Capricorn Classics...

Started by CanookieWookie, January 01, 2012, 08:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanookieWookie

Probably the premier "Southern Rock" label in the 70s, well known for being the home of the Allman Brothers Band.  There were some other less known bands, who are deserving of some praise...  here are a few, what do you think?

and of course...

The Shocker

Can't view youtube at work.  >:(  You have Johnny Jenkins posted? His Ton-Ton Macoute! album rocks!

CanookieWookie

No Johnny Jenkins, but I do own the cd.

Woody

That Johnny Jenkins tape is mint!

CanookieWookie

Agreed.  Too bad not too many folk know about it.

The Shocker

Some of the Allman Brothers guys play on it.

CanookieWookie

Correct sir, including Duane Allman.  :)

The Shocker

White Witch had a couple of albums on Capricorn.  Weird band.

And don't forget Captain Beyond!

CanookieWookie

I can never forget Captain Beyond :)

White Witch was cool. The first album was very psych influenced, while the 2nd was more glam. 

It is too bad they both never released anymore stuff (I don't count the 3rd CP).   Hydra was good as well. 

All 3 of those are more "rock" than "southern rock" .

CanookieWookie

I never got around to hearing Fringe Benefit.  I have always looked for a lossless rip of it, and could never find one, and of course it never got re-released on cd by Capricorn.

goldwater

bought "fringe bebefit" some time ago for cheap, because it was on capricorn. i did'nt know anything about it. sorry to say, but it's not southern rock.really it's not rock at all.
we all lost in 64

CanookieWookie

I know Capricorn records branched out abit as it was not only a "southern rock" label, so that may be where Fringe Benefit fit in. 

Mr. Blue

Wasn't Wet Willie on Capricorn?  I dig those records. 
3 reasons why James said that his Black Sabbath record was important:
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

CanookieWookie

Yes sir. I also own all those on cd.

L. Ron

Third on the Johnny Jenkins record, that album is the tits.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.