Post Your Jams, Improvs, One-Offs and Practices

Started by Dave J, January 19, 2018, 05:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonergrunge

This song was recorded during a rehearsal last sunday, it's not a heavy tune at all... in fact, it's very smooth and there's no distortion or fuzz involved, so... you all have been warned  ;)

cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

everdrone

have been doing the lead singer/guitarist coverband thing for awhile but today recorded this short clip...long time no see! Hope yall are doing WELL!  Check it out:

https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance/2021-11-28-awakenedsabbath-vibes

Sabbath type clip - DOOM METAL - war pigs inspired, CaptorX, Thunderverb 50, rick bass, Gibson LP

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

renfield

My process is: I'll set up a drum loop, and then hit record and try to come up with riffs
Then I'll listen back and find the riffs I like, and discard the ones that I immediately realize are simply stolen.
..and that's where I get stuck. It's just a bunch of riffs, I don't know how or if they fit together into a song. The other boys in the band come in with fully formed songs with all the transitions between the parts, an overall shape and everything!

last night's riffs:
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/renfield666/resonance-cascade[/soundcloud]

RAGER

I hear ya. I don't have anybody to bounce ideas off. I just came up with a cool riff idea I like so it must be somebody else's.

Or maybe that's just my self defense mechanism to keep me from actually doing anything.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i love playing free jazz for just this reason. total freedom. no riffs or structure to adhere to. its the difference between abstract paintings and paintings of objects. weve been dabbling in some free jazz since last summer. the more we play it, the more it feels like that all i want to do anymore.

renfield

RAGER

My buddy John and I do this. We call it stoner jazz.  Just us two.  Me on drums him on bass. If I were to play guitar with another stringed instrument or keys there would have to be key structure. Play as long or whatever on time but it'd have to be in key.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

You must embrace microtones. Then you are never technically out of key.

mortlock

Ive been a fan of free jazz for a long time. Back in the mid 2000s i had a great free jazz band that was just synth, el. Bass and sax. No drums in the core group. I found it very liberating being in a band with no drums from a bass player perspective. It really changed my approach to the instrument since i was completely broken from the traditional role of bass playing. Occassionally we would join with other jazz ensembles and have a drummer, 2 or 3 sax players and guitar. Those were the best and wildest shows ive ever played. One of my most favorite local bands was the blood and bone orchestra. They consisted of drums, upright bass, sax and guitar. I am friends the guys. One time their bassist (and drummer) was unable to make an out of town gig and the sax player called me and asked if i could sub. I was honored to sit in. He picked me up and on the way to the gig, i asked him what we were going to do. Now, i knew everything was improvised but i figured there might be some theme or something. He looked at me and said 'we have one rule in this band, we dont talk about what we are going to play'. We got to the gig set up, stepped out and smoked up. Came back in and went on. It was a wild ride and one of the best gigs i ever played. Thats the first pic. The second is my free jazz band with a mando player and the sax player from babo sitting in with us.

mortlock

Speaking of my jazz band (NPV), there was that one time i managed to get us on this show with lo pan and backwoods payback (im pretty sure you guys know who those bands are around here). It was a weird gig for us to be sure but i think some people dug it, not everyone.

Muffin Man

mortlock, you are a great musician. has the heart and plays plays plays.

Submarine

Quote from: mortlock on December 04, 2021, 11:22:38 AM
'we have one rule in this band, we dont talk about what we are going to play'.

Excellent! ;D

RAGER

Z
No Focus Pocus

Stonergrunge

As always, mistakes are guaranteed to happen and the mic of the cellphone sucks, but anyway...

Chain: Lyon By Washburn guitar - Warm Audio Foxy Tone Box (octave on) - Frost Giant Electronics The Maryland Doomfest '23 Massif Fuzz - Frost Giant Electronics Little Acid Fuzz - BOSS DD8 Digital Delay (Shimmer mode) - BOSS RC3 Loop Station (with BOSS FS7 Dual Foot Switch) - Washburn South Side VGA30R amplifier.

Fuzz is love

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Stonergrunge

Quote from: RAGER on July 11, 2023, 01:36:56 AMYou need a band.

I would like to but nobody cares around here and... besides, if I had a band I would probably be deaf by now  ;D  ;D

By the way, here is my latest video (audio only). This is my interpretation of how a nasty wall of fuzz/distortion should sound like. For this tune, I used my Reverend Flatroc guitar, a little bit of the Real McCoy Custom RMC3FL wah and mostly the MJM London Fuzz II and the Sunmachine Reptile Fuzz together:

Fuzz is love

Muffin Man

Stonergrunge, you sure have top quality taste in stomp boxes.  It's fun to hear your stuff. I had an RMC but mistakenly sold it, might have to look them up again. Wah's are probably a rabbit hole, so many flavors. RMC has like 10 of them or something. Oops I do have an auto-wah, those are weird. Oh, I have a custom made cocked-wah. Super duper rare one. Like 1-of-1 from a master builder. Your post above encourages me to make a clip or two/bring my stomp boxes out of storage.

Stonergrunge

Quote from: Muffin Man on July 29, 2023, 01:40:55 AMStonergrunge, you sure have top quality taste in stomp boxes.  It's fun to hear your stuff. I had an RMC but mistakenly sold it, might have to look them up again. Wah's are probably a rabbit hole, so many flavors. RMC has like 10 of them or something. Oops I do have an auto-wah, those are weird. Oh, I have a custom made cocked-wah. Super duper rare one. Like 1-of-1 from a master builder. Your post above encourages me to make a clip or two/bring my stomp boxes out of storage.

Wahs are always fun but I'm too brutal with them (the pot always gets noisy after a while).

By the way, this is my latest video and quite possibly the last one that I will ever upload as "audio only" to YouTube. This is also an instrumental but I'm only using one pedal here, the MJM London Fuzz II, with the neck pickup of my Reverend Flatroc and the tone knob rolled-back for an extra MUDDY fuzz.

Fuzz is love