The Velvet Underground & Nico

Started by The Bandit, April 05, 2013, 03:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bandit

For an album that took me a long time to get into, it has become one of my all time favorites.  I think all the hype hurt it for me at first - I remember thinking what's the big deal?  Still, I kept listening to it once and a while until the point that I got it. 

Any love, indifference, hate?

GodShifter

Total indifference. I need to hear it again, but the thought of that notion fills me with dread/boredom.

I've always loved the tune "Venus in Furs", though, but I like it better when other people cover it.

The Shocker

It is totally mood music. I love Nico too. All Tomorrow's Parties is my favorite.

Edit: I felt that way about them too Shifter, but something clicked.
Same with Hawkwind.

MikeyT

Sunday Morning - Gorgeous- soothing but still somewhat melancholy. Very nice lyrics. I always dug the little guitar break. The vocal (as with many Velvet songs) is barely in at tune at times, which somehow only adds to it's (and the band's) charm. I love Sunday Morning.

Waiting For My Man - I don't like junkies, but that doesn't mean they aren't interesting, and the same goes for this song, which is about a junkie's feelings and experiences. It's well conceived and written, and the music is perfect for the lyrics. I'll call it 'excellent'.

Femme Fatale - Is this song a Rock'n'roll classic or what? The background vocals are great.
Clever lyrics...
"You're written in her book. You're # 37, have a look."   Ha, ha.

Venus In Furs - Not one of my faves, but the music is fairly strong, and Lou's voice sounds good here.

Run, Run, Run - Another excellent 'street life' song, which happens to reference junkies, among other characters, with some appropriately crazy lead guitar playing. It reminds me of Waiting For My Man, and both songs make me think of Bob Dylan's writing style, which had to be a major influence for Lou. Not to take anything away from him- I believe Lou was a brilliant songwriter.

All Tomorrow' Parties - Pretty, solid Velvet Underground Pop, but also Folk Rock influenced. Seems to have a lot in common with The Byrds' version of The Bells Of Rhymney.

Heroin - The third song touching on, no, this one wallows in heroin. What can I say? This song could only have been created by The Velvet Underground. Brilliant and seductive, and a very bad influence on all of us, I'm afraid. The wacked out lead guitar work is the icing on the cake.

There She Goes Again - The epitome of a certain style of mid-60's Pop, and it sounds great. Good lyrics, too.

I'll Be Your Mirror - Beautiful and classic.

The album could have ended right there and it would have been perfect as far as I'm concerned.
                                       A great album by a great band.

All four of their studio LPs, along with 1969 and Live at Max's Kansas City are fantastic, but 'Loaded' is closest to my heart.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

MadJohnShaft

You left off European Son and Black Angel's death song? The two best ones? I am going to poop in my hand and throw it at you.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

MikeyT

That's even more disgusting than the songs you mentioned.  :D

The Shocker

Mikey, opinions/review of Nico's Chelsea Girl? 

GodShifter

Checked it out again today. WAY better than I remembered it being. Thanks for the reminder.

Hugely influential album for so many acts.

Dylan Thomas

Love this band, love this album.  All Tomorrow's Parties is my jammy jam, though all the songs are great.

Loaded is also closest to my heart.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

The Bandit

thisissomeguy

It's a great album but the self titled third is my favourite Velvets album cause it has Pale Blue Eyes.
More intense than playing a game of Battleship with Roger Waters.

The Bandit

That stupid song "The Gift" ruins White Light/White Heat for me.

MikeyT

I think 'The Gift' would have been better as an instrumental.

MikeyT

Quote from: The Shocker on April 13, 2013, 07:04:43 PM
Mikey, opinions/review of Nico's Chelsea Girl?  

I thought her singing ability was fairly limited, but I liked her, and I liked the album. At the time, I thought she was gorgeous, so naturally that didn't exactly inhibit my appreciation of her artistic endeavors.  :P

I had 'THE MARBLE INDEX' first-  found it in the "cutout section" at Honest John's Records & Tapes (aka Honest John's Rock Shop).
   It took me a looonng time to find a copy of CHELSEA GIRL. It was out of print, of course.

I'm not sure where that LP is, but it's been so long since I heard 'CHELSEA GIRL' that I couldn't properly review it.

Ran across this while attempting to find the "full album" on youtube...

She does a good job!

stormzsystem

No way. So good. So much vibe, drums are so good, such restraint at the altar of vibes

The Shocker

Interesting version there.  She looks a little puffy though.

MikeyT

This thread needs this video:

MadJohnShaft

Nico blows, what a stupid distraction
Some days chickens, some days feathers

L. Ron

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on April 12, 2013, 11:47:56 AM
You left off European Son and Black Angel's death song? The two best ones? I am going to poop in my hand and throw it at you.

European Son I can do without but Black Angel's death song is the best song on the record along with I'll Be Your Mirror and Sunday Morning.
Quote from: The Bandit on April 19, 2013, 10:24:08 AM
That stupid song "The Gift" ruins White Light/White Heat for me.
If you're trying to suck at listening to the Velvet Underground looks like you're off to a good start.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

kojak

Quote from: MikeyT on April 20, 2013, 11:18:29 AM

I think 'The Gift' would have been better as an instrumental.

Adjust the balance and the music is in one channel and the spoken word is in the other. I oftentimes listened to it as an instrumental.

MikeyT