Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallen

Kind of a repost but here is the SG I picked up finally fixed up and running a bit better. The back was covered in stickers so those had to all get peeled and most of the back of the guitar needed goo gone to clean up the residue. The stock pickups were some meh sounding Gibsons that apparently came with this guitar but the neck pickup was rewired and got mounted backwards. It also was wired with 3 knobs like an Explorer and had no pick guard and volcano knobs. At some point the old tuning machines were replaced with Grovers.

The Gibson is a '91 SG Special. I redid the wiring to remove one of the 2 volume knobs and added speed knobs instead of the volcanos. It's now wired like a Tele. I replaced the pickups with GFS Mean 90s which barely fit the routes in the SG. The GFS pickup rings don't fit the hole pattern on the Gibson so I had to swap them out. The removed volume pot left a hole and also the previous owner managed to put a huge dent in the front of the body below the pickups so I added the pick guard to cover that damage and match the truss rod cover. I didn't want to put any more holes in this guitar so the pick guard screws are just screw heads snipped off some screws and glued into the pick guard which is attached to the guitar with double sided tape. The Mean 90s sound really good. Both neck and bridge sound great with fuzz.

The second guitar is an old Esquire Strat copy that I've had for years but never played much because of the pickups. It's a cheap guitar but I've always kept it around because the neck feels great and it always stays in tune even with the cheap tuning machines and whammy bar. The paint has gone from a white to a really nice aged cream colour. I just put in a new black pick guard with a chrome PAF copy and a 500k pot. Super simple and it sounds great.

I just put single coils back in my other Strat too. Swapping pickups around is pretty fun. Spend a little time with a soldering iron and it's like having a bunch of new guitars around. Next project is to put a new neck pickup in the Explorer and rewire the volume pots because I can't get used to having the bridge pickup volume in the center pot.

Metal and Beer

I got a silver-greenish metalflake Polaris snare drum from my pops' big band. It's an ancient thing, Japanese, looks to be from the 60's judging by its old-ass appearance/patina...never heard of the name and can't find a suitable pic online but here's a pic I found of the badge:

This thing sounds super-badass compared to the beg/interm. Pearl I've been using..
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Discö Rice

Nice! Maple? Steel? Looks like a 14x6.5.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Corey Y

I just picked up a couple new additions to my guitar arsenal, which I haven't done much with in the last couple years. A used Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue, mint condition with an upgraded Weber 10F150 50W speaker. Also a used Fender MIM Strat, burst and maple (my favorite color combo). The previous owner made it into a hardtail, which I was planning on doing, and it even came with an extra set of my favorite brand and gauge strings. I'm planning on picking up a Dimarzio prewired pickguard for that, in black, either the Area or maybe the Paul Gilbert Injector set. The guitar and amp sound great together with my Vintage Rat pedal for some grit.

Harm

I'm waiting for this baby to arrive:

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz
More faithfulfew right here.

VOLVO)))

Hope you're handy with blue removable loctite! Those lugs eat dick. Ive got the toms from that kit for my tiny jazz/metal set up.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

rayinreverse

i bought crap that doesnt really give me anything new to play with.
i had to buy a new tuner (got a pitcblack)
and an isolated power supply (got a fuel tank jr)
so 200 dollars later and all i have is clean power and an in tune guitar.

i did fix a ggg big muff i built awhile ago. it randomly quit working and i was lazy and didnt want to troubleshoot it. turns out the switch died. now I have a sweet sounding bluebeard muff to play with tonight.

Harm

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 21, 2012, 04:28:07 PM
Hope you're handy with blue removable loctite! Those lugs eat dick.
The kit got great reviews everywhere, but i can always sell the snare if don't like it.
More faithfulfew right here.

VOLVO)))

In regards to my jcm800

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

I,Galactus

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 22, 2012, 01:44:41 AM

In regards to my jcm800

Applauded.  Keep fuckin' w/ them lowballers. :D
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

grimniggzy

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

I used to work for Campbells - do I get a discount? If so, it makes that head $150. I expect to pick it up in Aruba in 45 minutes.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Discö Rice on February 22, 2012, 11:07:32 AM
I used to work for Campbells - do I get a discount? If so, it makes that head $150. I expect to pick it up in Aruba in 45 minutes.

Weird, I just overnighted it to Sao Paulo, Brazil!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Listen, asshole - I'm Jim Marshall's dad! You give that amp back to my son and you do it now!

The Riffer

Looks like a nice pair in lace. Congrats.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

dunwichamps

needs mucho work to get to 120R stock spec, I have the original boards but they are beat and need to be redone. May redo pots, sockets in the pre, jacks, ground scheme, add shielded cable ect ect

6 x EL34, yowza batman

Might convert to either 6ca7s or E34Ls who knows.

Instant Dan

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 22, 2012, 01:44:41 AM

In regards to my jcm800

I can send you $45.00, a Dick Dale ticket, and half a box of chamonille tea.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 22, 2012, 01:49:29 PM
needs mucho work to get to 120R stock spec, I have the original boards but they are beat and need to be redone. May redo pots, sockets in the pre, jacks, ground scheme, add shielded cable ect ect

6 x EL34, yowza batman

Might convert to either 6ca7s or E34Ls who knows.

Get the proper smarty top knobs on there too. Chickenheads are lame, unless they are coloured, then they are lame and gay.

This amp electrocuted me and ate two KT88s since I put those on.

dunwichamps

I have the originals as replacement

bitter

Those knobs are fluted for our pleasure
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

Those aren't flutes, they're blood grooves.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Current State of the guts, she works when I fired her up but not a single thing like the real Sound City, it was liker buzzy tone, it has a master (where presence is) so it sounds rough. I could smell the tubes on it, probably a little hot biased

Mr. Foxen

I have no idea why people think point to point is a good idea. Give me turrets any day.

Here's roughly what it should look like for comparison, minus the random bias cap replacement, and exploded cap chunks everywhere: