Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

Quote from: jibberish on March 08, 2012, 03:59:44 PM
does a portable generator count as a new gear acquisition if it is intended to power outlaw pirate generator jams?

if so, i scored a stanley 2500w portable generator like the roofing and sheeting guys use. i saw one fall off a roof once and the dude started it right back up. i was sold.  i also plan on using it for more utilitarian duties too, so i passed on the cutesy overengineered case(including extra cost for said engineering) camping generator deals.

got it shipped right from sears for w/e $400 and change..
Very cool. Let me know how well it works. I really want to do this, this summer. Film it if possible.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

clockwork green

clockwork green

New string day. I've been using D'Addario 14-68's for over 10 years with my B and A tunings. For standard I use Pyramid strings. I recently tried a bunch of other string brands for my standard guitars and they were thin and anemic sounding so I figured I'd contact Pyramid about baritone strings. The don't make baritone sets but they put together 18 custom sets for me in exchange for a small fortune. Hopefully I'll get to use them this weekend.

VOLVO)))

How much was it? I should do that. Im tired of buying strings.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

They were a shit-ton. Depending on some options they're 15-20 per pack. The fact that they're made in Germany doesn't help but on any given guitar I only change the strings once or twice a year. The big strings just don't seem to go dead as fast as 9's or 10's.

hayseed

As I reported a few posts back, I was picking up a Laney AOR30 with a Marshall JCM900 1960a cab today on a trade. After an hour and half drive, I finally arrived at this crazy backwoods "Deliverance"-esque town with a fucking killer music store in it! New and used gear- a lot of Blackstar, Laney and Engl amps, and more
Cool guitars than not. Anyway, I tried out the AOR 30 and it was really beat. Knobs were crackily, inputs had dead spots and it was very hard to get it to break up.

Right beside it buried under some junk was a AOR 100 Pro Tube Lead. I plugged into that baby and was blown away! Killer amp in perfect shape! So I came home with an AOR100 and a 1960 cab instead. Good trade IMO for a Peavey Classic 50.

It was a good day.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

bitter

Nice! You should post some pics of that score.

VOLVO)))

This wasnt in PA, was it?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hayseed

It was in PA.

Did you guess that by my Pittsburgh accent?
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

xayk

Quote from: hayseed on March 09, 2012, 09:26:48 PM
It was in PA.

Did you guess that by my Pittsburgh accent?

Jaggerbushes 4 lyfe.

VOLVO)))

I bought my first beta lead in that shop for 50 dollars when I was 20. Awesome place.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 09, 2012, 09:59:58 PM
I bought my first beta lead in that shop for 50 dollars when I was 20. Awesome place.

damn, so would!

apekillman

Hayseed, do you mind if I ask what the store name and town is?

hayseed

Guitars N Stuff- Its a bit north of Johnstown PA, not to be confused with Pianos N Stuff, another kick ass store, in Blawnox PA. (guitarsnstuffonline.com) Very cool little store. The owner is super friendly and knowledgeable of his store contents which seems to to be 2 traits that are very rare these days. Prices are pretty reasonable too

Am i to assume that we have some local Pennsyltuckians dwelling on this board and I didn't know? SunnO)))?

grimniggzy

Quote from: hayseed on March 10, 2012, 12:19:26 AM

Am i to assume that we have some local Pennsyltuckians dwelling on this board and I didn't know? SunnO)))?

This guy, I'm a Filthadelphian

VOLVO)))

My Pops lives in Ebensburgh, I went up to see him and was googling guitar stores within 50-60 miles, that joint popped up, and we rode down. I walked in, played a couple Engl's, was shootin' the shit with the dude tellin' him what I was after, and he was like "Oh, you like Sunn amps? I've got this broken beta lead 4x10, I'll give it to ya for 50 bucks!" So, I nabbed it, brought it home to John McNeece, he fixed it, and it's sitting about 10 feet behind me as my bedroom amp. I dug that place, I dunno how he stays in business...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

I did some time in Pixburgh myself. Not enough to be a Yinzer, but my sister lives in Mt. Worshington.

Pianos N Stuff is a cool store. Jam packed with pretty good stuff. Always had nice Teles there to mess around with. Orange dealer for quite a while too, if I'm not mistaken.
poop.

hayseed

Quote from: Jake on March 10, 2012, 12:54:27 AM
I did some time in Pixburgh myself. Not enough to be a Yinzer, but my sister lives in Mt. Worshington.

Pianos N Stuff is a cool store. Jam packed with pretty good stuff. Always had nice Teles there to mess around with. Orange dealer for quite a while too, if I'm not mistaken.
Pianos N Stuff is a really killer store. TONS of stuff in there and reasonable. I bought a Fender Blacktop Tele there a couple months ago. Pittsburgh Guitars on Carson Street downtown in by far my favorite store in town but i dont seem to make it there enough. Lots of very cool stuff there- mostly vintage and boutique.

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 10, 2012, 12:45:15 AM
My Pops lives in Ebensburgh, I went up to see him and was googling guitar stores within 50-60 miles, that joint popped up, and we rode down. I walked in, played a couple Engl's, was shootin' the shit with the dude tellin' him what I was after, and he was like "Oh, you like Sunn amps? I've got this broken beta lead 4x10, I'll give it to ya for 50 bucks!" So, I nabbed it, brought it home to John McNeece, he fixed it, and it's sitting about 10 feet behind me as my bedroom amp. I dug that place, I dunno how he stays in business...
He had a 67? Sunn Solarus combo (piggy back head) there today for around $350 ish. It was tempting but I was on a tight budget today! I drove through Ebenburgh on my way to(and from) Guitars N Stuff btw.  He also had a nice Vintage SG-style 6 string that was a weird white color that almost seemed that it may glow in the dark. I guess its possible. Played very nice however.

bitter

That's a good deal on that Solarus. About half of what my local shop wants for theirs, and they initially listed it as a Polarus  ::)

apekillman

yep, i'm up in erie.  that may be kinda far for a specific trip.  but if i'm in that area, i'll seek it out for sure. 

heytrid

Quote from: jibberish on March 08, 2012, 03:59:44 PM
does a portable generator count as a new gear acquisition if it is intended to power outlaw pirate generator jams?

if so, i scored a stanley 2500w portable generator like the roofing and sheeting guys use. i saw one fall off a roof once and the dude started it right back up. i was sold.  i also plan on using it for more utilitarian duties too, so i passed on the cutesy overengineered case(including extra cost for said engineering) camping generator deals.

got it shipped right from sears for w/e $400 and change..

for these outdoor jams to quiet it down, get a someone or yourself you fab up something that fits decently tight over the muffler outlet turns 90 degrees and extends through a pipe, this way you can face it towards the ground and place it in a bigger bucket of water, pretty much kills all sound from it, Alot of guys i know that do blues festivals do this to avoid noisy generators.

heytrid

Also to keep in spirit with the thread.

I got a new upstairs amp, I only got the dark terror until my TH30 comes in though, Either way it is working for me.

apekillman

Won't that be too much back pressure on the exhaust?