Give this man his due..

Started by CanookieWookie, May 16, 2012, 11:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanookieWookie

...I think he is a very underrated guitar player. Thoughts?

CanookieWookie

mortlock

CanookieWookie

Well it is about time someone appreciated the man, although I am not sure I'd agree that he is better than the Jimi (my) s.

Woody

Need to get the new reissues of his classic solo tapes.

Very glad that I got to see him live back in 82 opening for Rush.

CanookieWookie

Oh I am envious.  He musta blew Rush right off the stage.

GodShifter

I like Rory Gallagher as an artist, but I'm not an expert on his guitar playing prowess. He's usually mentioned in the same breath as Johnny Winter, so that tells me he's pretty damn good.

The older I get, the less I am a hard ass about whether someone is 'better' than someone else. It's more about what they're able to create on their instrument. Technique and whatever else is great, but there's tons of great guitarist that have terrific technique and perfect form and sound like shit. So, big deal. I don't care to get into an argument about 'who's better'.

I love Rory, but no way in hell he 'blew' Rush off the stage. Not in 1982, at least. I saw that tour (with Golden Earring opening none-the-less), and Rush were terrific form and not inclined to be overshadowed by any opener.

MR. CREEPER

I can dig his palying and think he's good but he never did anything that blew me away. Just my opinion. Too much in the blues, and rehashing of the blues. Be like the others and morph it into something new.