Electric Wizard Black Masses

Started by Mr. Blue, December 07, 2010, 01:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Blue

I have to say that after a few weeks of listening to this I really haven't played it to much after all.  I mean its good and all, but I played the shit out of Witchcult Today.  I actually like Witchcult Today better.  I don't know... some of it seems over done.
3 reasons why James said that his Black Sabbath record was important:
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

lowdaddy

i listened to it 3 or 4 times but haven't listened to it in about a week.  that's the way ewiz goes for me though.  it's been the same with all their other stuff too.  i listen to it when i first get it and then piut it up.  from then on i'll just take it out and listen to it every once in awhile.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

Doommantia

I love the album when I first got the promo for it but now it is already starting to lose its shine. I don't know but they seemed to have lost their edge, the heaviness is not there like it used to be and they have move into a psych-rock direction and forgot about the doom. It is still a very good album but compared to Dopethrone etc etc, something is lacking I feel.

The Shocker

I know I'm in the minority, but I hated Witchcult Today.  This one is better, but still too similar to Witchcult.  Somehow the songs have become simpler with way too much repeated lyrics.  The songs have become kinda dull compared to their early albums.

Mr. Blue

It kinda reminds me of Dopethrone in some ways.  I am totally in the minority if not the only person, but Dopethrone didn't really do much for me.  I listen to it the least of all their albums.  I like the psych elements in Black Masses a lot though.
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

Doommantia

I ran a little poll on Facebook a while back on the Black Masses album and was surprised to find out, nobody liked the album. I think it is still pretty good so I don't understand the hate people have for it.

core9

I don't think it will ever get better than "Come My Fanatics" for me.  Top to bottom=FLAWLESS!!

The Shocker

I actually like the self titled debut the best.  ???

sleestak

Quote from: core9 on December 08, 2010, 09:28:01 PM
I don't think it will ever get better than "Come My Fanatics" for me.  Top to bottom=FLAWLESS!!

Lest we forget it opens with the heaviest riff in history.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

peyotepeddler

yeah i really dug "come my fanatics", muddy on the low end, but its all good

black masses, i dig the riffs and the lo-fi treatment on the geetars, somewhat splatty but it fits the mood and vibes

one thing i noticed, on my cheap boombox in the kitchen it really sounds flat and non heavy, just loud and buzzy

switch to the puter with a nice set of cans amped up, and the album comes alive, much more body and heaviness

so, its lo-fi, but sounds better on a nice system to reproduce everything to the ninth degree, weird times

Mr. Blue

I have actually been digging Let Us Prey lately.

eyeprod

I like the production on this a lot. Kinda get sick of hearing the same sound from one band, so I think it's refreshing. Don't like the vocals very much tho
CV - Slender Fungus

Griz

At this point into their career, I think almost every Electric Wizard fan has picked their own 'high point' album. I really like 'Black Masses' for very simple reasons; the majority of the songs are very strong, the length of the album is just right and I respect the fact that they chose a new production style that is very polarizing since most people I know have a pretty strident opinion on the production.

Any kind of modern studio and/or producer can make a standard "heavy" or amp worshiping Electric Wizard album. I really like the fact they chose to approach a different kind of sound. It's undeniably Electric Wizard. I don't think producers get quite the credit that movie directors get even though they share almost identical roles. I think Electric Wizard knew exactly what they were shooting for and I personally think they're more into capturing the 'atmosphere' of their songs and less focus on the sonic brutality. In this case, the vibe out shadows the expected fuzzed out bass and throbbing drums.

Dopethrone also had a very polarizing production value but either way, most all agreed that the songs were top notch.

I dig the vibe of the album and that's why I am still interested in Electric Wizard after all these years. They don't feel the need to make that classic, past-your-prime mistake of trying to produce an album that they believe 'sounds' like them...

As long as they keep trying new sounds combined with great songs, I'll listen.

Gatti

i really dig this album, the production reminds me of 7th generation tapes we would trade back in the late 80s early 90s

Mr. Blue

Quote from: Gatti on December 11, 2010, 03:44:41 AM
i really dig this album, the production reminds me of 7th generation tapes we would trade back in the late 80s early 90s

Lol!!!  Yeah, I can hear that.

acrimony

QuoteI don't think it will ever get better than "Come My Fanatics" for me.  Top to bottom=FLAWLESS!!

Agree with the above but I still like this new album a lot. More than Witchcult today as well.

Mr. Blue

Quote from: acrimony on December 13, 2010, 01:22:13 PM
QuoteI don't think it will ever get better than "Come My Fanatics" for me.  Top to bottom=FLAWLESS!!

Agree with the above but I still like this new album a lot. More than Witchcult today as well.

Come My Fanatics come in at 3rd for me.  I like it and all, but I am more into the 1st one and Witchcult.  I would probably put We Live after Fanatics.

stonerphonic

First 4 trax off Black Masses def kick hard. They've def gone for a more groove/ hook feel to the songs as opposed to the bone crushing doom of olde, but I must admit I don't mind the change. After Patterns of Evil tho I tend to lose interest, whereas with previous releases I clung on to the final note before letting go of the listening experience. I got off on the lo-fi approach, and believe the album didn't lose anything by not having its ass over-Rubined. Sorry, over-produced.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good production sound, as in the difference between AC/DC's Dirty Deeds compared to Highway to Hell. Mutt Lange produced the nuts off that thing and fuck it sounds real good against Dirty Deeds. It just does.

But all in all, Black Masses ain't no Come My Fanatics, but I'd sure as hell do Black Masses on infinite repeat before I ever turned on free to air OR paid radio....

No offence Howard.
If you're not famous at fourteen... you're fucked.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Mr. Blue on December 07, 2010, 01:20:33 AM
I mean its good and all, but I played the shit out of Witchcult Today.  I actually like Witchcult Today better.  I don't know... some of it seems over done.
Agree with all of this.

yesca

ehh i actually think Black Masses is one of there weaker albums. to me Electric Wizards self titled album was perfect.

yeezuz

Quote from: grimniggzy on March 14, 2011, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: Mr. Blue on December 07, 2010, 01:20:33 AM
I mean its good and all, but I played the shit out of Witchcult Today.  I actually like Witchcult Today better.  I don't know... some of it seems over done.
Agree with all of this.
same here. Venus in Furs is doing it for me pretty well tho.

Eyehatehippies

I love it.  The songwriting is some of their strongest and most consistent on an album (as much as I love Come My Fanatics, the second half has a sharp decline in song quality...), the production is interesting and not crappy sounding like Dopethrone, and the vocals sound better than ever.  I'd only rate Let Us Prey and We Live above this one actually...

I was here, but I disappare.

Mr. Blue

Quote from: yesca on March 29, 2011, 10:18:47 PM
ehh i actually think Black Masses is one of there weaker albums. to me Electric Wizards self titled album was perfect.

Yeah, their self titled one I like about as much as I like Witchcult Today.  I probably put We Live third and Let Us Prey fourth.

core9

I just can't get past the production...I respect them for doing something different but fuck me, if you crank it up to get some bass thumping you get those shrill-ass vocals killing your ears.  I dig the groove elements, but there really aren't many memorable riffs. IMO

Mr. Blue

I think I am gonna trade this in.  It's really not my thing these days.