Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonergrunge

Another fuzz for my obscene fuzz pedals collection, the MJM Guitar FX London Fuzz II with silicon transistors.

I love fuzz.

[attachment deleted by admin]
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

bitter

What's the skinny on them London fuzzes?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Mr. Foxen

All accounts said JJs are the best KT77 currently available (the Gold Lion reissues were dying from Laney voltage), so I treated my Pro4000 to a set:

Shakes the floor fine.

Stonergrunge

Quote from: bitter on March 21, 2012, 08:47:57 PM
What's the skinny on them London fuzzes?

I thought you would remember since you commented about that company a few weeks ago when I posted it, the Sunmachine Reptile Fuzz. The pale blue one is the Roctavios (an octavia).
Fuzz is love

bitter

No, I meant more like how you diggin' them?

Stonergrunge

Quote from: bitter on March 21, 2012, 09:35:27 PM
No, I meant more like how you diggin' them?

Sorry, I got lost in translation, my english is not as fluent as yours.

Do you mean how am I using them?
Fuzz is love

bitter

Yeah, do you like one more than the other? I know one has germanium transistors and the other silicon.

I've always like the London fuzz from youtube videos, but I never got around to buying one.

Stonergrunge

Oh, well yes, I have my preferences, keep in mind that the LF II is brand new so I'm still getting used to it, but I can say a few things and the differences are quite evident.

MJM London Fuzz: the red one has germanium transistors, it's more warm than the LF II and the amount of gain is a little less than the silicon version although the feeling of "how gainy it is" can change depending on your guitar (single coils=less gain / humbuckers=more gain). The sputter or "sputtery" texture is more pronounced if you turn the fuzz knob all the way up and play with your guitar's neck pickup, it's awesome and I love it.

MJM London Fuzz II: the blue one with silicon transistors, it's not as warm as the germanium version but it has more gain and the sputter is more pronounced and a little bit more "violent" if you try using it in the same way as the red one (fuzz knob to the max, neck pickup).

In case you're wondering, I've never used a Fuzz Face replica/clone before these two pedals, neither an original vintage Fuzz Face, so I can't tell you if they sound just like a classic FF, but I can tell you this... I like them.
Fuzz is love

giantchris

I just bought a Tech 21 bass xxl and a Tech 21 Red ripper bass distortion.  The Bass XXL is a bit brighter then the Red Ripper and the Ripper can get a really cool deep fuzz I actually like it better then my bass big muff.

Volume

I love my Ge London Fuzz. Like Stonergrunge said it isn't as over the top an massive like some silicon fuzz faces, not that it's fizzy or anything. It also cleans up very well with the volume knob so you can use it as an od and turn up the volume knob for leads or whatever.

bitter

Quote from: Stonergrunge on March 22, 2012, 12:58:39 AM
Oh, well yes, I have my preferences, keep in mind that the LF II is brand new so I'm still getting used to it, but I can say a few things and the differences are quite evident.

MJM London Fuzz: the red one has germanium transistors, it's more warm than the LF II and the amount of gain is a little less than the silicon version although the feeling of "how gainy it is" can change depending on your guitar (single coils=less gain / humbuckers=more gain). The sputter or "sputtery" texture is more pronounced if you turn the fuzz knob all the way up and play with your guitar's neck pickup, it's awesome and I love it.

MJM London Fuzz II: the blue one with silicon transistors, it's not as warm as the germanium version but it has more gain and the sputter is more pronounced and a little bit more "violent" if you try using it in the same way as the red one (fuzz knob to the max, neck pickup).

In case you're wondering, I've never used a Fuzz Face replica/clone before these two pedals, neither an original vintage Fuzz Face, so I can't tell you if they sound just like a classic FF, but I can tell you this... I like them.

Quote from: Volume on March 22, 2012, 04:31:32 AM
I love my Ge London Fuzz. Like Stonergrunge said it isn't as over the top an massive like some silicon fuzz faces, not that it's fizzy or anything. It also cleans up very well with the volume knob so you can use it as an od and turn up the volume knob for leads or whatever.

Nice. they've always been on my radar. Sounds like they're both good options.

grimniggzy

Quote from: giantchris on March 22, 2012, 01:40:01 AM
The Bass XXL is a bit brighter then the Red Ripper and the Ripper can get a really cool deep fuzz I actually like it better then my bass big muff.

You better. Down with BBM's!

Instant Dan

Picked up a supposed clone of 1979 DOD 250 for $40. When it gets here i'll see if I just flushed money down the turlet.

giantchris

Quote from: grimniggzy on March 22, 2012, 03:02:20 PM
Quote from: giantchris on March 22, 2012, 01:40:01 AM
The Bass XXL is a bit brighter then the Red Ripper and the Ripper can get a really cool deep fuzz I actually like it better then my bass big muff.

You better. Down with BBM's!
I bought the new bass big muff like literally when it came out out and mine broke after 4 months of very mild use.  I had it fixed but the Red Ripper has taken that slot over the FZ2/HM2 now.  You can get a really cool Lemmy style sound out of the Bass XXL too.  I've never been happier with my distortions at this point took years to find the sound I wanted.

yesca

mxr carbon copy came in the mail 2 days ago. im diggin it compared to my old boss dd5 which i no longer have

grimniggzy

Gotta Foxx Tone Machine clone yesterday.
Should be getting a Torns Peaker in the mail today.

I hadn't bought a dirt pedal in a WHILE. I try to limit my board to my RAT & only one other dirt pedal (Prunes & Custard usually). It's been years since I've had a new fuzz and now I bought 2 in a week. Guess I'll see how I feel about these ones over the weekend.

PEDULLZ!!!

56Merc

Im having one of these made as we speak.  Should get it by mid April.  Its gonna have orange tolex to match my Orange cab!

dunwichamps

Quote from: 56Merc on March 23, 2012, 12:03:53 PM
Im having one of these made as we speak.  Should get it by mid April.  Its gonna have orange tolex to match my Orange cab!

Paul the owner is a Weber forum guy, good shit, good builder!

56Merc

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 23, 2012, 12:11:23 PM
Quote from: 56Merc on March 23, 2012, 12:03:53 PM

Paul the owner is a Weber forum guy, good shit, good builder!

I know Paul as well.  I went out to Texas with him and his band and was absolutely impressed with his amps.  I would suggest anyone in the tube amp market to check him out.

The Shocker

Sunn has my recent acquisition and I gave him something too.  Maybe he'll chime in on them...

VOLVO)))

I want some new fuzzzzz...

I love Dean's new amp. It's gorgeous.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Goddamn. That Scarlett is one firebreathing motherfuck. I'd love to hear one all up close and personal like.
poop.

grimniggzy

what kinda amp deaner/JakeO)))?

edit: oh, is it one of those little jawns that you pulled from that other thread?

dunwichamps

based on control layout and the tone it sounds like a rodded 2203 based circuit

bitter

Quote from: Jake on March 23, 2012, 12:55:17 PM
Goddamn. That Scarlett is one firebreathing motherfuck. I'd love to hear one all up close and personal like.

Agreed. If it has that clarity and saturation in person, it's a real winner in my book.