Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimniggzy

VOLVO)))

Will that really work, Herb, or is this bullshit?

Wait up, what section did you find the scope in, on my local CL?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

It will work, never tried it myself, but all an O'scope is, is a TV without the scanning circuitry, a CRT is a CRT.

I couldn't tell you what kind of voltage range it will have, you'd have to experiment on that yourself, the guy figures about 1V range unattenuated, so you'd just make up a voltage divider probe for say 10x or 100x or 50x. Ohms Law ;)

Also it won't hold still (I'd imagine), as it doesn't have a trigger circuit, so the display will always be scrolling. Like I say, good for indicative purposes only.

dunwichamps

u can try contacting a local engineering university see if they have older analog scopes for sale, our department has shit ton of old stuff like that

Hemisaurus

Quote from: dunwichamps on April 23, 2012, 03:00:33 PM
u can try contacting a local engineering university see if they have older analog scopes for sale, our department has shit ton of old stuff like that
Usually hard to get a release on them, of course I'm talking from State Uni experience, private ones may be a little easier? Also craigslist, they do pop up on it.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 23, 2012, 03:02:30 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on April 23, 2012, 03:00:33 PM
Usually hard to get a release on them, of course I'm talking from State Uni experience, private ones may be a little easier? Also craigslist, they do pop up on it.

this is true, they dont become available til they reach public surplus and then u can get them but it takes time and red tape

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 23, 2012, 02:55:16 PM
Will that really work, Herb, or is this bullshit?

Wait up, what section did you find the scope in, on my local CL?
I used your craigzoom man, just stuck in the word oscilloscope and the top price of $100 ;) CLicked on the different cities

Hemisaurus

Quote from: dunwichamps on April 23, 2012, 03:09:53 PM
this is true, they dont become available til they reach public surplus and then u can get them but it takes time and red tape
I have known equipment permanently signed out, with knowledge of the storekeeper, 'til it falls off the asset register (becomes worthless after N years), but of course that was with people involved with the university itself.

Plus I'm seeing them on craigslist between $50-100, it's not a bad deal. I saw an old Heathkit one with the round CRT, probably 5MHz tops, for $5 at the Unique thrift store, already having several in the house I was forbade from buying it ;)

VOLVO)))

Anything to look for when buying one? I remember you said CRT's can be bad, but what about other styles?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 23, 2012, 03:30:39 PM
Anything to look for when buying one? I remember you said CRT's can be bad, but what about other styles?
Styles? The thing to check for if that the crt line can be focused properly and isn't gassy, if it's gassy and can't be brought to focus, the CRT is on it's way out.

Also, with the trace freerunning (straight line along the middle) move the trace up and down using the position knob and check for any position where the line is not straight sort of has a kink of some kind, this indicates a bad CRT.

Lines that aren't parallel to the grid can be adjusted with horizontal adjust control, like wise if it curves, the azimuth can be adjusted, it glitches, burns and blips your looking out for.

The Shocker

grimniggzy

VOLVO)))

He's hiding shit from his wife hahahaha

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Corey Y

It's the grooviest hobo bindle ever. Needs a can of beans though.

grimniggzy

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 23, 2012, 09:20:00 PM
He's hiding shit from his wife hahahaha

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

ah shit :D

The Shocker

She doesn't pay much attention to small packages.  It's the guitar sized boxes that drive her nuts.

First impressions, what a hunk of shit.  After messing with it for a while, have found some usable settings.  Still kind of ball-less and not much sustain at all.  Will not unseat the Tone Machine as the King of Fuzzes on my pedalboard...

grimniggzy

ah, that sucks. read a story a while back about how hes not able to source a lot of the same components as when he first started.

The Shocker

I only fooled with it about thirty mins. It can do a bunch of weird ass shit for sure. The Tone Machine is special though so I probably shouldn't compare.

VOLVO)))

File the Fuzz Factory into "Things that Jake warned Dean about but Dean didn't listen." ;D ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

Yeah, i gotta tone machine clone and it's pretty cool but I still like my Prunes & Custard clone better. I try to keep my board more bare bones but it always ends up getting out of control. I need to move back to a Pedaltrain Jr. and force myself to lose a few.

Corey Y

Zvex pedals are really touchy. You spend hours to get a setting you like, a gentle breeze blows through the room and it's gone. The only one I'm a fan of is the SHO, personally.

mortlock

Quote from: Corey Y on April 23, 2012, 11:40:28 PM
Zvex pedals are really touchy. You spend hours to get a setting you like, a gentle breeze blows through the room and it's gone. The only one I'm a fan of is the SHO, personally.
i got a zvex woolly mammoth that i dig..its probably the best bass overdrive ive ever had..

Lumpy

Zvex Wooly Mammoth is cool, a little too squelchy for me (gated) and I like more vintage sounds, but cool bass distortion for sure. Zvex is coming out with a Tremelo/Machine combination pedal this year that looks pretty cool (the Sonar) but I hate the idea of paying 250-300 dollars for a pedal, especially one I'm not absolutely certain I need.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

it was the only overdrive i could use on the upright when i was playing one..because of the noisegate. that thing sounded sick when played with a bow through and ampeg and the woolly mammoth.