Electric Wizard Black Masses

Started by Mr. Blue, December 07, 2010, 01:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimniggzy

Quote from: Mr. Blue on April 01, 2011, 02:24:07 PM
Quote from: yesca on March 29, 2011, 10:18:47 PM
ehh i actually think Black Masses is one of there weaker albums. to me Electric Wizards self titled album was perfect.

Yeah, their self titled one I like about as much as I like Witchcult Today.  I probably put We Live third and Let Us Prey fourth.

Hmm, interesting. I think We Live & especially Let Us Prey are their weakest albums.
My top 3 would have to be Fanatics, Dopethrone & Witchcult.

SabbathJeff

I'm listening to this album again now.  I used to have all of The Wizard's releases, but they were lost in the great purge of last year.  I've gotten back Dopethrone and Come My Fanatics, and I picked up Black Masses on a whim.  Doubt I'll get the OG split or Supercoven back, but anyway, this album is by far not my favorite EW outing.  The riffs are buried under this psychedelic drug atmospheric stuff that really irritates me.  I wanna hear and feel the riff.  Back to Dopethrone I guess.
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

gritty_fingers

Quote from: grimniggzy on April 15, 2011, 02:14:55 PM
Quote from: Mr. Blue on April 01, 2011, 02:24:07 PM
Quote from: yesca on March 29, 2011, 10:18:47 PM
ehh i actually think Black Masses is one of there weaker albums. to me Electric Wizards self titled album was perfect.

Yeah, their self titled one I like about as much as I like Witchcult Today.  I probably put We Live third and Let Us Prey fourth.

Hmm, interesting. I think We Live & especially Let Us Prey are their weakest albums.
My top 3 would have to be Fanatics, Dopethrone & Witchcult.

I will have to agree with this. As for this album, I have mixed feelings. I like the songwriting but the production is a bit lacking. I can't put my finger on why though..
"Ginger People"

The Shocker

Quote from: deaner33 on December 07, 2010, 02:36:14 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I hated Witchcult Today.  This one is better, but still too similar to Witchcult.  Somehow the songs have become simpler with way too much repeated lyrics.  The songs have become kinda dull compared to their early albums.

I would like to revise my opinion on Black Masses.  It's fucking awesome, just took time to grow on me.  Witchcult today still sucks though despite repeated attempts to love it.

CanookieWookie

Black Masses is indeed better than Witchcult Today, but I like both albums.

cat shepard

At work it's just like the chants of black mass, black mass, bouncing off the bricks and swirling around themselves.

Magnu

I know I'm in the minority but I fucking love this album and think they've only gotten better since Dopethrone which is my least favorite outing by them.

Seeing these new songs live was bliss.

core9

Quote from: deaner33 on September 29, 2011, 02:43:48 PM
Quote from: deaner33 on December 07, 2010, 02:36:14 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I hated Witchcult Today.  This one is better, but still too similar to Witchcult.  Somehow the songs have become simpler with way too much repeated lyrics.  The songs have become kinda dull compared to their early albums.

I would like to revise my opinion on Black Masses.  It's fucking awesome, just took time to grow on me.  Witchcult today still sucks though despite repeated attempts to love it.

Weird, I've just the opposite vibe.  Never could get into Black Masses, and wasn't to thrilled with Witchcult, but since it was announced that they have begun a new album I started to listen again.  Still can't dig Black Masses, but really digging Witchcult, even though they use basically the same riff in 3 songs.

Moving Mountains

I guess if you go in expecting to hear Fanatics II you'd be disappointed, but on it's own I'd say it's a good album. Different, but good. But all in all there seems to be some underdeveloped potential on Black Masses that could have pushed it to the next level.

cat shepard

It's real cooked. It's cool the way it is. They failed in some ways,  which makes it so much fresher than the homogenization of shit today. It's like the same song over and over after different experiments with the mind or something.

BrianDamage

I really dig all of their albums but I listen to each one expecting something different. They have changed with each of their albums and that is one of the things I dig the most about them. Honestly I would be tired of them if they just did Dopethrone over and over again.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

RageofKlugman

QuoteI really dig all of their albums but I listen to each one expecting something different. They have changed with each of their albums and that is one of the things I dig the most about them. Honestly I would be tired of them if they just did Dopethrone over and over again.

I think that's a good point. I'm not a massive fan of Black Masses, but it's still encouraging to see EW trying something new rather than just treading water. Fingers crossed that the next album will be more to my taste!

core9

Well I finally listened to Black Masses on headphones....it makes a lot more sense now.  I truly believe that they mixed this album exclusively for headphones.  When I listen to it on great stereos and shitty stereos it just doesn't work...it sounds all over the place.  In the phones it comes together more.  The songs are actually really good, it was just very hard for me to get past the production/mix.

dunwichamps

Night Child and Patterns of Evil are my jams off this album so far. You gotta go into it knowing that EW is not like the trio that started the band. If you dont give up that ghost it may be harder to digest. The sound is definitely more occult centered, with more groove to the riffs I would say. It does follow a lot from Witchcult which I like more than Black Masses