Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitter

That's kind of what I was thinking. I don't know if that can damage anything but it surely has to rob some of the gens output ???
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

RAGER

Consider boating applications.  Some boats have wet exhaust only. others like hot rod boats have wet exhaust when they want quiet and valves to direct the exhaust up and out for that hotrod sound.

/know it all buzz kill
No Focus Pocus

bitter

RAGER

ok I'll put in those terms.  Is any more difficult to fart in the bathtub? ??? ;D
No Focus Pocus

bitter

I'm not so concerned about the termination of the exhaust gases into water, rather that copper pipe setup looks like it could choke the flow from the exhaust.

The gases are gonna rise, but then that pipe shoves them back down into the bucket. Makes me think if the pressure drops down too far, you loose the ability to release the exhaust straining the gen's output. I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about, but there seems to be a fair amount of pipe, coupled with multiple bends, being force down into the water. Seems like it could be more effective with the gases rising upward into an elevated water source ??? 

RAGER

I work in the RV industry and there are extension exhaust kits for generators that bring the termination above the roof line.  Sometimes those have a couple bends in them so i wouldn't sorry about it as long as the diameter of the pipe stays the same
No Focus Pocus

bitter

I was hoping for more of a fight from you, but that is an acceptable answer.

Jake

Honestly, I got my 800 on Craig's for $640. But it needed bench work to the tune of $150. I think I got a rare deal though. You are asking a fair price for yours. I think that a "completed items" search on eBay will confirm that.

Oops. Meant for "People these days" thread. Carry on.
poop.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: bitter on March 11, 2012, 06:11:21 PM
I was hoping for more of a fight from you, but that is an acceptable answer.

Make fun of his choice of cutlery...  ;D ;D ;D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Jake on March 11, 2012, 06:26:29 PM
Honestly, I got my 800 on Craig's for $640. But it needed bench work to the tune of $150. I think I got a rare deal though. You are asking a fair price for yours. I think that a "completed items" search on eBay will confirm that.

Wow, they all sold right at a grand. I feel better, now...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Peavey........that's all I'm saying.

maybe I'm selling the Orange for a set of Shuns?????
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

I betcha if I ran my Peavey at a bad mismatch on old tubes that it'd last longer than your Orange... Just sayin'.

... and I could get another one for 150$ and a Molsons Light at any store between Texas and South Carolina.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Bet not.  I'm not sure how long I was running with an EL34 that had lost vacuum never hearing a difference.  Another time I went to move it and heard something rattling around inside.  Turned out one of the screen grid resistors just melted off,  never heard a difference.  I use a couple different cabs with it. An 8 Ohm and a 16 ohm.  Have had them reversed a few times.  never knew the difference.  This amp is totally stable and doesn't give a fuck.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

;D ;D ;D

Yeah? Knowing those issues, I'll give you about 600$ for it. You can meet me in Denver, I'll be in Roanoke, VA waiting for you.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: RAGER on March 11, 2012, 06:47:43 PM
Bet not.  I'm not sure how long I was running with an EL34 that had lost vacuum never hearing a difference.  Another time I went to move it and heard something rattling around inside.  Turned out one of the screen grid resistors just melted off,  never heard a difference.  I use a couple different cabs with it. An 8 Ohm and a 16 ohm.  Have had them reversed a few times.  never knew the difference.  This amp is totally stable and doesn't give a fuck.

Not good

RAGER

Why Is this not good?  My Super Bass that I love to death is one finicky bastard.  things have to be just right or pop goes a fuse.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RAGER on March 11, 2012, 07:00:25 PM
Why Is this not good?  My Super Bass that I love to death is one finicky bastard.  things have to be just right or pop goes a fuse.

Is she? My 800 is a fucking tank, for sure...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

You will eat tube up for breakfast if you dont have screen resistors in your amp. Them melting off is generally a very bad sign of runaway redplatting or loss of bias.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 11, 2012, 07:03:57 PM

You will eat tube up for breakfast if you dont have screen resistors in your amp. Them melting off is generally a very bad sign of runaway redplatting or loss of bias.

Hey, Rager, 550 and a case of Corona Light

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

1k 5W minimum in any amp, I have used up to 2k 5Ws in amps 2.

In general screens are the most fragile thing on an output tube, and often this is where shit fails, either you arc the screens or they just fuck up

RAGER

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 11, 2012, 07:02:53 PM

Probably because of that PCB :D
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RAGER on March 11, 2012, 07:19:30 PM

At least it doesn't pop fuses if you look at it funny.  ;D ;D

I'd take your Superbass for 550, We'll call it an even 1100 bucks, and I'll forge you a set of knives.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Well funny that's not what happened.  it continued to run just fine.  Tube failure was a couple years later.  i said melted off as an assumption.  Could have been a cold solder joint and with the vibrations of the amp (I only run it dimed).

This amp is waaay stable.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 11, 2012, 07:21:18 PM
Quote from: RAGER on March 11, 2012, 07:19:30 PM

Keep talkin' smartass.  i'm feeling less and less inclined to sell it. Unless MJS offers me 5k

At least it doesn't pop fuses if you look at it funny.  ;D ;D

I'd take your Superbass for 550, We'll call it an even 1100 bucks, and I'll forge you a set of knives.
No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

Quote from: RAGER on March 11, 2012, 07:22:12 PM

Well funny that's not what happened.  it continued to run just fine.  Tube failure was a couple years later.  i said melted off as an assumption.  Could have been a cold solder joint and with the vibrations of the amp (I only run it dimed).

This amp is waaay stable.

sure it can run fine, your sample size is small but overall since the advent of modern tubes running without screen resistors causes problems like blowing ht fuses often, and can lead to OT death.