What are you Drinking ?

Started by Jor el, October 08, 2011, 11:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themusketking

been on a Stone Arrogant Bastard kick.  The oaked version as well.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

RAGER

It's fresh hop season you idiots.  You should be drinking everybody's fresh hop ales.  I've had so many I've lost track.  I had 3 different ones today alone.  I think I've gained 5 pounds.
No Focus Pocus

Adam

Heres my fresh hop offering.

Deschutes Hop Trip, a fresh hopped pale ale. Can't wait to try their fresh hopped IPA, Chasin Freshies, tomorrow.

Soundgardenia

I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

Instant Dan

I'm a sucker for central American coffee beans.

RAGER

I'll be having more fresh hops ales today duh.
No Focus Pocus

juggernaut

Quote from: Soundgardenia on October 06, 2012, 11:14:28 PM
My favorite Portuguese beer:

Is that a grilled peach half on the plate?

Adam

Another fresh hop offering from Deschutes. Enjoyable but I'll stick with Hop Trip.

Soundgardenia

Quote from: juggernaut on October 07, 2012, 06:09:29 PM

Is that a grilled peach half on the plate?

It's a little pastry with a custard fill. :)
I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

Adam

Started off tonight with some Deschutes Hop Trip.

Now onto some Odell Isolation Ale.

Soundgardenia

Portuguese bottle of Dão, Grão Vasco vineyard.

juggernaut

Quote from: RAGER on October 03, 2012, 10:33:41 PM
It's fresh hop season you idiots.  You should be drinking everybody's fresh hop ales.  I've had so many I've lost track.  I had 3 different ones today alone.  I think I've gained 5 pounds.

So what are the hallmark characteristics of a fresh hopped beer?  I've never had one and am curious what they are like.

lftwng4

Quote from: juggernaut on October 10, 2012, 04:23:12 PM

So what are the hallmark characteristics of a fresh hopped beer?  I've never had one and am curious what they are like.

Different hops have different characteristics, but for me, a fresh hopped IPA has a certain brightness and cleanness, and balance to the taste, if that makes any sense.
I scored a couple bottles of that Stone "Enjoy by 11-09-12" today, drinking one now.  Not bad, probably not worth the hype, but not bad.  Alcohol is hidden nicely, although it wouldn't bother me if it were lower.

RAGER

The status quo of brewing is to use either dried hops or hop pellets with the later being the norm.  More bang for your buck if you will in pellets.  Very concentrated hop flavors, more square footage.  But fresh hopping or wet hopping is using the hops within hours or moments of being harvested depending on how close you are to the hop farm.  This is tradition and a chance to use the hops right off the vine.  they have to be used within 24 hours. Using the fresh hops straight from the vine gives a more delicate hop characteristic with a fresher nose and lighter fruit and grassy flavors.  not so pungent as heavily hopped or dry hopped beer.  Lots of breweries bottle their fresh hop ales but I think the way to really enjoy them is on tap right at the source in an Imperial Pint.
No Focus Pocus

Adam

Quote from: lftwng4 on October 10, 2012, 08:11:46 PM
I scored a couple bottles of that Stone "Enjoy by 11-09-12" today, drinking one now.  Not bad, probably not worth the hype, but not bad.  Alcohol is hidden nicely, although it wouldn't bother me if it were lower.

I also had one of those Stones earlier today. I thought it was good and worthy of the hype but also found myself not enjoying it as much as I'd have expected.

Also hit up Odell's taproom and checked out their latest Woodcut offering, an oak aged American Ale with Mosaic Hops, as well as a Peach IPA. Enjoyed both beers quite a bit.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

juggernaut

Quote from: RAGER on October 11, 2012, 12:08:08 PM

The status quo of brewing is to use either dried hops or hop pellets with the later being the norm.  More bang for your buck if you will in pellets.  Very concentrated hop flavors, more square footage.  But fresh hopping or wet hopping is using the hops within hours or moments of being harvested depending on how close you are to the hop farm.  This is tradition and a chance to use the hops right off the vine.  they have to be used within 24 hours. Using the fresh hops straight from the vine gives a more delicate hop characteristic with a fresher nose and lighter fruit and grassy flavors.  not so pungent as heavily hopped or dry hopped beer.  Lots of breweries bottle their fresh hop ales but I think the way to really enjoy them is on tap right at the source in an Imperial Pint.

Cool.  Thanks to you and lftwing for the info.  I'll have to track one down and give it a try. 

themusketking

went to Brixx...it was $3 pint night and New Belgium pint glass night. Spent $6 and had two beers(Ranger IPA and a Fat Tire) and received a free sweet ass New Belgium glass.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

RAGER

I have a name for people who drink Fat Tire.  i call them Fat Tire Drinkers.  that's bad enough.  icccckkkkkk!!!

Icy cold shot of Rumpleminze.
No Focus Pocus

Adam

Jor el

I drank a bottle of Hard Cider last night withoot even realizing it.

Too easy.
What Would Scooby Do ?

Jor el

At first I read that bottle as SUPER ROCK.

More importantly - The Pastry
Are they called Natas?

Whenever I am in Montreal, my brother's colleague hand delivers a box of those to me.
I go through them like Skittles.
What Would Scooby Do ?

Soundgardenia

Quote from: Jor el on October 15, 2012, 07:00:34 PM

At first I read that bottle as SUPER ROCK.

More importantly - The Pastry
Are they called Natas?

Whenever I am in Montreal, my brother's colleague hand delivers a box of those to me.
I go through them like Skittles.

Yes! I love pasteis de natas! With cinnamon on top :)) I'm going to attempt to do a batch soon! The toughest part will be doing the puff pastry.

Jor el

I've never tried the cinnamon sprinkle.
What Would Scooby Do ?