Started by Jor el, October 08, 2011, 11:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

Quote from: RAGER on January 09, 2012, 01:27:30 PM
Had this last night.

WANT!

*Redacted for dickishness... Apologies - carry on!
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

Quote from: RAGER on January 09, 2012, 04:39:16 PM
That sir is the correct glass

For a Hefeweizen?  A Weissbier?  Not where I'm from (Passau, DE).

S'pose that's what I get for callin' y'all out, though.  Probably just spleen-ventin' due a distinct case of Lagunitas-envy.  I'm lucky just to get the IPA every once in a while, and I've only seen the sumpin' sumpin' once:(
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

neighbor664

Green Flash Brewing Co. West Coast IPA. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

RAGER

Quote from: I,Galactus on January 09, 2012, 05:01:02 PM
Quote from: RAGER on January 09, 2012, 04:39:16 PM
That sir is the correct glass

For a Hefeweizen?  A Weissbier?  Not where I'm from (Passau, DE).

S'pose that's what I get for callin' y'all out, though.  Probably just spleen-ventin' due a distinct case of Lagunitas-envy.  I'm lucky just to get the IPA every once in a while, and I've only seen the sumpin' sumpin' once:(

When's the last time you had a 9% hefeweizen son?  This here's a doppel with a true bavarian yeast strain from Rolec.  i scoff at east coast beer.

137 micros breweries in Oregon 145 in Washington.  that;s just the ones that qualify.  Not counting the Macro breweries.
No Focus Pocus

Mr Neutron

tonight:

blue moon
this is aside from lone star one of the most taste free beers Ive ever had.
Maybe 10 years ago it had some weiss in it.... now, garbage.
I had 3, i'll probably get a hangover, and I deserve it
How ive fallen.....
"Where words fail, music speaks."

I,Galactus

Quote from: RAGER on January 09, 2012, 09:39:03 PM
When's the last time you had a 9% hefeweizen son?  This here's a doppel with a true bavarian yeast strain from Rolec.  i scoff at east coast beer.

137 micros breweries in Oregon 145 in Washington.  that;s just the ones that qualify.  Not counting the Macro breweries.

Scoff it up, fella.  That's DE as in Deutschland, not Delaware.  Passau's in southeast Bavaria on the Czech/Austrian border.  Last time I had something that high test was probably at Andorfer last time I was back home (in '07, I live in Arkansas now).

Their Claudiator Weizendoppelbock legally has to be at least 18% wort, is only sold during Starkbierfest (forget October, you want to go to Germany and drink in March and April: stronger beer + less people = victory), and is always served in a 0.5L Weissbierglas, whether it's vom Fass (draught) or bottled.

There's five major breweries in Passau (which in a town of about 50k is a pretty good ratio imo).  Andorfer would probably be the only that qualifies as micro, since they only do Hefeweizen and they don't advertise or distribute (gotta go to the source to pick it up).

I was thinking about this the other day... Germany doesn't really do craft beer.  All beer is craft.  Either you pasteurize the shit out of it and make export, or you don't and keep it for yourself and your community.

I'm going to go ahead and apologize/redact my previous juvenalia.  Ye Olde Food and Drinke Forumme deserves to be treated with veneration and civility.  I can't begrudge y'all your purism since my hackles get raised every time MJS "infuses" something into his old fashioned.  (It's America's oldest cocktail and it deserves your respect goddamnit!)

Lumpy

Sixpoint Brewery Bengali Tiger. Real nice.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

neighbor664

Green Flash brewing Company
India Pale Ale
"A menagerie of hops is layered throughout the brewing process: Simcoe for unique fruitiness and grapefruit zest, Columbus for strong hop pungency, Centennial for pine and citrus notes and Cascade for floral aroma. A multi-dimensional hop experience."

RAGER

^^That is a good all around go to IPA. 

I'm gonna find me some Pliney today.
No Focus Pocus

sleestak

Had some green flash a few weeks back and loved it.   Drank a bottle of 2006 aged dogfish 120 which tasted really sweet and hit the spot and had two 120s on tap over Christmas which was like a 6 pack to the head.  Great shit when you can find it.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

RAGER

Had a few pints of the 90 minute  this week at my local tap room
No Focus Pocus

libertycaps

Quote from: RAGER on January 09, 2012, 01:27:30 PM
Had this last night.

That is stunningly good beer and i'm not a LagUnitas fan much anymore. It's got that banana/clove thing that thee CLASSIC Weinstephaner Hefeweiss has going for it too, but at a whopping 9%! Reminds me to stop off at one of the local corner stores that has a line of it that noone is buying but me. I think it's $3.95 a bomber. Not telling where either.

libertycaps

Yep. $3.95 each. I bought the last 3 and will savor each one in the proper glassware, natch.

Mr Neutron

bought a 6 pk of southern tier Phin & Matts tonight.

Solid if unremarkable American style pale.
"Where words fail, music speaks."

neighbor664

102 I.B.U. 4 U!
For me actually.

RAGER

Quote from: Mr Neutron on January 19, 2012, 08:13:04 PM
bought a 6 pk of southern tier Phin & Matts tonight.

Solid if unremarkable American style pale.

Very precise critique.  i agree.  though quite quaffable.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: neighbor664 on January 19, 2012, 08:22:50 PM
102 I.B.U. 4 U!
For me actually.

I'm losing my affinity for most Lagunitas these days.  but yes massive IBU with this one.  Can you acquire Russian River Pliney the Elder?
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

Smithwicks after Smithwicks at the tavern across the street from my apartment.

libertycaps

Pliny on tap and in bottles goes fast. There is bottle shop in NE PDX that has it more often than not and a pub that may still have it as a regular rotator due to a special relationship said pub has with a certain someone at Columbia Dist. But that's my secret. That said, i think i've got a bit of Pliney fatigue myself.

I,Galactus

Had a few Makers 46 old fashioned's over the weekend.  May pick up some vermouth and switch to Manhattans soon.  That 46 may just too damn smooth for OFs, the lack of rye kick is noticeable.

khoomeizhi

funny, last night was a number of old fashioneds for me, as well.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

RAGER

yesterday was a nice little brew tour :)
No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

Quote from: khoomeizhi on February 20, 2012, 04:03:51 PM
funny, last night was a number of old fashioneds for me, as well.

Applauded.  Great minds drinkin' alike and whatnot.