What are you Drinking ?

Started by Jor el, October 08, 2011, 11:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

Let's see your still. If you make it really make it really wide we can see the whole JPG without affecting other posts.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Desertblues

Drinking a Doctor's Orders Berliner Weisse.  Seriously good beer on a hot muggy day.

Ayek

It's made out of an old under bench hot water cylinder. Sorry if the pic isn't wide enough for madjohnshaft

Adam

Got to be a homer. My favorite IIPA.

RAGER

Quote from: Ayek on February 14, 2014, 11:17:15 PM
It's made out of an old under bench hot water cylinder. Sorry if the pic isn't wide enough for madjohnshaft

What is going on in this picture?
No Focus Pocus

Ayek

The distillation of rum in my homemade still which I alluded to in my post prior to posting the picture, which I posted at the request of MadJohnShaft.

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, in addition to the felony how does that work?

Ayek

The still heats up and evaporates the alcohol which then takes a journey through the pipe then reverts back to a liquid state in the condenser and gets collected in the jar.
No felony commited where I am, it's as legal as gay marriage

MadJohnShaft

It sure ain't unless you're on the moon

Ayek

Somewhere that isn't in the USoA = The Moon?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Ayek

That I am. Home distilling is legal here and in a handful of countries in Europe.

MadJohnShaft

What? No one is from not America

Ayek

Does that include Commies?
Anyway, this is all getting a bit GD up in here, so I just opened a bottle of HaƤgen lager. It's a cheap domestic beer.

MadJohnShaft

The two green hoses coming out of the long copper pipe - what are those about? 

Ayek

That's water from the tap used to cool the alcohol vapour. It's a water jacket condenser where there's a pipe inside a pipe.

Adam

Tried this at the bar last night. Never had the liqueur to really know what to expect, so definitely found it interesting. The mish mash of herbs made a peppermint and licorice flavor, the porter base gave it some roastiness and a touch of sweetness. Enjoyed trying it, but happy I only tried it on tap. Wouldn't want to drink a whole 750 ml bottle of it.

MadJohnShaft

Still:

Cool - did you rig the whole thing up yourself?

I think I told this before - my Brother In Law owns a remodeling business - they were doing a rehab on an old house in Milwaukee and when they opened the roofing about the porch they found an old still and all the parts that had been hidden up there undisturbed since the 20s prohibition era

(I asked why they didn't keep it for me - he said they find so much weird shit inside houses that they no longer are interested in any of it and just toss it)

RAGER

I have no idea what you're referencing because you didn't use the quote function.
No Focus Pocus

Ayek

He did start with "Still:" which, though not as straight up referencing as a quote, helped me understand.
But, yeah, I did make my still myself. It's not as good as it could be, but not bad for a first attempt.
Drank some more rum last night. It'd smoothed out a bit since last week, much to my delight.
Shame about the ye olde still, mjs. Woulda made for a neat decorative piece. Might've even able to make your own 'shine, as long as it didn't contain lead based solder or anything silly like that

RAGER

Quote from: RAGER on February 16, 2014, 11:57:08 PM
Quote from: Ayek on February 14, 2014, 11:17:15 PM

What is going on in this picture?

Well color me surprised that this isn;t store bought :D
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Shit - that's homemade????  I thought maybe the Ikea Euro ....

Ayek

I shoulda sayed I 'rigged it up myself'. Technically it is a store bought, but I repurposed it.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Adam

At 5% abv, not actually a "session" saison, but definitely really good and sessionable.