What are you Drinking ?

Started by Jor el, October 08, 2011, 11:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

A new beer from Odell, Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout. Tastes just like chocolate milk with a kiss of vanilla, yum.

mortlock

does the world really need a beer that tastes like chocolate milk?? it does look interesting but not very beer-like.

khoomeizhi

some people like things that taste good...some like genessee.  ;)
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Adam

Quote from: mortlock on January 06, 2013, 08:46:20 PM
does the world really need a beer that tastes like chocolate milk?? it does look interesting but not very beer-like.

If you are familiar with the style of beer (milk stout....aka sweet stout, cream stout), it fits the style.

Quote from: khoomeizhi on January 07, 2013, 08:42:29 AM
some people like things that taste good...

And there's that.

Lugene is a little sweeter than I generally care for, wish they would have kept the roastiness that was present in some of the pilot batches they brewed to lead up to this, but still very tasty and enjoyable.

mutantcolors

I met the O'Dell brewmaster and his cohort a year ago in June. They were having a contest over the weekend, anyone who drank a pint of all 12 of their beers was entered into a drawing for an expenses paid tour of their CO facilities. Quite the challenge, 12 pints and all. That's 8 12oz servings of hefty beer two nights in a row. Not too bad if you're an alkie like I/most of my friends hahaha.

Adam

Not a bad contest to win at all.

I actually still haven't taken the brewery tour at Odell, despite it being the local taproom I have hit up the most often.

mutantcolors

This beer is FANTASTIC. You can tell just by the aroma the moment the cap comes off.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/267/66436

juggernaut

Quote from: Soundgardenia on December 30, 2012, 11:44:04 PM
Can't find decent cider in LA... it's frustrating... I miss Portland just because of the cider abundance.   :'(

I'm not sure if this is any decent or not but my wife just sent me this article and while on lunch break I found a liquor store that sold them and I picked up two different bottles of it.  Can't wait to try it out.

http://citypaper.com/eat/in-cider-trading-1.1426621

The best news is that I found another top notch liquor store to frequent.  I had never been to this one before and I was blown away. It had an amazing variety of top shelf EVERYTHING.  On a whim I decided to ask if they had one of my favorite but almost impossible to find beers.  Sure enough guy points over my shoulder and I see this beauty waiting for me.  Picked up two bottles. Soundgardenia, if you like the Leifmans you should try to give this one a shot.  It's definitely more sour but so good.

Adam

That Petrus Aged Ale as well as their Oud Bruin are all over the local shelves here in Fort Collins. Surprised its hard to find elsewhere.

And I think I am the only person who is not a huge fan of Odell's Myrcenary. LOVE their IPA, probably my favorite beer from Colorado, but Myrcenary just doesn't do it for me, personally. I am definitely in the small minority on that one.

Just picked up my first 6 pack of Deschutes's Red Chair earlier...one of my favorite beers, so happy it is back on the shelves. Going to likely crack some of that later tonight along with either a Great Divide Espresso Yeti Stout or Left Hand Barrel Aged Wake Up Dead Stout.

juggernaut

Quote from: Adam on January 16, 2013, 04:16:58 PM
That Petrus Aged Ale as well as their Oud Bruin are all over the local shelves here in Fort Collins. Surprised its hard to find elsewhere.

I think it's probably a very different beer scene where you live.  Most liquor stores around here don't carry a ton of obscure stuff.  There is one amazing store right near where I live and while they carry a huge variety of beers, the Petrus aged pale is like the one beer I haven't been able to find there.  They carry the Oud Bruin but not the Aged Pale.

Adam

Quote from: juggernaut on January 16, 2013, 04:27:28 PM

I think it's probably a very different beer scene where you live.  Most liquor stores around here don't carry a ton of obscure stuff.  There is one amazing store right near where I live and while they carry a huge variety of beers, the Petrus aged pale is like the one beer I haven't been able to find there.  They carry the Oud Bruin but not the Aged Pale.

Very possible; Colorado does have a very healthy beer scene.

juggernaut

Quote from: Adam on January 16, 2013, 04:47:47 PM
Quote from: juggernaut on January 16, 2013, 04:27:28 PM

Very possible; Colorado does have a very healthy beer scene.

I'm guessing that's it's probably one of the best in the country along with the pacific northwest. 

RAGER

yeah we do ok here on teh beer scene. 8)  We're not called beervana for nothing.

http://draftmag.com/features/america-100-best-beer-bars-2013/
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Jack Daniels Honey old fashioneds - orange bitters and Canada Dry in my Mad Men rocker glasses.  I feel so sophisticated.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Jack Daniels??  Who are you, Nikki Sixx?
No Focus Pocus

juggernaut

Nothing worse than getting your hopes up about something.   I tried that cider last night and take my first sip and it's completely flat.   Tasted like someone left a glass of white wine out in the sun for a few hours.  So I figured that something must have happened with the bottling of it so I email the people who make it and ask if I just got a bad bottle.  Nope.  Apparently it's an uncarbonated cider. 

Why the fuck would anyone make that?  The annoying thing is out of there three ciders they make, only one is naturally carbonated and it's the one I didn't get.  Going to bring the one unopened bottle and see if I can exchange it.

RAGER

Different strokes for different folks i suppose.  You prolly don't like cask conditioned or nitro tap beers either but many do.
No Focus Pocus

peoplething

Quote from: lftwng4 on January 15, 2013, 09:37:54 AM

drooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllsssssssssssssssssss

I have to wait until next week.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

khoomeizhi

Quote from: juggernaut on January 17, 2013, 11:43:18 AM
Nothing worse than getting your hopes up about something.   I tried that cider last night and take my first sip and it's completely flat.   Tasted like someone left a glass of white wine out in the sun for a few hours.  So I figured that something must have happened with the bottling of it so I email the people who make it and ask if I just got a bad bottle.  Nope.  Apparently it's an uncarbonated cider. 

Why the fuck would anyone make that?  The annoying thing is out of there three ciders they make, only one is naturally carbonated and it's the one I didn't get.  Going to bring the one unopened bottle and see if I can exchange it.

wait, what cider are we talking about here? i've been trying to find a decent still cider and have failed so far.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Adam

Adam

Colorado just started getting Goose Island this past year. Unfortunately, Bourbon County Barrel Aged Stout was not included in the lineup that came out. Hopefully next year because this beer is delicious (got this one as part of my mail order I made about a month ago).

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?