Burgers & Fries

Started by MikeyT, December 20, 2012, 05:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyT

Quote from: socket on September 24, 2012, 11:58:50 AM
Good burgers are my all time favorite food... I mean, I can even smash fast food bullshit and enjoy it.  Tried the 5 guys in Pittsburgh and I wasn't impressed.  People rave about it so I guess I should give it another try.

Best burgers: Burgatory (http://www.burgatorybar.com)

Enjoy River City Cafe too at the beach (http://www.rivercitycafe.com)

List a whole bunch of burger places (including fast food, if you want to) and give us your ratings/impressions of each.
That would be fun to read.

The best burgers and fries I've ever had were at small cafes. Pretty much every little town in Oklahoma had at least one, and the larger cites had scores of them. Those restaurants had fairly extensive menus, but their burgers and fries were fantastic. The meat had enough fat (no pink slime here) to give them plenty of flavor, and the fries were possibly cooked in animal fat as opposed to vegetable oil.

The cafes are almost completely gone, but we still have several of the old time hamburger stands here, and they have some pretty good burgers. Most of them are a good distance away from me, so I rarely eat a hamburger, especially a really good one.

Weber's is the closest, and their burgers and fries are actually very good. They are known for making their own root beer as well, and it really is great, but pricey, so I usually skip it (studying to be a tightwad).

EDIT:  Weber's has been in business since 1933.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Chovie D

IN Seattle:
two bells (bar)

review: doesnt LOOK appealing to me, the baguette instead of bun looks ridiculous and hard to eat, but its not and is a really good juicy burger.

lunchbox laboratory (cafe)

review: looks damn good and the first bite is, but they are so damn  rich with blue cheese carmelized onions and super juicy meat that half way thru you are getting sick to your stomach. Its too much, too rich and overbearing.

Dicks (small fast food chain with 5-10 stores?)

review: ONe of the best "fast food" burgers ive ever had. Mark Lanegans favorite.
dont know why they are so good but they are and the fries are the best.

mortlock

the two bells burger looks insanely good..

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

black

Though there are many contenders in the High Dessert in the Southwesten U.S., after decades of exhaustive research on the subject, Papa Burger in Los Ranchos New Mexico is the best Green Chile Cheeseburger and has some killer fries.

Silver Zubia chops and seasons and then grills each pattie to order and his wife Adriana makes serves up her homemade green chile salsa, which is perfect for dipping the fries in. Unlike most green chile cheeseburgers will have chopped, roasted green chile on them, Silver uses whole chilies, just sliced down the middle. The difference in flavor is amazing.

If any of y'all are out this way, I'd be stoked to point/squire you in their direction.

Here's what some local food head has to say;

http://www.abqtopten.com/blog/papaburgers/

and here's thier website;

http://www.papaburgersofalbqnm.com/
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

GodShifter

The best burger I've had in recent years was in Taos, New Mexico at a place called 5 Star Burgers. There's locations in Denver and Albuquerque (ate there as well, but it wasn't as good), too (somewhere else I think as well).

I'm big fan of open flame grilled burgers, so this place was right down my alley. The meat, toppings, and everything on the burger itself was first class. The fries and everything else: pretty meh. As I said, I ate at the Taos and the Albuquerque locations and the on at Taos was better.

I got the Green Chile Cheeseburger which, sadly, I couldn't find any good images of to post (or none that made it look as good as it was). Most of the joints around where I live aren't that great, honestly. I think there's a few in Dallas and Ft. Worth that are highly regarded, but I haven't eaten at those.

Dunedin

I'm going through to Glasgow tomorrow night and we'll be grabbing a burger from Nice n Sleazys. My friend is the chef there and his food is fucking great. Expect a full report with pics, Sunday.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

black

Few people outside of the American Southwest know of or have experienced the culinary joy and grandeur that is the Green Chile Cheeseburger. They are plentiful here and I'm stoked to know that you (GodShifter) were able to enjoy a good one. Let me know if y'all are ever returning to the State, and I'll be happy to give you a list of places that serve the killer ones.

