Certainties, musings, and foregone conclusions in my (your) kitchen

Started by RAGER, April 08, 2013, 05:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Cool gallery of gifs aboot knife skillz and techniques with some do's and do nots.  Donl;t pick up your knife like this.

Here's the  link for the rest.

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/gif-tutorial-essential-knife-skills-with-a-mission-chinese-cook/
No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

Use loads of garlic in everything, yum!

Fresh herbs are amazing.

Don't accidently drop dry spaghetti all over the floor, its a bitch to pick up!
DooM!

Desertblues

For me the golden rules are:

1. Taste and adjust
2. Taste and adjust
3. Taste and adjust

And Rager, just used your Chili recipe with a small change, used a chocolate stout to deglaze and bitterness.  Cheers

RAGER

That's awesome man.  Thanks.  I hope it turned out great.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

54.  The best juiciest limes are the smooth thin skinned ones.  Roll em with yuyr hand to get all the juice out or put em on the grill for a little different    flavor and lots of juice.
No Focus Pocus

Desertblues

Dunedin

Quote from: I,Galactus on April 09, 2013, 01:43:28 PM
Quote from: Chovie D on April 09, 2013, 01:06:43 PM
Certainty:-at the exact moment you desperately and urgently need  your tongs...they will be filthy, or in the running dishwasher.always and forever

Heed ye this and be less certain:  two forks + geetar pluckin' muscle memory = tongs.  No additional purchase required.

I hold no truths to be self evident within the kitchen within I prepare food (within).  My only point of contention regarding RAGER's musings is that water salting business, as mine is a low-sodium diet.

My wife doesn't put enough salt in boiled potatoes, so I have to try and sneak more in while she's not looking.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

RAGER

Like emerill always says, "the water doesn't come seasoned, unless its from the Hudson".
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

ONe time a friend came over and he grabs my finest kitchen knives from the block, one in each hand then proceeed to smash them together like a pirate would with  two scimitars or as if one was a sharpener and he was sharpening them and does the pirate noise "arrrghh matey". chips/dents  in both blades , bent tips..Im like dude NOOOOOOOOOOO!

black

I hope at least one of those knives was still sharp enough for you to stab your friend in the face.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

deleted account

Chovie D

funny thing is that was one of the least retarded things he did over the next two days... >:(

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

NCR600

Oil the meat, not the pan.
Don't let women people who don't cook for fun touch your cast iron pans.
Or knives. My filleting knife is ruined because someone uses it to cut cheese and throws it in the sink.

MadJohnShaft

Fuck, I found a knife in the sink and a knife in the goddamn dishwasher.   Someone (ehem) 'cleaned' the non-stick pan with a harsh brillo pad.  I have to hide the cast iron pan to keep soap off it.

Me: 'if you don't mind could you stop....'
Someone: 'why?'

This same discussion is going on year 20.

I know why too - her Russian mom (a recent Vegan convert, who can't cook for shit anyway, like all the Russian women in my inlaws) - does all that stuff and more - cuts food with a fucked up knife on the marble counter top and uses the wrong knife for everything (onions with a serrated bread knife anyone? Use of a stupid pretentious Japanese clever thing) puts everything in the dishwasher - has a cast iron pan that's never seen oil..... the mind boggles.

RAGER

I have my kitchen set up in a tight "U" shape.  Only one way in and one way out.  Not enough room for more than one person.  If i find you in the apex of the "U", you have to get by me to get out and you'd better have good goddamm explanation for why you were there in the first place.  Your papers?
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

So I'm reading this food blog the other day and I see this article that says something like "3 ways you could be ruining you knives" and I know immediately which 3.  I will never do 2 of them but am guilty of the third way.  The first 2 are obvious; storing your knives in the drawer and putting them in the dishwasher.  Both are big no no's.  This third one has been making the rounds on a few blogs lately by a couple chefs and so now everybody is regurgitating this travesty to your knives.  Figure it out yet?  After chopping your herbs or whatever you scrape your knife blade along the cutting board to pull your chopped goods into the bowl.  GASP!!!!  The pros say don;t do this but ya know what, I'm kind of a pro too and I say fuck em!  I hone whichever knife before I use it.  Just a few swipes and I'm ready to go.  I really don't think that scraping my knife along a bamboo cutting board or butcher block is doing an actual harm.

/end of boring rant
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

I gave up a long time ago on the wife...why even bother yellin at the missus fer pputtin em in the dishwasher when I have lollapalooza rock stars all hopped up on goofballs coming over and playing swashbuckler with my best kitchen knives??

thank god I got no fucking little shit kids thats fo sure. >:(

MadJohnShaft

I have pondered scrapping the items off the cutting board with a knife issue - and just go ahead and do it anyway.  I do it at like a sharp 10 degree angle.

I guess you could flip it around and use the back, but that sucks.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

you heathens dont use the backs of the knife to clean your board?  >:(

MadJohnShaft

lowdaddy

offal.  livers and kidneys and sweetbreads and brains and hearts.  "deep cuts" like trotters and necks.  tongue.  headcheese.  pates.  if you don't eat these things then you're not eating.  and if you avoid these things because they sound "yucky" then you and i ain't friends.  don't be a pussy in the gastronomic sense or in any other facet of your life.  EAT.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

lowdaddy

beef tenderloin sucks.  that's "filet mignon".  call it what you will.  it's a shit piece of meat.  it is the LEAST FLAVORFUL cut on the animal.  and the most expensive.  filet is for suckers.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

NCR600

Quote from: lowdaddy on May 17, 2013, 02:36:01 AM
offal.  livers and kidneys and sweetbreads and brains and hearts.  "deep cuts" like trotters and necks.  tongue.  headcheese.  pates.  if you don't eat these things then you're not eating.  and if you avoid these things because they sound "yucky" then you and i ain't friends.  don't be a pussy in the gastronomic sense or in any other facet of your life.  EAT.

I agree 100% with this. I know self confessed "carnivores" that rag out my bro in law for being vegetarian, but turn their noses up at all offal, and even at stuff like ox-tail and game meats. Mind you the same people also find tomatoes and iceberg lettuce a struggle too.

You ain't a meat eater if you're not prepared to eat the whole animal.