Deep Purple albums...

Started by MikeyT, February 01, 2012, 01:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Thx.  Child In Time encapsulates everything I love about 70's metal.

gritty_fingers

I'm gonna vote for Made In Japan because that is one of my all time favorite live albums.

My studio choice would have been Machine Head.
"Ginger People"

EddieMullet

What about the MKII 80's albums?

Perfect Strangers is a fine album, up there (in my opinion with the 70's stuff)

House of Blue Light not bad but a definite step down, very 80's dated sounding

Slaves and Masters if you can't say anything good don't say anything and I'll leave it at that

The Battle Rages On Anya and the title track are two classics but some weak material as well

When Steve Morse came on for Purpendicular that was a good album and I liked Abandon too.

They lost me after Abandon, once Jon Lord left something just wasn't there, Bananas would have been a good Ian Gillan solo album, but it has none of the Purple Magic left Rapture of the Deep just never managed to hold my attention at all.

Mr. Blue

Since there was no Come Taste The Band I chose the Mark I albums and Burn. 
3 reasons why James said that his Black Sabbath record was important:
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

GodShifter

I like all the Steve Morse albums pretty well except the last, Rapture, which I'm not too familiar with, tbh. Though Bananas is a stupid title for a record (and the cover equally ridiculous), it's a surprisingly good hard rock record, imo. I, too, liked Abandoned and Purpendicular.

The 80's stuff, outside of Perfect Strangers, I'm not too wild about. Even PS doesn't hold up real well these days, but it's an album I'll always have a soft spot for because I bought it when it was released and saw the tour they did in support of it. It's just one of those magical albums that brings back memories for me. I jumped off board, though, with The House of Blue Light, and that was it for me for many years.

Somewhat recently I went back and explored all the Purple stuff from beginning to end (as I mentioned earlier), and it gave me a refresher on some stuff and other material was absolutely new to me (The Battles Rages On and Slaves and Masters). I didn't particularly like TBRO nor S&M, but TBRO is a far better effort than S&M. The House of Blue Light, has some good songs, but you can tell there wasn't a lot of inspiration in those recording sessions. It's kind of like the newness and excitement of the initial reunion was over, and they were kind of looking at each other like, "now what?".

Anyone checked out the the Phoenix Rising thing with apparently is a "chronicle" on the 1975 tour with Bolin on guitar. Is it worthwhile? I'd think unless the sound quality is horrible, it'd be something I'd be interested in for sure.

Doommantia

Phoenix Rising is worth getting for the hardcore fan of that era, otherwise it is not essential. The doco surprised me, it had some info and stories I had never heard before but it is all Hughes and Lord interviews, no input from Coverdale, Paice and of course nothing from Blackmore.

EddieMullet

And there's that disclaimer at the end of Phoenix Rising that says something like David Coverdale does not share the same views on this or something like that.

For 10 bucks it was worth it and you got a live CD with it too, which is the best sounding live stuff from the Bolin era I ever heard

Doommantia

Quote from: EddieMullet on March 03, 2012, 05:10:45 PM
And there's that disclaimer at the end of Phoenix Rising that says something like David Coverdale does not share the same views on this or something like that.

For 10 bucks it was worth it and you got a live CD with it too, which is the best sounding live stuff from the Bolin era I ever heard

I know Lord's take on what happened to Purple is very different to Coverdale's. Lord has said many times that Purple was falling apart as early as the Stormbringer days but Coverdale disagrees. I did meet a guy once who saw Purple live many times between 70 and 76 and he did say that Purple were a shambles when Bolin joined so maybe Lord is right.

EddieMullet

Even officially released live stuff from 74-76 often contains multiple train wrecks.  Though Live in London and the California Jam CD/DVD are nice examples of live MKIII stuff before the rot set in. 

And again the CD that came with Phoenix Rising is pretty damn good, though it is complied from multiple shows maybe they couldn't get a complete show that didn't fall apart in places.

If that was the first live MKIV you heard you might think they were pretty good.

muzikaddikt61

Made In Japan was the first album I ever bought on my own, back in 1973 shortly before I turned 12. The Mk II lineup remains my favorite, with Mk I second. There was a 2 LP compilation of tracks from the 3 Mk I albums available back in the 70's called Purple Passages that got me into some of the better tracks, my favorites from that era being Chasing Shadows, And The Address,  & Hush. I now have somewhere over 100 Deep Purple albums & bootlegs.

MikeyT

"I now have somewhere over 100 Deep Purple albums & bootlegs"

Ha, ha, cool.

Purple Passages was a cool set (comp).

I've been neglecting my Purple collection of late, but I did just manage to score a copy of Fireball, 25th Anniversary Edition for a good price on ebay.

What do you have in the way of Purple DVD's ?

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

muzikaddikt61

Just a couple of DVDs - Live in Concert 72/73 and Live at Montreaux 1996. I've never really gotten into concert DVDs too much. The only others I own are Blind Faith - Hyde Park 1969, Traffic- Live at Santa Monica, and Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour '74 (original release).

MikeyT

Yeah, LIVE 72/73 is probably one of the best out there, and essential.

The concert DVD's can sometimes get old pretty quickly, especially if they're not well produced (many are not). I don't have many myself.
     On the other hand, I do like to have them for certain bands. Like Deep Purple.  ;D
All I've got for them is Live in California Jam '74, which is just OK (too short, among other things, but they probably did the best they could with the material available), and Machine Head, which has some pretty cool interviews. Blackmore & Lord are there.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Orthodox Caveman

Hm, I miss 'Come Taste The Band'.

My favourites are, in random order, Burn, Fireball, Come Taste The Band.
The Power Of The Riff Compells You!

JimBob83

Quote from: Orthodox Caveman on March 21, 2012, 10:19:25 AM

The Kevin Shirley remixes on 35th Anniversary version are pretty damn good.  I'm not totally opposed to bands going back into their old releases and giving the songs a bit of a touch up.  Especially when it's packaged as a second disc with the original.

I kind of want Page to stop dicking around and do to the Zeppelin catalogue whatever it was he did (along with Shirley) to those tapes that made up the "How The West Was Won" CD's because the drums sound incredible on those.

Orthodox Caveman

Quote from: JimBob83 on March 23, 2012, 07:58:40 AM
Quote from: Orthodox Caveman on March 21, 2012, 10:19:25 AM

The Kevin Shirley remixes on 35th Anniversary version are pretty damn good.  I'm not totally opposed to bands going back into their old releases and giving the songs a bit of a touch up.  Especially when it's packaged as a second disc with the original.

I kind of want Page to stop dicking around and do to the Zeppelin catalogue whatever it was he did (along with Shirley) to those tapes that made up the "How The West Was Won" CD's because the drums sound incredible on those.

I hear you, maing.
The Power Of The Riff Compells You!