What are you Drinking ?

Started by Jor el, October 08, 2011, 11:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soundgardenia

I love me some fancy beer glasses... In Portugal the bartenders are ok with me taking the glasses home with me (yeah, I'm ghetto like that!). So last time I was visiting I acquired quite a fantastic collection that I failed to pack and bring to the US.. My mom told me my younger brother already broke two of them. :(
I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

Adam

I would have thought Utah would have the worst beer laws. Sounds like Oklahoma is right there. Ouch.

And driving out of state to Fat Tire? Hope the guy lives near the state border...is there not another amber ale that is more convenient that he could replace it with? I guess my roommate who loves the stuff could understand, but it just seems like there should be plenty of other ambers available that he could substitute for it.

Soundgardenia

I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

Adam

As for glasses, I had bought tulip styled glass from Crate and Barrel (I think it was there) that served me just fine for any and just about all occassions. Then my roommate broke it and I have not been able to find that one universal glass to replace it since. I got 4 or 5 glasses now but none offer the versatility of that generic Crate and Barrel Tulip.

I need to see that IPA glass in person, because the pictures of them do not do it any justice, IMO. I guess the appearance of the glass isn't the point of it though.

Adam

Quote from: Soundgardenia on March 28, 2013, 12:21:43 PM
Fat Tire is kind of meh...

I agree...I don't understand how New Belgium got so popular, personally. Especially that particular beer.

RAGER

I've had a couple of their beers that were ok but Fat Tire is putrid.  Oh there I go again with my stupid opinions based on my baseless knowledge of beer while living in BEER MECCA. ;D

Funny thing though, I haven't seen those glasses being used anywhere yet in Portland.
No Focus Pocus

Adam

Of New Belgiums regular year round lineup they don't have a single beer I enjoy (Abbey Ale, Trippel, Fat Tire, Sunnshine Wheat - though I hate the style in general -, 1554). Their best stuff is some of their Lips of Faith releases, IMO. Those LoF stuff have plenty of misses in them but also some very nice winners.  La Folie is great, I dug their Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout, Cocoa Mole was solid, Tart Lychee was decent too.

New Belgium just released a IIPA, Rampant, which I have not tried  which seems to be getting very mixed reviews. I also have yet to try Ranger, their single IPA.

RAGER

I think the Shift pale ale is fairly drinkable.
No Focus Pocus

Adam

Forgot about Shift...only tried it once as a sample during their brewery tour but agree it seemed decent. Not being much of a lager fan, not a beer I have yet to feel the need to follow up on though. But now that Spring/Summer is coming up, maybe the mood for a can will strike.

RAGER

Two beers I've had recently that I didn't post pics of were cellared beers.

One was a J.W. Leese Harvest Ale from 1999.  Yes 14 year old beer.  Had mellowed quite a bit.  Very very nice.  oldest beer I've had.

The other was a 2009 Deschutes Mirror Mirror.  Also quite nice but more boozey.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

My favorite U.S. brewery is New Glarus from Wisconsin. their beers are only sold in wisconsin  :(
a freind sent me some...but it was kind of torture because it just reminded me how damn good they were and that I cant get more. >:(  ...on my deck with shortly befoer they disappeared down my gullet.

lftwng4

I've had a couple New Glarus beers, Moon Man and their Hefeweizen.  I've got a friend whose boyfriend lives in WI and she'll bring me some beers back when I ask.  I heard they've got a new facility/brewpub that is pretty nice too. 

Currently drinking my last bottle of "Enjoy by".  Next up is a bottle of Pliny, then finish off the White Rajah, Headhunter, and Columbus Brewing IPA I've got in my fridge for the weekend.  Also got to kill a couple bottle of Great Lakes Alchemy Hour DIPA.
Going to Chicago on Monday, the plan is to stop at Three Floyds for lunch, and score a couple cases of Zombie Dust or GumballHead.

/drinktoomuch

Chovie D

Id kill for a case of their cherry stout...and yeah, the brewery itself looks like an awesome place to visit.

khoomeizhi

the whole town of new glarus is like little switzerland. grew up not that far from there.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Adam

New Glarus looks awesome and huge....seems a place that big should be able to distribute outside the state.

Chovie D

Quote from: Adam on March 29, 2013, 03:13:55 PM
New Glarus looks awesome and huge....seems a place that big should be able to distribute outside the state.

They are large enough to be able to for sure. I asked the owner once why they dont export out ofd state and got a kind of confusing answer.
My impression was that it was primarily due to stupid wisconsin laws that are built around protecting(like they need any protection?) the mega-shit-brewers in Milwaukee. >:(

someone is selling them on ebay (under the pretense you are buying the full unopened bottle as a collectors item). but of course the price and shipping make it not doable.

Instant Dan

Quote from: Adam on March 28, 2013, 12:19:32 PM

And driving out of state to Fat Tire? Hope the guy lives near the state border...is there not another amber ale that is more convenient that he could replace it with?

He lives in Tulsa but he said he only did that during college games in other states.

Instant Dan

First beer in over 2 weeks.

Adam

Quote from: Chovie D on March 29, 2013, 04:22:00 PM
Quote from: Adam on March 29, 2013, 03:13:55 PM

They are large enough to be able to for sure. I asked the owner once why they dont export out ofd state and got a kind of confusing answer.
My impression was that it was primarily due to stupid wisconsin laws that are built around protecting(like they need any protection?) the mega-shit-brewers in Milwaukee. >:(

someone is selling them on ebay (under the pretense you are buying the full unopened bottle as a collectors item). but of course the price and shipping make it not doable.

I know (Colorado) gets some Wisconsin beers, like Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company...whose stuff is terrible. And Lakefront...whose stuff I have never tried. Would happily dump those two for New Glarus.

Currently enjoying a Santa Fe Happy Camper IPA.

RAGER

Quote from: Instant Dan on March 29, 2013, 09:26:04 PM
First beer in over 2 weeks.

I'm a fan of the beer and the glassware but don't ever put a beer on my amp >:(
No Focus Pocus

Instant Dan

I knew the risk I was taking. Besides, it's not like some of the guys i've seen playing live who do that and watch their mixed drink pour right into the vent.

RAGER

Didn't get any pics of the beers but was at Double Mountain Brewing in Hood River on Tuesday.  Had a couple pints of their molten Lava Imperial IPA.  Came away with a growler of Hop Lava.  probably my favorite brewery oot here.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

What's your opinions on Lindeman's. I haven't had one in 15 years probably. Don't remember liking it very much (it was probably the Raspberry one). But lately, I keep noticing their beer when I walk past 'em in the store. I'm tempted to try it again. Is there even such a thing as good fruit beer?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Not into the fruit beers so to speak.  Like raspberry wheats and the like....  But i do enjoy some kreiks, sours, lambics, and the occasional gose.
As far as the Lindemans, no thanks.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

The Lindeman's I'm asking about are lambics, I should have been more specific.

A dessert beer, I guess? Is there added sugar?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.