Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

You're not thinking outside the box. It's not just a guitar pedal. I have a shit ton of synth gear to use this with too.

The S&H thing just struck me as funny thinking of watching the faders jump around like that.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

The more I play this Automatone preamp pedal the more I like it. You know how you're always tweaking the knobs of whatever overdrive You're using?  You'd spend an hour futzing around with 3 pedals.  Depending on the day, the weather, how hot your amp is, what amp you're using, what you're playing, etc......?  It's nice to just think let's try this and hit the switch and soon you're in the sweet spot and inspiration sparks. Maybe roll back the frequency with the expression pedal a bit or whatever setting you want.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Sounds like a winner. Nice haul.

Landed today, the audio is tv in the backround. Just plugged in and warming it up. No clue what I'm doing but ain't it purty? Metal case. @socket

/suggest loop .mov for pin-joint surprise

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

That's it! Latest itteration which is black limited edition colorway. Feels and sounds real good. I'll have to put in some study time with it - all this LFO and wavetables stuff is new to me, and FM which is what I'm looking for (I think). Tweaked one of the factory presets and got some cool stuff.

RAGER

Got this today. The cheapo. Ain't too bad. Currently temp acclimating before a truss rod adjust and heavier strings and a tedious Floyd rose set up.

I'm equally excited about the case.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Gave the cheapo a trussrod adjust and a quick setup. It ain't bad. Pickups suck but I'll just replace the bridge one. Bigger neck than my real LP.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Doesn't that guitar look like it belongs in an Electric Six video? 
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I put speed knobs on it. Makes the push pull pots easier to manage.

No Focus Pocus

James1214

Floyd's on a LP shaped guitars always break my brain a little.

words

words

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

James1214

Oh I know, and appreciate it, it's just..... not what I think when I think of Pauls. I will say that I really like how the speed knobs look.

words

words

James1214

Also, the same buddy who gave back that sunn cab just offered me his fender champ clone that I built for him a long time ago. All hand wired point to point on turret board.  It's housed in a hatchet job headshell, not pretty, but functional. I just ordered a custom headshell from my buddy Kenny, so it'll have something nice in a week or so.

The amp totally rips. Sounds amazing and is super fucking loud, especially given that it's only 15 watts.

words

words

neighbor664

I've so been GASsing for a Floyd/Edge equipped axe. Not that I need another guitar at all. Definitely eyeballed one of those Xaviers. I think I may want an Ibanez JS. I'll probably just end up dropping a Floyd into one of my parts-casters though.

RAGER

Champs are 15 watts?  Had an og one waaaaaaaaaay back. 60's version.  I was a kid.  Prolly traded it for a Peavey or something don't remember.  That's a rad amp to build.  Going with black tolex or tweed?

I'm telling ya that guitar ain't bad for the price.  It'll never be my #1 or #2 , that's reserved for my LP
classic and 82 SG600,  but it still isn't bad.  It's got their Crunchy Pat p/u's in it.  They're cheap and microphonic.
I ordered the VEH high output ones to try for 34.95.  I'll be surprised if I like them.  If I don't I'll buy another SH-18.  I like that p/u a lot. 

WGS Green Berets show up tomorrow for the new old Marshall bottom cab so it'll be loading speakers and moving/stacking re stacking cabs day.  Found out the guy that owned it before the guy that had it before me I know.  He's an amp tech and he brought my Marshall head back to life 12 years ago when I got it.  We used to play in a band together 20 years ago.  Small world.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Heh, indeed.

I think the guitar looks great. Is it irridescent, pearl paint? Kinda looks like it.

James, don't look at Devo's LP's!

Yeah, crunchy. I love ceramic pickups. Moving cab's "all day". Shit, that takes about 20 minutes.

RAGER

Nope. Just shiny white. Looks like the "binding" is painted on. Like I said,  it was cheap but the Floyd stays in tune.
No Focus Pocus

James1214

Champs are usually 5 watts, but this one (the byoc clone) is upgraded to 15, all that means from an amp circuit standpoint is an upgraded output transformer and a 6l6 instead of 6v6 for the power tube, everything else is the same.

The new headshell is black tolex with all silver accents, and a PV style springy handle with silver endcaps. Totally not fender style, a custom one through and through, touches of Marshall and Sunn.

words
words

Muffin Man

RAGER

Cool. Yeah I've built some byoc stuff. Very fun.
No Focus Pocus

James1214

It does, I can't turn it past about 3 before I gotta put in the earplugs.

words

words

Muffin Man

I'd might try it in a 4x10 ceramic speaker but with several wool moving blankets draped over it. Maybe 3-4 of 'em. Or oooh, a 1x15?

RAGER

I'm dumb. I still continue to play loud without earplugs.
No Focus Pocus

James1214

The only reason I care at home is because of the 3 year old.

words

words

renfield

I got this 212 subwoofer that is supposed to be for an automobile.
My idea, for shits and giggles, was to add it to the bass rig. I have a QSC poweramp with an XLR input. So in addition to playing through my usual 115 cabinet, I was going to send the direct out from my bass amp into the QSC and then into the subwoofer.

Bad or good idea?