Frank Zappa - Roxy & Elsewhere

Started by Woody, December 22, 2011, 06:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody

My review of this tape on Ripple. At some point in the near future, Ripple is going to do a week's worth of reviews about the first tapes everyone bought. Bongo Fury was mine and that review inspired this one -

http://ripplemusic.blogspot.com/2011/12/frank-zappa-roxy-elsewhere.html

Isabellacat

Haven't heard this one yet, but I do really love his Live at the Fillmore East '71 album. The version of 'Willie the Pimp' on that one is epic because it combines another song 'Latex Solar Beef', and Aynsley Dunbar plays drums on that one.

Woody

Fillmore East 71 is a good tape but this one is a totally different animal. That one features the "vaudeville band" with Flo & Eddie. Roxy has a lot more instrumental stuff.

Isabellacat

Quote from: Woody on December 23, 2011, 08:11:06 PM
Fillmore East 71 is a good tape but this one is a totally different animal. That one features the "vaudeville band" with Flo & Eddie. Roxy has a lot more instrumental stuff.

I'll have to check that one out. What year did it come out?

Woody

Recorded in 1973 & 74, released in 74. You will not be disappointed.

libertycaps

Great dlp. Prolly my fave Zappa. George Duke takes the reins here and it really swings in places. I need to grab the extended CD version too as i only have the dlp.

neighbor664

Ruth!

jibberish

roxy and elsewhere slays.  i really like that album.

i do not highly recommend live at fillmore east.  lot of bullshit dialog and weirdness that is cute for a listen or two, then it sucks.

Widget

Please, Gail Zappa, release the damn thing already.

neighbor664

Quote from: jibberish on December 29, 2011, 07:11:54 PM
roxy and elsewhere slays.  i really like that album.

i do not highly recommend live at fillmore east.  lot of bullshit dialog and weirdness that is cute for a listen or two, then it sucks.

Latex Solar Beef? Bwanna Dick? You're f'n nuts, that album is awesome!
Some seriously amazing vocal gymnastics from Flo and Eddie.