the second one, but I think it's down fall is that it's almost too polished, where the first one strikes a decent balance between sounding a little raw but with just enough complexity in the song structure.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

tastelikedirt

diasdegalvan

Haven't listened to their third album most seem to think it's really bad. Might have to give it a listen and come to my own conclusion about it.

Mr. Blue

I agree about those youtube vids.  They are awesome.  I have a copy of that Texas concert on cd.  I got it off ebay about a year ago. Those who haven't given Dawn Explosion a chance should at least listen to it.  I found I liked it.  It's not as good as the first two, but worth giving a listen to.
3 reasons why James said that his Black Sabbath record was important:
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

The Shocker

Quote from: Mr. Blue on December 07, 2010, 01:08:37 AM
I agree about those youtube vids.  They are awesome.  I have a copy of that Texas concert on cd.  I got it off ebay about a year ago. Those who haven't given Dawn Explosion a chance should at least listen to it.  I found I liked it.  It's not as good as the first two, but worth giving a listen to.

Do they play Stone Free on that concert? 

Mr. Blue

Quote from: deaner33 on December 07, 2010, 07:14:38 PM
Quote from: Mr. Blue on December 07, 2010, 01:08:37 AM

Do they play Stone Free on that concert? 

Yes, they do play Stone Free on this CD.
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

CanookieWookie

A great overlooked classic band. Especially the first 2 albums. Shoulda been bigger back then.

EddieMullet

Super album. Gets listened to pretty often

Dawn Explosion is decent and I used to like it better than Sufficiently Breathless, but the remastered CD of Sufficiently Breathless changed my mind, I had it on vinyl for years and was just lukewarm on it, but for once the CD beat the vinyl.

black_out

I'm actually spinning this as I type.

"baby your face is like a block of ice, cold as the deep dark sea!"

I fucking love this record.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

Isabellacat

every time i listen to this one it gets better and better. i only know of one person who does'nt like this but he's a douchebag anyways.

'Raging River of Fear', now that's a really huge riff and love the trippy 70's guitar harmonies. Rhino is such an underrated guitarist, and oh yea I've got this one on 8-track!

EddieMullet

With the exception of the new singer the lineup on Dawn Explosion is the same as on the 1st album, Rhino on guitar, Lee Dorman on bass and Bobby Caldwell on drums.

I think a remix and/or remaster might help it, it is mired in that mid-70's too much cocaine production kind of sound.

L. Ron

The Captain Beyond s/t is arguably the finest of all 70's rock "grail" records imo, not a single weak moment on it.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

sleestak

Quote from: L. Ron on April 12, 2011, 12:13:11 PM
The Captain Beyond s/t is arguably the finest of all 70's rock "grail" records imo, not a single weak moment on it.

agreed... one of my favorite rock records...
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Mr. Blue

I think Dawn Explosion was a decent record.  Yeah, I think it would have been better with Rod Evans singing.  I still spin it every now and then.

SpaceTrucker

This just flows like a... "Raging river of fear".  I get it now! :P

Eyehatehippies

What can I really say about this album that hasn't already been said?

A true lost gem of the 70's, its endurance, acceptance, and growing popularity over the years only goes to show how ahead of its time it truly was.

I was here, but I disappare.

mortlock

the most perfect blend of psych and southern rock ever created..