Canning day 1

Started by MadJohnShaft, June 03, 2012, 11:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neighbor664

Honey>Sugar!
Honey is a natural antiseptic, coupled with acid and heat means all cooties dead.

NCR600

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on June 07, 2012, 10:42:36 AM
Fun with Botulism for Heavy Metal listeners:

Can't I simply heat the jars in a water bath canner for a very long time or add acid (vinegar or lemon juice)?

Botulism spores are very heat resistant. They may be destroyed at boiling water temperatures, but extremely long times are required. The higher the canner temperature, the more easily and quickly they are destroyed.
Low acid foods

Therefore, all low-acid foods should be sanitized at temperatures of 240° to 250°F, attainable with pressure canners operated at 10 to 15 PSI. PSI means pounds per square inch of pressure as measured by a gauge. At these temperatures, the time needed to destroy bacteria in low-acid canned food ranges from 20 to 100 minutes. The exact time depends on the kind of food being canned, the way it is packed into jars, and the size of jars.
Acid foods

The time needed to safely process low-acid foods in a boiling water canner ranges from 7 to 11 hours. Such long processing times are not researched and are not recommended. Losses in nutrients and quality would be unacceptable. The time needed to process acid foods in boiling water varies from 5 to 85 minutes.

Are you talking about sanitising the jars on their own or with the food inside?

You can buy very good no-rinse acid sanitiser like Star-San and give the jars a good spray before boiling. I use Star-San on my beer bottles without boiling and have never had any sort of infection, or died of botulism yet.