GodShifter

New Belgian 'Ranger India Pale Ale'

Me no like-y.

RAGER

i pretty much steer clear of the New Belgian stuff
No Focus Pocus

GodShifter

libertycaps

I veer clear of both New Belgium and cellared beer. Meh.

I,Galactus

I don't.  Now drinking:  1554.

/ballin' on a budget
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

GodShifter

Quote from: libertycaps on April 26, 2012, 07:41:17 PM

I certainly will from now on. It was a 'blind buy'. I like to do that once in awhile. Sometimes I find stuff that's really good. This wasn't one of those times.

RAGER

Quote from: libertycaps on April 26, 2012, 07:41:17 PM
Oh come on dude.  This Allagash I'm havin right now is epic.
No Focus Pocus

libertycaps

Cellaring only augments those cloying notes in ale i don't care for and kills the hops.
All i want anymore is a really fucking solid IPA. I only allow myself 2 after work during the week.
So they better kill.

Like this one. Damn glad a 6'er of same is always walking distance from the house.

RAGER

Ok fine then.  You'll be happy to know that before my Allagash I was @ the bottle shop and had Maharaja which was magical as always and i tasted  the Sierra Nevada Hoptimum and didn't care for it.  A bit phenolic and too bitter a finish.  I tried the Firestone Walker Double Jack.  it was a bit phenolic to the nose but not as bitter finish.  Speaking of Finnish.  I tasted a Finnish porter that was good.  But ended the visit with and 8oz. Lost Abbey
No Focus Pocus

Instant Dan

Been pounding these back tonight.

This is waiting for tomorrow.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

libertycaps

Quote from: RAGER on April 26, 2012, 11:29:21 PM
Ok fine then.  You'll be happy to know that before my Allagash I was @ the bottle shop and had Maharaja which was magical as always and i tasted  the Sierra Nevada Hoptimum and didn't care for it.  A bit phenolic and too bitter a finish.  I tried the Firestone Walker Double Jack.  it was a bit phenolic to the nose but not as bitter finish.  Speaking of Finnish.  I tasted a Finnish porter that was good.  But ended the visit with and 8oz. Lost Abbey
My weird beer phase is over. I know what i like now and pretty much stick to it.
That said, i'll always try a new local or Belgian I/IPA.

MadJohnShaft

Proud local distillery FEW has done so well they petitioned to ramp up to the legal production limit set by the state. The local liquor stores only get a FEW bottles per week.  $60. Crazy successful.

My kids went to Francis E Willard elementary, the mother of Prohibition.

A review I found:

This is how I spent Black Friday: Tasting and buying the new aged whiskeys from Few Spirits. When I first visited Evanston's first distillery, owner Paul Hletko was just beginning to set aside some whiskey for aging in newly cooped charred white oak.

Hletko was non-committal when pressed for a time frame for the aged rye and bourbon to be ready for market. Five months later, Few has rye and bourbon whiskey bottled in time for the holiday season.

For young aged whiskeys, both have an amazing balance to them due in large part to the barrels. "The cooper I eventually chose to make our barrels won 24 out of 25 categories at a spirits competition I visited," Hletko said. "I'm no math major, but that's the cooper I want to make our barrels."

The number three char on the barrels gives Few's aged whiskeys a rounded sweetness to balance the spice imparted by the grains. Hints of plum, cherry and vanilla lay gracefully on the palate. The bourbon, distilled from a mash of 70 percent corn, 20 percent barley and 10 percent rye, has a lingering spice on the finish that intensifies the longer it hangs around.

But it's the rye, made from 100 percent rye grain, that will have whiskey fans talking. The spice of the grain cuts through the flavors imparted to the whiskey from barreling with ease, making it an ideal alternative for folks who keep Templeton in their bar as their rye of choice.

Look to pay an extra penny or two for these when they hit retail shelves. The rye will sell for $55 while the bourbon will retail for $65. But they're worth the money and further proof that Chicago's local craft spirits scene is growing nearly as fast as its craft beer industry. Few is currently selling the aged whiskeys at their tasting room. They also have a launch party scheduled for Dec. 13 at Delilah's (2771 N. Lincoln Ave.)
Some days chickens, some days feathers

neighbor664

The Shocker

This just turned up at my liquor store:

Nice and smooth.

El Zombre

I've been sad ever since Allagash lost distribution in Michigan. Good thing I can still get their beers and the other Maine export Moxie out in California.
Anyone else here dig imo shochu - sweet potato spirits from Japan. My go to drink, fragrant and very clean drunk too.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Is there anybody who makes a good "summer" ale, or is that an oxymoron? So far, I've only liked the Samuel Adams variety ('grains of paradise' FTW). Of the few brands that I've tried, they have tasted like piss. I understand the purpose of a "lawn-mowing beer" but if I need one of those, I don't need to spend 10 dollars on a six pack... I'll just get some Tecate. Who makes a good Summer Ale? Even the old reliable Brooklyn Brewery's summer ale sucks. IMO.

Maybe I just don't like that style.

Oh, that "Hell or High Watermelon" was okay, if you're only having one beer, and not eating anything. And you're hot and thirsty.

Lumpy

After looking at Rate Beer.com for a minute, I can see that "summer ale" is not a style.  :-[

None of the beers with "summer" in their name seem to rate very highly, in any case.

The Shocker

I've always thought of Hoegaarden as a summer beer.

RAGER

Caldera Lawnmower Lager from Caldera Brewing Ashland Oregon if you can find it.  Yesterday I was in the Columbia River Gorge again,  Swung by Double Mountain Brewing.

No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

sleestak

Blue Point Hoptical Illusion
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

NCR600

My homebrewed Red IPA to celebrate putting it's third incarnation into the fermenter today.

I,Galactus

Quote from: NCR600 on May 19, 2012, 09:42:14 AM
My homebrewed Red IPA to celebrate putting it's third incarnation into the fermenter today.

I like reds and I like IPAs.  Two great tastes that taste great together?
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"