Chovie D

Quote from: black on December 21, 2012, 01:44:08 PM
Though there are many contenders in the High Dessert in the Southwesten U.S., after decades of exhaustive research on the subject, Papa Burger in Los Ranchos New Mexico is the best Green Chile Cheeseburger and has some killer fries.

Silver Zubia chops and seasons and then grills each pattie to order and his wife Adriana makes serves up her homemade green chile salsa, which is perfect for dipping the fries in. Unlike most green chile cheeseburgers will have chopped, roasted green chile on them, Silver uses whole chilies, just sliced down the middle. The difference in flavor is amazing.

If any of y'all are out this way, I'd be stoked to point/squire you in their direction.

Usually when you see a burger that is all irregularly shaped lke that, not perfectly circular, theres a good chance its gonna be decent to excellent.

black

Chovie D knows his burgers!
(come out this way and i'll hook you up, chovie)

GodShifter

Quote from: black on December 21, 2012, 05:47:01 PM
Few people outside of the American Southwest know of or have experienced the culinary joy and grandeur that is the Green Chile Cheeseburger. They are plentiful here and I'm stoked to know that you (GodShifter) were able to enjoy a good one. Let me know if y'all are ever returning to the State, and I'll be happy to give you a list of places that serve the killer ones.

I have no doubt, black, that what I had was probably not the best of New Mexico has to offer. However, it was recommended to us by a local guy (a river rafting guide), so we took him on his advice. And, as I said, it was damn good. I bet, though, there are independent diners/restaurants that serve better. But, this was a damn good hamburger. If I am in the vicinity again, I'll give you a ring!

Right on, Chovie, with the shape. It usually means the meat was shaped by hand as opposed to put in some some shitty burger press or whatever.

black

In New Mexico the tourism dept actually publishes a Green Chile Cheeseburger map of the state.
I'd totally dig being able to squire any StonerRockers to any of those joints (and a few off the map)

mortlock

Quote from: black on December 21, 2012, 01:44:08 PM

that burger gave me a huge boner..better than some of the skank pics bolt posts.

Dunedin

These are the badboys me and my pal got tucked into last night at Nice n Sleazys.

Unfortunately I was so drunk when I took this photo I remember virtually nothing about what was in them. I'm pretty sure my burger had Drambuie in the recipe and I do remember it had a pretty strong cheese on top but that's about it. It was awesome though.  :D

RAGER

Eating big meals like that after drinking is like getting a kidney transplant..

Your body has a 50% chance of rejecting it.
No Focus Pocus

Dunedin

Quote from: RAGER on December 23, 2012, 03:58:46 PM

Thankfully it didn't. The food actually woke me up a bit, because at one point before it arrived I nearly fell asleep at the table!

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on December 23, 2012, 03:58:46 PM

only if you are a rookie.

Chovie D

those look kinda difficult to eat, especially that towering one in the distance.

RAGER

^^No shit.  Thing looks like it's got a loaded baked potato on it.
No Focus Pocus

GodShifter

Please tell me that's not like three fried eggs on it or something...

MikeyT

^    ^
   All of those burgers look good.

I ate at Ron's Hamburgers & Chili on Thursday, but didn't get a hamburger. Got a 9 oz (seasoned) Hamburger Steak which comes with Cole Slaw, Fries, and Texas Toast. Everything was excellent- hope to go back soon.

Ron's Special [ 1/3 lb Cheeseburger w/Ham, Bacon, Grilled Onions, Lettuce, Tomato, Pickles, Mayo & Mustard ]

Ron's Double Big Daddy

Ron's Spanish Fries

Ron's Cheese Fries & Chicken Nuggets (I've heard those are really good)

Ron's original location (Now closed. I ate there many years ago.)
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

mutantcolors

I have a lunch date at Big Jud's tomorrow. Been going since '99, ate THE burger, holy fucking balls their burgers rule so hard.