1 gallon homebrewing?

Started by Chovie D, May 24, 2013, 11:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

I stopped homebreweing a couple years back. I couldnt handle the strain on my injured back and didnt want to have that much beer around the house anyway.

This sounds kinda fun tho  has anyone here tried this??
http://www.thekitchn.com/5-reasons-why-i-became-a-1gallon-brewer-beer-sessions-189903?utm_source=RSS&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Category%2FChannel%3A+Main

Adam

I have never homebrewed but have always wanted to try. One of the primary things that has always held me back was not wanting to brew 5 gallon batches at a time. As sometime who likes rotating the beers he drinks, that much of the same beer at one time was sure to go to waste. But 1 gallon at a time sounds right up my alley. Not that I have the time or money to commit to this right now, but its definitely something I will keep in mind for the future.

MadJohnShaft

I seen that several places around the internets too - I like the idea but I was thinking of a twist -  I have four damn carboys now - I suppose if you were clever you could take your full yeast and split it up to do multiple one gallon batches and vary the hops and adjuncts grains in each -  and do four styles.

It's so much work pulling together and sanitizing all the ingredients that getting only 12 bottles from a gallon batch seems like not enough payoff.

That smaller amount would be easy to handle - you could cool the wort down real fast too and you wouldn't need to screw around with the separate water on its own - everything would get boiled.

Another plus though - if I had a one or two gallon carboy I could probably fit it inside the wine refrigerator I got and hold the temperature to the exact temp it is supposed to be, rather than relying on whatever temp my basement floor is in the summer. 

I like it.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

black

Are you still brewing, mjs? I was actually wondering that the other day.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

MadJohnShaft

Last time I counted my recipe cards I seen I did 50 batches from 1994 until just a few years ago then stopped for some reason.  Now I don't drink alcohol so I have little motive.

My Dad gave me all his stuff so I could do all grain...
Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Are you completely quits on the booze?
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

i don't do beer, but most of the mead/etc i brew is in 1-gal batches. easy to keep it rollin'.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

NCR600

Quote from: Chovie D on May 24, 2013, 11:46:38 AM
I stopped homebreweing a couple years back. I couldnt handle the strain on my injured back and didnt want to have that much beer around the house anyway.

This sounds kinda fun tho  has anyone here tried this??
http://www.thekitchn.com/5-reasons-why-i-became-a-1gallon-brewer-beer-sessions-189903?utm_source=RSS&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Category%2FChannel%3A+Main

Read this Chovis.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/38674-move-to-all-grain-for-thirty-bucks/?fromsearch=1
It's way more in depth than the article you posted, but the method is as simple as anything, if you wanted to make a bigger batch you can also use the same method to produce over gravity wort and dilute it down for the full volume.

neighbor664

Many times I've thought about brewing my own beer. I've priced the equipment, the ingredients and time spent, but always I stopped short of actually pulling the trigger.
Each time I decided "Fuck it! I can blow all this time and money on my own half assed beer or I can go buy a great ready made beer and drink it right now."
There are some things that are better left to professionals.

Chovie D

Quote from: neighbor664 on May 25, 2013, 12:16:15 PM
Many times I've thought about brewing my own beer. I've priced the equipment, the ingredients and time spent, but always I stopped short of actually pulling the trigger.
Each time I decided "Fuck it! I can blow all this time and money on my own half assed beer or I can go buy a great ready made beer and drink it right now."
There are some things that are better left to professionals.

couple things:
your homebrewed beer will be far superior tasting to any commercially available beer.
tho it takes some time, most of it is very enjoyable time spent...its a hobby and its fun.
it works out to about half the cost or less of commercially available beer.
you are the chef....you can experiment and make beers not available commercially.
you learn alot and its interesting stuff.

those are the advantages of homebrewing as i see them.

Nice link NCR thanks!