Deep Purple albums...

Started by MikeyT, February 01, 2012, 01:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyT

Naturally, I wouldn't list any Purple records without Lord Blackmore.  ; )

You can choose up to 4.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

GodShifter

Okay, because I was, like, "where's Come Taste The Band  ???"

Voted.

vinyldinosaurus

GodShifter

He didn't list anything w/o Ritchie Blackmore (MkI-III) apparently.

vinyldinosaurus

Too bad. That's my favorite...

GodShifter

CanookieWookie

Fireball will always be number one for me.

MikeyT

What are your favorite tracks on 'Fireball', Will ?

Woody

I had too click "all of the above" and would include Come Taste The Band. Shit, I'd include the 1st three Rainbow tapes, too, but I'm a freak.

MikeyT

I wanted to list the works they were best known for; the albums which "made them", so to speak. I didn't want to list the whole kit & kaboodle... 

Maybe I should have done 3 polls:

One for Mk I, and maybe included some Mk I boots (although there doesn't seem to be much interest in the 60's Deep Purple sound here),

One for Mk II, and included 'Concerto For Group And Orchestra' and 'Geminii Suite', the Mark II reunion albums, & maybe a couple of Mk II boots.

And the third poll could have been Mk III, IV, V, whatever.

L. Ron

Too bad Come Taste The Band isn't on there. I shunned it for a long time, but came across a cheap copy and realized the error of my ways.  It's a pretty fuckin' sweet record.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

GodShifter

I actually like those first records quite a bit, Mikey. For many years I was woefully ignorant of them, but when I took the time to sit down and check them out, I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were.

One of my favorite things to do is to take an artist that has had a relatively long career and listen to their albums in succession, as they were released (studio or live), until I reach the end. Sometime back, I did that with DP and it was a pretty worthwhile experience. I think the best thing that came out of that was learning about those first three records which, previously, I didn't know much about (and, consequently, had dismissed for years because I thought they'd be too "soft" or "pop" or whatever). There is some really quality material on all three of them.

goldwater

iv'e always loved burn the most. who do we think we are would be #2 for me.
we all lost in 64

CanookieWookie

Quote from: MikeyT on February 02, 2012, 04:29:29 AM

What are your favorite tracks on 'Fireball', Will ?

I like them all actually, even Anyone's Daughter. 

But if I had to choose, say a side, I'd go with side 2 - The Mule, Fools & No One Came.

Perfection.

Woody

Quote from: L. Ron on February 02, 2012, 11:22:56 AM
Too bad Come Taste The Band isn't on there. I shunned it for a long time, but came across a cheap copy and realized the error of my ways.  It's a pretty fuckin' sweet record.

You all should see L.Ron aerobicize to "Gettin' Tighter."

MikeyT

^ Thanks, willb. For a long time now, I've thought 'Fools' a brilliant (and underrated) song.

Quote from: GodShifter on February 02, 2012, 11:35:38 AM
I actually like those first records quite a bit, Mikey. For many years I was woefully ignorant of them, but when I took the time to sit down and check them out, I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were.

One of my favorite things to do is to take an artist that has had a relatively long career and listen to their albums in succession, as they were released (studio or live), until I reach the end. Sometime back, I did that with DP and it was a pretty worthwhile experience. I think the best thing that came out of that was learning about those first three records which, previously, I didn't know much about (and, consequently, had dismissed for years because I thought they'd be too "soft" or "pop" or whatever). There is some really quality material on all three of them.

Yeah, I love those three. You can tell they were strongly influenced by Vanilla Fudge; but they're still quite distinct stylistically, very much Deep Purple. Very dramatic, melodramatic, epic, grandiose music.
I can see why some listeners wouldn't appreciate them.  If you don't like drama, forget about it.  :)

Also, I don't think anyone, upon hearing those albums, would have any doubt as to their place in time. They were so sixties-ish. There's the hippie, flower-power influence, of course; although the band was generally pretty hard & heavy for the time. There's a kind of militant aspect to their sound at times, which I think can be largely attributed to Ritchie and his Rock'n'roll "attitude". You have a fairly strong classical influence on many tracks courtesy of Jon Lord; and I hear the influence of 60's (TV/Movie related) Spy music on a few compositions and in some of the guitarwork. They were somewhat eclectic in that period- surely more so than later incarnations of the band.

You have just one album in between ('Concerto'), and then the band emerges as a full blown Hard Rock juggernaut with IN ROCK. Amazing. Deep Purple really knew what they were doing.

Woody

Deep Purple has always been one of my favorite bands. Their progress from the first tape through Come Taste... is pretty incredible.

MikeyT

They're the bee's knees ! 

L. Ron

Quote from: Woody on February 02, 2012, 01:13:12 PM
Quote from: L. Ron on February 02, 2012, 11:22:56 AM

You all should see L.Ron aerobicize to "Gettin' Tighter."
You should especially see it when I'm aerobicizing to it with my aerobics partner Cronos!
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

Doommantia

Mark II line-up all the way for me. Burn is a good album and Come Taste The Band has its moments. Stormbringer is patchy at best and the first three Mark I albums are alright for the time period but sound horribly dated when I hear them now.

GeeZa

Yup, boring as it is, In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head and Burn it is for me. And I'd probably take In Rock as my fave.

MikeyT

"Ian Gillan, Roger Glover and I wanted to be a hard rock band - we wanted to play rock and roll only."

- Ritchie Blackmore, explaining the rationale behind the transition from Deep Purple Mk I to Deep Purple Mk II.

CanookieWookie

I like them better than Sabbath.  I'm sure I am in the minority with this though.

The Shocker

Which ever one has Child In Time on it.  I love that song.

GodShifter