The Kinks

Started by CanookieWookie, January 24, 2012, 03:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanookieWookie

Ok, I have never ever heard one Kinks album in my life. Although I have of course heard the "radio songs", I just never had the urge to look them up.  Have I missed out?  If so, could you fine folks point me in the right direction, as in where to start, what their best album(s) are?

Thanks.

L. Ron

There's a comp called "Kink Kronikles" that covers the years 66-70, a great collection of songs and as good as place as any to start with them imo if you just know them from their radio songs.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

MikeyT

Face To Face
       Something Else
       The Village Green Preservation Society
       Arthur
       Muswell Hillibillies

'The Kink Kronikles' is a GREAT comp.

Their earlier LPs were good, but somewhat inconsistent, imo.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

MikeyT

CanookieWookie

Thanks guys, Ill get the comp. and go from there.

GodShifter

^Checked that out years back due to the fact that I felt like I should know more about a seminal rock band like The Kinks than I did. By all accounts, Village is considered their best work (if not, it's in the conversation), and end result was: meh.

The Kinks are a band that have some good songs, but from what I've heard, no albums are worthwhile. Way too inconsistent in terms of direction with the band for my tastes. The really early rock classics rule, but, outside of that, no thanks for me.

(I always hated the tune "Lola" - always)

The Shocker

Quote from: GodShifter on January 25, 2012, 08:46:14 PM

^Checked that out years back due to the fact that I felt like I should know more about a seminal rock band like The Kinks than I did. By all accounts, Village is considered their best work (if not, it's in the conversation), and end result was: meh.

The Kinks are a band that have some good songs, but from what I've heard, no albums are worthwhile. Way too inconsistent in terms of direction with the band for my tastes. The really early rock classics rule, but, outside of that, no thanks for me.

(I always hated the tune "Lola" - always)

They always seemed the most "British" of the invasion bands - lots of charming personal and topical songs that don't really translate well to America in the 2000's.  If you are looking for wild rockers there aren't many of them, but they have some cool ass singles.  I agree with GS on their inconsistency, but I do love The Village Green Preservation Society.

GodShifter

I think that's true. I'm not sure where it was, but there was a thread that asked what THE most British band in rock was ... (something to effect, anyway). I remember The Kinks were pretty much agreed upon as the top dog with, I believe, The Who coming in second.

The Shocker

This is my favorite song by them:

RacerX

"Low Budget," their first foray into "Arena Rock" is a pretty solid slab of tunes.

The plan was to finally "click" in the US, and it worked.
Livin' The Life.

L. Ron

Have you had a chance to check The Kinks out yet willb, and if so, how are they working out for you?
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

CanookieWookie

I have and to be honest, I just, can't get into them.  Maybe too British for me? I just can't see the appeal in them.  Although they do have some nice songs, most of them I find, bland.

L. Ron

While I like them a lot, I hear you willb.  Definitely very British, and a big "music hall"(similar to American vaudeville)influence which is the one thing about them I'm not that into myself.  At least you gave them a try though.

CanookieWookie

I love all music from the 70s (well most).  So I'm always trying to find another band to "discover" (although the Kinks are well known - I never tried them out) . 

MikeyT

Well, dig this beautiful song they did called 'Muswell Hillbilly' :

Fantastic lyrics...

Well I said goodbye to Rosie Rooke this morning,
                 I'm gonna miss her bloodshot alcoholic eyes,
                 She wore her Sunday hat so she'd impress me,
                 I'm gonna carry her memory 'til the day I die.
                 They'll move me up to Muswell Hill tomorrow,
                 Photographs and souvenirs are all I've got,
                 They're gonna try and make me change my way of living,
                 But they'll never make me something that I'm not.

Cos I'm a Muswell Hillbilly boy,
                 But my heart lies in old West Virginia,
                 Never seen New Orleans, Oklahoma, Tennessee,
                 Still I dream of the Black Hills that I ain't never seen.

They're putting us in identical little boxes,
                 No character just uniformity,
                 They're trying to build a computerised community,
                 But they'll never make a zombie out of me.
                 They'll try and make me study elocution,
                 Because they say my accent isn't right,
                 They can clear the slums as part of their solution,
                 But they're never gonna kill my cockney pride.

Cos I'm a Muswell Hillbilly boy,
                 But my heart lies in Old West Virginia,
                 Though my hills, they're not green,
                 I've seen them in my dreams,
                 Take me back to those Black Hills,
                 That I ain't never seen.

Well I'm a Muswell Hillbilly boy,
                 But my heart lies in Old West Virginia,
                 Though my hills, they're not green,
                 I've seen them in my dreams,
                 Take me back to those Black Hills,
                 That I ain't never seen.

MikeyT

Y uno mas:

Victoria !

If you don't think Victoria is an English Rock'n'roll classic, willb, I'll drink a Fuller's London Pride in your honor.  :)

L. Ron

Are you familiar with Patto, willb?

CanookieWookie

Yes sir.  Good shit that is.

GeeZa

Quote from: willb on February 03, 2012, 04:32:06 PM
I love all music from the 70s (well most).  So I'm always trying to find another band to "discover" (although the Kinks are well known - I never tried them out) . 
I adore The Kinks but then I'm British and kinda get where they're coming from. Lots of US bands I don't get so it's weird the way that works. Some genius song-writing from Davies though, some of the best ever, an amazing talent. I dunno, you might find The Pretty Things a bit more palatable if you're still looking at some similar 60s/70s stuff.

The Shocker

Fuck yeah, Pretty Things rock.

GeeZa

The Shocker

thisissomeguy

I too find most of the Kinks' albums are too uneven but right till the end as a singles band they're pretty much unbeatable. As a fan of rock operas and concept albums I do like Schoolboys in Disgrace a lot. The best way I could describe it is what if The Wall was re-imagined as a comedy.

The Kinks Fab Forty is a great roundup of 60's single a and b sides and Come Dancing with the Kinks is a great roundup of the late 70's - early 80's Arista records period. Unfortunately, the comp of their 70's RCA records period where they kept churning out weird concept albums called Celluloid Heroes misses out on too many worthwhile songs. Schoolboys in Disgrace can be purchased for under $5 on emusic anyway.

On my iPod I just have a compilation I made myself;

The Kinks  '64 - '84

You Really Got Me
All Day and All of the Night
Tired of Waiting For You
See My Friends
Sunny Afternoon
I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Waterloo Sunset
Death of a Clown
Johnny Thunder
Victoria
Shangri-La
Lola
Apeman
Supersonic Rocket Ship
Have Another Drink
No More Looking Back
A Rock and Roll Fantasy
Low Budget
Around the Dial
Come Dancing
Do it Again
Living on a Thin Line
More intense than playing a game of Battleship with Roger Waters.