BBQ!

Started by Sally, August 03, 2012, 08:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James1214

I will totally smoke fish and chicken and other stuff too, I made smoked lamb ribs last year on my Weber kettle that ruled. My neighbor does pork butt once a month. So I think I'll get use out of it. Our local BBQ joint closed like 4 years ago, been missing BBQ in my life.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

words

RAGER

I'm not a big fan of smoked chicken. I've fallen in love with the way Thai people make chicken.

But yeah if you don't have any good bbq nearby then I would see it as a necessity to do your own.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I'm totally smoking chicken tomorrow.  Brined, then White sauce, smoked for two hours, then dunked in sauce, then seared, then dunked again for service.

Ribs and jerk wings too, all smoked. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I'd like to have plans of cooking this weekend but I don't dare in case I'm bed ridden. Fuck! 
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

So I made a few aftermarket mods to my smoker.   Installed a ne dome thermometer

Added a locking hinge to the lid/body and put a felt seal on the lid seat and access door.

Added an Arborfab center coal capturing thing.

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

We'll see how this thing holds temp and for how long, now.  High hopes. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

That's the Minion starter basket right? 

You've probably watched this guys vids. He's damn serious about the Smokey Mountains.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Yep.   Works like this. 

I haven't watched too many vids on the thing, but I'll check this out.  I have the time today.  ;)

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

That dude is quite the master of the WSM. Now I'm looking for one on CL.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Watched it, and it's interesting how different my methods are to his.  I put water in the pan, he doesn't.  He uses a blower system with temp control, which it pretty cool.  I don't have that. 

They're much more expensive now, and I would argue not worth it compared with other boutique smokers.  Mine is the large one and is currently $550 on A-zon.  The 18 at HD in $419 the last I saw. Too much money for what it is in my opinion.  I think my wife paid just over $300 for mine about 6 years ago.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I'm seeing the 18" on CL for $200 ish and they look barely used. I wouldn't bother with a blower though. I'm not gonna invest much.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Seems strange to me to think that's a good deal, but I think that these days it is.  My boss, who lives near Dallas Tx found one on CL for like $30, just people getting rid of their "junk".  That was only a few months ago. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Hmmm

LavaLock Rib Hanger for WSM WeberSmokey Mountain - Stainless Steel Meat Hanging System with Rib https://a.co/d/gJDMtiz
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Maybe it's not a great deal but they do look mostly unused.
Could always watch an and that's been reposted a few times and lowball em.

That rib hanger looks cool as long as you have consistent heat.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

That's what the water pan is for.  I'd get it to hang sausage though. 

Ribs on at 11am.

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

it's probably a fair price these days. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Looks like there's a couple of different blower options.  $200.  It might be worth it to me given how much I use it.  ESPECIALLY if I request it as a Christmas gift. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Or a computer fan,ducting, thermostat and sail switch.

Or no sail switch.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

That one from Auber instruments looks pretty trick. And it's for the 22"
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Yeah, my gears are turning too.  A PID controller that varies fan speed would be the best option.   These do that I think.   I wonder how much could be saved by piecing one together with stuff from Mouser. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Cheaper parts wise but what's your time worth. And variable fan speed would be ideal instead of off/on.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

It's gotta be with names like "UltraQ" and "Pit Viper".
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Super Duper Pit-Lock.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.