What are you Drinking ?

Started by Jor el, October 08, 2011, 11:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnice

really really good double IPA from Icarus Brewery out of New Jersey.

Jersey beer scene has finally stepped up their game

Muffin Man

A/B contest between Glenlivet 12 rocks and Johnny Black rocks. Back and forth one after the other, sipping and evaluating. sippin' and evaluatin'. So far, it's obvious.

okay I got it, one is for day, one is for night. Wow! Glen is brisk and kinda eh but light.All day on the dock. I grew up with it so just checking back y'all. Kinda tart. JB was a grownup friends' drink, not all that hoity but a respectable evening sipper, good label. Caramel and roasted bits are real good.

RAGER

Sometimes you just want a little Extra.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

There's no more domestic beer in Milwaukee.  Crazy.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Yeah. Pabst is brewed in LA I think. Rainier too I think. Olympia is no longer.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

wow! Pabst is really stepping it up. 6.5 is courageous indeed.

RAGER

I'm trying to get traction with West Coast Saison. Mosaic hops in this one.

Actually a Strawberry Margarita atm. I'll post a pic of the next one.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Couple I had yesterday.

Portland on Portland in Portland

A cold IPA from Boston with Washington hops.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

what do you guys recommend for something not hoppy? maybe wheat? im not sure what im looking for. craft beers tend to be over spiced for the most part across the industry to my taste. i generally prefer the piss water of beers. having said that, genny cream ale did land in the best top 50 beers of the world.

RAGER

Over spiced?  Most beers aren't spiced with the exception of farmhouse or Belgian types with coriander or nutmeg or orange peel or peppercorn. I'd just stick with lager types which are cold fermented and usually free if adjuncts. Pilsners, kolsch, helles etc....
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

If you're looking for beer from a tap then I think Rochester may have a few places. A place that offers a "beer flight"; sample sized drinks 4-5 of them on a board are fun to try different flavors. None of them pisswater probably. Those kinds of places are also kinda boutique-y. I mean you're not going to find a punk rock show at places like that, more like crab cakes or some catchy dish.

is K2 good? at least it doesn't look stuffy.

they're all going to be craft beers though, those on a flight. K2 list looks cool but def no pisswater. https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/Y5r32eLt-H3MK1f_eQ_mFg/o.jpg
May '22

Pissy

Morty, if you haven't had Shiner bock, I can recommend that.  Also the Lienenkugels  Canoe Paddler is a good Kölsch.   I have similar tastes.  

Session is a good one, but be advised that it comes in an 11oz bottle, which means for every twelve pack, you're shorted a beer. 
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

id give a shiner bock another chance. i last had it in texas on tour in the mid 90s. i remember i didnt like it, but i also dont think i was ready for it at that point either. for the record, genny bock is the best in the world. top shelf. best in class. 

dnice

Mort, I'd suggest asking your local beer store (or local brewery) for a good Lager. When my snob ass accepts taking a break from the IPA haze bombs, I'm now tending to go with a really good crisp lager. Almost all craft breweries make them, and imo, have more balls in terms of flavor than Pilsners. I'm not talking about Yeungling, I'm talking about a lager that was created in the past 2 to 3 months, not last 150 years.

Pissy

So the chambered bodied les paul vs the solid body.  Beer-wise. 
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

good point. ive always looked to the older beers as the time tested beers.
dnice do you see beers that are only 2 or 3 years old that you think are really good being around in 100 years?

Muffin Man

local octoberfest is out (in cans), so I got a sixer. we'll see, not really into that hue of beer but the brewery is a go-to.

Muffin Man

see that's the thing, unless I have my serving temperature off (too cold), octoberfest and also bock has a certain kind of booziness to it. a large tang metallic note in this one. The hue I mentioned is indicative of the slippery tang yer gonna get. not oily but an oily-ish-ness to it, not sweet, sharp-ish. never fails. Probably I should let it warm up a bit. I'll try that tomorrow, it worked on Heiniken last time, seems to me, better on the warm side, and that's a thin beer. these are more of that hue above...not a fan. Yo know wat. I'll calll the brewery and ask just what the heck is going on with this one. back next week

ps this is a primo beer. Kulshan is rock solid. I'll ediit with a photo of the can. it's a beaut.

mortlock

Genny makes an octoberfest. Im going to grab a 12 pk as soon as i see it.

RAGER

I'd like to try sone if that Kulshan. From B ham?! Never heard of them. I'll keep an eye out.

This was delicious yesterday

Probably suck down a few of these today.

Old school can. Supposed to jam with my drummer/ neighbor dude today. He's my neighbor so it's super caj.

No Focus Pocus

dnice

hold onto your halloween decorations....9.3% Pumpkin Milkshake. And it was delicious. From New Haven, CT

Muffin Man

Quote from: dnice on August 27, 2023, 05:11:39 PMhold onto your halloween decorations....9.3% Pumpkin Milkshake. And it was delicious. From New Haven, CT
<trim>

haha. Indeed. Saw a pile of pumpkins at a major beeer store the other day. Started seeing pumpkin a couple month's back ps. the animatronic creatures at Home Depot were pretty cool - didn't take a pic but they had some cool ones.

Muffin Man

That Shiner Bock is yummy and def brown w/ light maltiness. Still, refreshing. Says of Bavarian heritage. It's got the slightly sweetness to it. Drinks light but with those dark notes. I drank lots of it in Texas but had forgotten the appeal - which it still has. Forgot what I paid but its expensive (ed. $10.99 6/12oz bottles). Has the Independant Brewers Assoc stamp on it.

can concur w/ the recommendation . reccommended 😀 def do it.

RAGER

Sone great news from last weekend.

No Focus Pocus