Orange Goblin - A Eulogy for the Damned

Started by mutantcolors, February 04, 2012, 01:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutantcolors

Alright, now that I've given it a proper handful of spins:

I stand by my previous statement of HOLY SHIT, and then some. I'm not gonna spoil the surprises with a blow by blow. Just know that there wasn't a corner cut on a single note of this record. 100% gold riffage, song writing and production. I don't know where the fuck this came from, but I do not recall OG being this fucking bad ass in the past. They were good, but they obviously went to the grindstone and did work for this release. There's some seriously excellent stonery, metally, rocky goodness packed into this thing.

Get this fucking record. A+.

edit: this review needs just one more fuck.

db3jed

This one is tearing my head off at the moment.
The wait for this thing was truly painful and I can't express my joy as I listened to this for the first time!
I'm not sure how to characterize this album in relation to the rest of their catalog at this point; it's just too new to me right now.
I don't post very often but this album has got me geeking so bad I had to chime in.

Great overall sound and tones (though I do miss the fuzz).
Probably Chris' best drum sound to date; just awesome.
Great riffs, great lyrics, and great pacing from song to song.

This thing is a killer and will wind up at the top of the heap for Best of '12 at this rate.
10/10
Highly recommended!
I'm dying to see these guys live!

The Shocker

I LOVED Orange Goblin when they had 2 guitarists.  Meh when they went to 1.  Will this change my mind?

Demon Lung

GodShifter

Same deal as deaner for me. With Coup de Grace and everything else since =  no thanks.

Good bunch of guys whom I got to meet at Emissions 04' (I think), but I'm not into them anymore. First three were great, though.

Dunedin

Havent heard the full album yet but the production on Red Tide Rising is streets ahead of their other material. I was well into them 6-7 years ago but had kind of lost interest. This will be the album to get me back into them I think. Off to get a copy asap.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

Metal and Beer

The song "Red Tide Rising" just came on the normally-silly metal channel my cable TV provider offers and it's pretty fuckin' good.
(I sometimes put on that channel when doin' other shit to see if anything catches my ear. It's almost always bunk bullshit like Every Time The Red Night Buries My Darkened Bride)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

mutantcolors

that's far from what I'd consider the best stuff on the record, just for reference

Demon Lung

supershit

Well, in my opinion it is a good record. But still, not their strongest one (Just production wise) To be really critical I think it's almost too polished. But anyway, it's Goblin and it pretty much sounds like it should, so after all it's a good record.

The Shocker

Quote from: The Shocker on February 15, 2012, 08:27:47 AM
I LOVED Orange Goblin when they had 2 guitarists.  Meh when they went to 1.  Will this change my mind?

Did not change my mind.  Meh.