PIZZA

Started by mortlock, September 30, 2011, 01:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

Id never heard of a grandma pizza. looks kind of like foccacia.
There was a place in NYC's little italy that had this..

MadJohnShaft

The pizza my Italian step grandmother made as the family recipe and called pizza was a corn meal and flour based crust, oil, and anchovies - it was a thing for them since forever but not so well loved by the newbies

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Chovie D

fuck yeah....put some chovies on that bitch! ;)

MadJohnShaft

No tomato just those three things.  They used corn oil, there was no olive oil in the U.P.

mortlock

RAGER

I made a pizza last night with anchovies tomaters and sliced smoked andouille sausage.  Just olive oil and garlic on the crust.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

pics or it didn't happen..

juggernaut

Quote from: Lumpy on August 12, 2013, 06:50:42 PM
You ever have a 'Grandma' slice? It rules. Thick crust with the tomato sauce on top, and a little fresh garlic. Cheese underneath. No other toppings. The crust has three different textures... crispy on the bottom, fluffy dough in the middle, and chewy/moist on top. Rectangular pan, cut in squares.

You mean sicilian pizza? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_pizza

My great grandmother from Sicily used to make it by hand in an apt in NYC.  Still the best version I've ever had.  It's a nice change of pace now and then but I still prefer thin crust.

Demon Lung

Quote from: juggernaut on August 15, 2013, 02:35:23 PM
You ever have a 'Grandma' slice? It rules. Thick crust with the tomato sauce on top, and a little fresh garlic. Cheese underneath. No other toppings. The crust has three different textures... crispy on the bottom, fluffy dough in the middle, and chewy/moist on top. Rectangular pan, cut in squares.

You mean sicilian pizza? 

My great grandmother from Sicily used to make it by hand in an apt in NYC.  Still the best version I've ever had.  It's a nice change of pace now and then but I still prefer thin crust.
nah the Sicilian is different than the grandma. The grandma is made with marinara not pizza sauce. It has circles of mozzarella on it . And basil. But it seems like their is more marinara in the perfect spots. It's a thinner crispier less bready crust than the Sicilian.

juggernaut

Quote from: Demon Lung on August 15, 2013, 04:17:41 PM
Quote from: juggernaut on August 15, 2013, 02:35:23 PM

You mean sicilian pizza? 

nah the Sicilian is different than the grandma. The grandma is made with marinara not pizza sauce. It has circles of mozzarella on it . And basil. But it seems like their is more marinara in the perfect spots. It's a thinner crispier less bready crust than the Sicilian.

Interesting.  Sounds pretty tasty. 

MadJohnShaft

In Ogunquit Maine last night we had the 'a basic margarita cooked on some woodfire fucking dome thing by hipster indie rockers' pizza and it was great, as always.

RAGER

Made a pizza in one of my DeBuyer pans last night.  Pizza cacio e pepe with onions and garlic.

Then finished it off with some fresh arugula and oil

No Focus Pocus

deleted account

somebody give Shaft the smelling salts

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on January 08, 2014, 12:23:44 PM
Made a pizza in one of my DeBuyer pans last night.  Pizza cacio e pepe with onions and garlic.

Then finished it off with some fresh arugula and oil

dude, not that im trying to fuck with your culinary skillz, but calling that 'pizza' is a stretch. not saying it doesn't look good, just saying it aint pizza. if you folded that together, it would be a sandwich not a calzone.

RAGER

I figure if they make pizza cacio e pepe in Rome and call it pizza then I surely can.  I just added garlic, onions, and arugula.

I love our pizza debates.  How do you feel about turkey bacon.  I find it near blasphemous but still enjoy it.  I would rather it be called fried turkey strips though and not bacon cuz bacon is holy.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Frozen Pizza dough is the way to go. The weird Produce World store sells unmarked frozen individual bags of dough for 0.78 and they are perfect.

I've been ordering from this pretty great pizza place and today I found myself standing in front of it this evening - it's just a counter place with no seats. They have escolana style

mortlock

I suppose I could google it, but..what is escolana style pizza??

RAGER

Never heard of it either.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

It's apparently off their menu now - it was their family recipe,  like Chicago deep dish style a bit - so the crust was more pastry like but the thin crust version of that.   

RAGER

Did it have some sausage stuffed olives on it because I found something like that with a similar spelling.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

that's good to know, I was worried it had something to do with colons and enemas..

MadJohnShaft

Ascolana, we had it last night. Delicious.

RAGER

Ok.  What kinds of toppings?  Are there a specific kind of olives?  What's ascolana?
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

You have to put unpitted green cocktail olives up yer butt for 2 weeks to ferment first.

Helpful tip: if any make their way out, just pop 'em right back in again before they cool.
Livin' The Life.