Hour of 13 ~ ???

Started by Damocles74, November 27, 2011, 09:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damocles74

New album is absolutely amazing, the best yet! It's all Chad Davis on instruments and he rips from front to back.
          The production is spot on, a real achievement in tone and direction (think Glenn Tipton tinged with the patient flight of a hawk). The riffs are straight up work horse muscular, with galloping builds into psych-harp ardor that showcase all of Davis' talents succinctly. These tracks are infectious. One could make a claim that the songs are, in fact, "spelled". How else could you explain the repeated listens - the going back for more without really knowing why? (moreso than even your most cherished bands).
    The arrangement, pacing and, overall, length of the album (what I've heard so far) is much longer than what HO13 fans are used to and that's a good thing. This album is a story that needs to be told. The people that "get it" will definitely appreciate the fullness and vastness of this occvlt masterpiece.
         You may have read on various message boards/FB that Phil Swanson has returned to pen lyrics (I've only heard the tracks as they exist so far, without lyrics) to the material that Davis has sent him, and I can say that this is nothing but great news as it is an exalted continuance of what they created with the previous two releases. The chemistry between Davis and Swanson is just...there.

I would, also, like to say that this new album has done for 80's metal what Orchid did for Sabbath (borrow in the pastiche without being a cheap doppelganger), but it isn't quite that way. There really isn't any other band out there like Hour of 13. They exist in a realm of noble deference to all that was once great (Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate, et al) while creating an esoteric new way for those that wish to be illuminated.

Redditor Lucis Aeternae

Dr. Skeeter

Damocles74

Dunno, but man - there is a track on there that captures this early "The Cure" vibe perfectly.

That forlorn darkness of love thing
Redditor Lucis Aeternae

Dr. Skeeter

I'm checking out The Cure then. I have their kiss me kiss me kiss me but i'm downloading seventeen seconds now.

Metal and Beer

What happened to Ben Hogg and the rest of the band?
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Metal and Beer

" The live line up will always depend on the situation and the opportunity. Whatever allows us to take advantage of live opportunities and the budgets we are faced with. So it may be local musicians near to the event if its a one off situation or US vs EU line up to secure lengthy travel time. The IR line up is listed on Metal Ireland forum. Luckily for both the possibilities of TX and IR we have put together a band of friends we are looking forward to spending time with. The reality is we are taking it one step at a time. The focus is primarily on getting the new record out. We have a chance to do a couple shows so we are taking advantage of that, but we are doing it the easiest way possible to avoid any stress or conflict that may reflect on the new record. So we are just doing some shows to hang out with friends and enjoy the time."

sleestak

Ben Hogg recently said on Facespace that he's looking to end his sabbatical and return to rock and roll.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Metal and Beer

Yeah I saw that but wasn't sure exactly what that entailed. I think I heard/read that Beaten Back To Pure had a new record either written or recorded, mayhaps he meant that. (I emailed the brother but haven't heard back)

Dr. Skeeter

I'm disappointed. When Phil quit they said the reason was because Ho13 is going to be a touring band and their manager told me they'd come down to Nashville fo sho. Now what? WHAT THE FUCK!? Excited nonetheless. Just want to see some trve occvlt d00m live.

Damocles74

I have seen HO13 live with both Ben and Phil singing, they each have their strengths \m/
Redditor Lucis Aeternae

Damocles74

New song "Lucky Bones" \m/

Redditor Lucis Aeternae