Wind River

Started by EaterofBirds, August 24, 2017, 10:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EaterofBirds

Being familiar and a fan of Taylor Sheridan's body of script work (Sicario, Hell or High Water), I was curious to see what his directorial debut might bring.

A good film, and really wanted to love it, but hard to dismiss a choppy, sophomoric attempt at bringing, what comes off as anyways, a strong personal message in regards to the very real mistreatment and disregard for the Native Americans. In this case, in regards to the dismissed atrocities towards the female American Indian. Sad and very genuine feel, but his script seems weighed down a bit by his approach to telling the tragic story.
It's a character study FIRST, revealing the demons of the male lead, Lambert (a very likeable Renner) and his tragic past. The female lead, FBI agent (the miscast Elizabeth Olsen)  is almost too out of place to even take seriously. It's a strong lead role, much like Emily Blunts role in Sicario, but without the strong acting. There are times their dialogue is so wooden and...well...choppy, it makes one wonder what this film could have been in the right hands. Sheridan just feels the need to get his message across at every chance. I get it...but makes for a long slog in the first two acts. I heard two loud audible snoring sounds about midway through the film.

In the end, it's a good film, just not "film of the year", imo. Has some great performances by Dan Crowheart (unrecognizable from his last role in Hell or High Water), and the anguished family, specifically the father, Gil Birmingham, in a very memorable smaller role.

There's some action sequences and the final sequence is a decent payoff, but the "meat" of the story is pretty by the numbers, including the predictability of the backstory flashback. Feels long...clocks in.just over 90 minutes and feel like 2 1/2 hours, so take that for what its worth.

Sheridan is one to watch moving forward, if not for his scripts alone.