What are you Drinking ?

Started by Jor el, October 08, 2011, 11:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladysloth

Screwdrivers ... I'm on the level (x-post to what are you listening to thread.)

The Shocker

I've been drinking Red Snappers lately.

NCR600

My local beer shop has just made the very dangerous for me and economically viable step of getting a growler station put in. Got a fill of a vey nice Illawarra Brewing IPA made with the new hop varieties Calypso, Mosaic and El Dorado.
This is going to be very bad for my health.

Lumpy

Do you have to finish a growler in one session? Can you cap it up, and come back another day? Or will the beer be flat?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

NCR600

One session only. Probably not good if you only want one beer.

Lumpy

I don't think I can drink 1.5 liters of beer, or however large the growlers are. Well I probably could, but I would be very fucked up.

Adam

Quote from: NCR600 on August 02, 2013, 07:07:56 PM
One session only. Probably not good if you only want one beer.

Depending on the style, I have no problem spacing a growler out. Malt forward beers like stouts, porters, some ambers, etc., I don't really need carbonation for. Those I really don't have an issue spacing out over 4 or maybe 5 day. Beers like IPA's, saisons, etc. where carbonation is important for me, I can still allow two days with...though the drop in carbonation by that second day is noticeable and does, admittedly, detract from the beer.

I can't drink a 64 oz growler in one sitting. I tend to be a 2 or 3 beer guy max when at home drinking. 2 is more my average. So those beers where carbonation is an issue I tend to stick with my 32 oz mini-growler. And speaking of it, currently enjoying a dry hopped saison, Hop Fountain, from Odell from it.

NCR600

With mine, I notice a big drop in carbonation over the 3 or 4 hours it takes me to drink a 64 of IPA or other strong beer. The screw top ones hold carb well enough to last a week or so unopened in the fridge, but I've never let one sit longer than that!
I've got some caps with ball lock fittings so you can gas the beer up from the CO2 bottle, which are ace for filling 2 litre soft drink bottles with, but I'm yet to find anyone who'll fill one for me.

Lumpy

A "mini-growler" could work.

They will fill up your growler with micro brews at some Duane-Reades now... it's a 'drug store' (aka pharmacy) chain here. And bunches of other places too.

Adam

Mini growlers are ideal for me when I want to finish the beer that night. 2 pints is very doable, as long as the stuff aint some ridiculous abv.

Colorodo is definitely a beer friendly state, heck our governer was one of the founders of one of Denver's first micro breweries, Wynkoop Brewing. That said, there are a couple laws in place that kinda suck. One of my biggest gripes is that we can only fill growlers up at a brewery taproom and of their own beer. Wish I could bring my growler to a station or a Whole Foods or a bar and fill it up with something juicy.

RAGER

Last night was this Kili Wit from Logsdon Farmhouse Ales.

No Focus Pocus

Adam

The latest sour release from Avery, Thensaueum. Aged in rum barrels. I dug it.

RAGER

Breakside Brewing Citra fresh hop ale last night.  ermagerd!

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Last night was a Killer Red. Abso-scrump!

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Shared this with my girl last night.  Holy fuck was it good.

Also had another Killer Green

No Focus Pocus

Adam

A mini growler of a wet hopped IPA from Odell.

johnny problem

"Roggenbiers were declared illegal in 1516 by the Germanic Lords.  The Bavarian purity law outlawed the use of rye for brewing beer.  We have resurrected this lost style to create a very refreshing, sessionable and smooth ale."

RAGER

Made it up to Hood River yesterday.  had like 3 imperial pints and came away with 2 growlers.  Killer Green in the pint

No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Been on the cider lately, but broke away for some Belgian triple:

Livin' The Life.

RAGER

There are several breweries here that are doing Belgians, farmhouse ales, sours, krieks, and the like.  It's great!
No Focus Pocus

peoplething

yesterday I mixed a shot of jack with a crispin hard cider.... it was surprisingly good.

had this a couple nights ago. it was so good we got a couple more yesterday.

a few months ago I discovered Ripa. It immediately went into my top 10. I could drink that stuff all day. the problem is it's almost impossible to find around here.

Imagine my sheer ecstasy when I discovered the last 22oz of this at a store yesterday.... I can't decide if I should save it or drink it now.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Adam

Love Hop Trip from Deschutes, not quite as keen on Chasin Freshies, personally. More a style thing for me as I am not a huge pilsner fan and even despite it being brewed as an ale, I think it drinks much more like an pilsner/lager than an ale.

RAGER

I've said it before, I just can't hack Deschutes' production beers anymore and don't even recognize Full Sail as a decent brewery.  Even most of their small batch is just mediocre.  I got a bottle of the Chasin Freshies and did not like it at all.  But I usually just drink fresh hop beers on tap.  Yesterday I had Ft. George's Fresh Hop OPA (oatmeal pale ale), good but not as good as last year I remember.

Speaking of Deschutes and Full Sail, on Sunday I went to John Harris' new brewery, Ecliptic, (if you're not familiar with John Harris check the link), I was terribly underwhelmed.  I'll keep going back because I know what it takes to dial in a brewpub.  http://eclipticbrewing.com/our-story/

On Monday I was at The Horse Brass Pub celebrating 37 years with a special beer from Double Mountain.
The rendition of the poster is the famed and late owner/pub rat Don Yonger.

With all that beer snobbery and such, sometimes I'm just this guy too.

No Focus Pocus

Instant Dan

I like it but prefer Krunkin Pumpkin better.

Adam

Hit up the bar earlier and had a Russian River Blind Pig IPA and a Grimm Brothers Fearless Youth Munich Dunkel. Wanted to close things out with an Epic Big Bad Baptist but the keg had just kicked....so now home and enjoying an Odell Cutthroat Porter.