Alkana ....

Started by CanookieWookie, January 22, 2012, 01:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanookieWookie

A band that, to me, should have been able to hit the "big" time, but never managed much.  It's too bad, they only released one album.  Any other mid to late 70's bands you can think of that shoulda been "more popular" or got their due?

The Shocker

Were they before or after Van Halen got started?  Always got that early Van Halen vibe from that album.

CanookieWookie

I'd think after, however I am not sure if they gigged much before this release.

vinyldinosaurus

Great album. Wish I had it on vinyl. It was released the same year as the VH debut (1978).

libertycaps

Not bad in a cheesy late 70's way. I can't decide if it's more like early Montrose or late era Spinal Tap.

CanookieWookie

No way, to these ears or opinion are they like Spinal Tap.  I think they were a solid late 70s rock band.  Spinal Tap were..well, Spinal Tap.

I had read that this was eventually supposed to get a cd release.  It doesn't look like its going to happen.

GodShifter

I've never heard of these guys. I'm definitely going to check them out.

GodShifter

I checked these dudes out. Pretty damn cool though I must admit I don't hear much Van Halen with this band. If anything, to be honest, I hear a lot of Diamond Head (maybe?). They definitely have that NWOBHM feel to them.

They remind me a tad in terms of feel like an early 80's band named Americade who tried, oh-so desperately, to try and mimic Van Halen. Not saying Alkana did, though. As I said, I get more of a Diamond Head feel from them (though they predated DH by a few years). Maybe some Angel or Starz, too?

The Shocker

Quote from: GodShifter on January 25, 2012, 08:42:17 PM
I checked these dudes out. Pretty damn cool though I must admit I don't hear much Van Halen with this band. If anything, to be honest, I hear a lot of Diamond Head (maybe?). They definitely have that NWOBHM feel to them.

They remind me a tad in terms of feel like an early 80's band named Americade who tried, oh-so desperately, to try and mimic Van Halen. Not saying Alkana did, though. As I said, I get more of a Diamond Head feel from them (though they predated DH by a few years). Maybe some Angel or Starz, too?

Well, the Van Halen comment is coming from someone who at best is a casual Van Halen fan.
Angel has way too much keyboards and cheese to be similar, IMO. 

GodShifter

Agreed, though, there is that stadium rock thing going on that is similar to Angel (or, if we go with Staz, Coliseum Rock) har har.

But, yeah, just kind of throwing some bands out there that I thought were remotely similar.

The Shocker

Ok, I went back and listened to it again.  Not sure why I thought Van Halen except that the guitar is the main focus here.  Shifter, I guess I'd lump it in with bands like Moxy, Legs Diamond & yes, Starz.