Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunwichamps

heres the early 70s schematic

Boost is on the driver stage right before the cathodyne

There are a few "real" orange schematics, they changed the design a few times.

On the GT120s,
The presence control is now the Boost control as seen on the 70s Oranges

Now for the OR200 Lead they did have the pre-tone stack Boost control

dunwichamps

As far as the e.a. master volume schems go to this link here http://music-electronics-forum.com/t26551-2/#post233707

As you see, the 2nd stage has a 100 nF bypass cap but the stage is mostly unbypassed with that very thin bypass cap adding some sparkly highs. Most likely to compensate for the use of a vox hi cut control

Blueberry Lazer

whatever, the shit sounds good!  ;D

but seriously, i waited 11 months for this mofo and it is a complete work of art. it arrived on 4-20. It is quite the transition from what im used to (sunn beta lead with a boss hm2 or peavey 5150) yet there are so many good tones in this head. i play it with the fuzz all the way up when jammin by myself and its  huge. i have never kept the bass this low on any of my amps, there is just so much low end. When i need a clean sound i just set the master to 10 and the fuzz to 0 and it sounds glorious, then hit it with a hm2 to  get back into dirt heaven (would sound 10x better if the hm2 had a mids knob ;)) it is eventually going to force me to learn the art of using my guitars volume knob. but yes its a full-size head. No im not a tar-heels fan. it was modeled after my first ride

here is me taking her out of the package

dunwichamps

Quote from: Blueberry Lazer on April 28, 2012, 09:36:01 AM
whatever, the shit sounds good!  ;D

but seriously, i waited 11 months for this mofo and it is a complete work of art. it arrived on 4-20. It is quite the transition from what im used to (sunn beta lead with a boss hm2 or peavey 5150) yet there are so many good tones in this head. i play it with the fuzz all the way up when jammin by myself and its  huge. i have never kept the bass this low on any of my amps, there is just so much low end. When i need a clean sound i just set the master to 10 and the fuzz to 0 and it sounds glorious, then hit it with a hm2 to  get back into dirt heaven (would sound 10x better if the hm2 had a mids knob ;)) it is eventually going to force me to learn the art of using my guitars volume knob. but yes its a full-size head. No im not a tar-heels fan. it was modeled after my first ride

here is me taking her out of the package

Gratz man sounds good they do squeeze a lot of gain out of it and it has merc mag iron which is quite nice shit

Hemisaurus

Which answers my original question ;)

For some reason in the pic it looked like a baby amp, but seen with you in the pic, normal size. Weird.

dunwichamps

just needed that scale figure in there.

Blueberry Lazer

yeah everyone who sees that first pic ask why i got a mini electric amp. It's the damnedest thing

clockwork green

Very nice.  It sucks that the waits are nearly a year.  I remember complaining when it was 3 months.  The amps are definitely keepers...I can't imagine ever selling mine but that car is the real gem here.  I hope you still have that.  That's a ride you can be damn proud of when showing up to the players ball.  My first car was  '69 Cadillac that was a horrible shade of brown up I later upgraded to a '77 Cadillac in robin's egg blue and that was a beauty. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

Yeah Nick, that hand drawn one looks like what's in my head, FAC before first stage, boost on second, then tone stack. Yeah the Graphics were all over the place in terms of design, in a sense I guess every amp was an individual, I think only the Lead / Slave had the extra tube stage, most of them it was one tube pre, one tube phase split. Some of the regular oranges also had the FAC before the tubes though.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 28, 2012, 10:34:57 AM
Yeah Nick, that hand drawn one looks like what's in my head, FAC before first stage, boost on second, then tone stack. Yeah the Graphics were all over the place in terms of design, in a sense I guess every amp was an individual, I think only the Lead / Slave had the extra tube stage, most of them it was one tube pre, one tube phase split. Some of the regular oranges also had the FAC before the tubes though.

yea they did love making nearly identical looking amps with identical looking controls but different schemes. I should simulate and see where that LC boost is centered at

Hemisaurus

The EA reminds me of the Weber design, but with the extra tube buffer stage, and of course theFAC somewhere else. Which oddly labelled controls makes me wonder what the three knobber does. ???

dunwichamps

now let me blow up your world again

On the non-master-volume units from e.a. they are actually closer to the GT120 in design

they have baxandalls, the useless Drive control. They retain the bypassing of the first 2 stages on the master volume unit but drop the cathode follower The Boost is now like the Mids pot on the Weber except only connected to the Bass control. it essentially floats the tone stack a smidge above ground, adding in 6-9 dBs of flat gain. They also removed any kind of presence control

Hemisaurus

So is he saying here the FAC is on the grid or the plate of the first triode? Looks like he's shorting plate to grid, weird.

dunwichamps

no actually he is saying they dont wire the shield of input coax cable to ground, they attach it to the anode for stability reasons.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: dunwichamps on April 28, 2012, 10:52:26 AM
now let me blow up your world again

On the non-master-volume units from e.a. they are actually closer to the GT120 in design

they have baxandalls, the useless Drive control. They retain the bypassing of the first 2 stages on the master volume unit but drop the cathode follower The Boost is now like the Mids pot on the Weber except only connected to the Bass control. it essentially floats the tone stack a smidge above ground, adding in 6-9 dBs of flat gain. They also removed any kind of presence control
I'm tempted to ask, are you sure?

Perhaps they are following in orange's footsteps and making every amp different  ;D

dunwichamps

follw zee gut shot my friend

Blueberry Lazer

Quote from: clockwork green on April 28, 2012, 10:34:46 AM
Very nice.  It sucks that the waits are nearly a year.  I remember complaining when it was 3 months.  The amps are definitely keepers...I can't imagine ever selling mine but that car is the real gem here.  I hope you still have that.  That's a ride you can be damn proud of when showing up to the players ball.  My first car was  '69 Cadillac that was a horrible shade of brown up I later upgraded to a '77 Cadillac in robin's egg blue and that was a beauty. 

my car looked just like that except it had a sunroof and a gold plaque on the inside that read " custom made for Wilbur W. Burkins"
sadly my Thunderbird blew up out of nowhere. i mean blew up as in exploded. i was at my friends apartment when we heard a loud boom and people started going door to door telling everyone to get out the building as quick as possible. When we ran downstairs from the top floor i saw what all the commotion was about. There sat my baby with a fire dancing 5 feet high on the hood.It took the fire department to put it out. To this day i have no idea what the cause of the explosion was.  It was a crack head complex though, they tried to charge my friend for the stain as well as "refilling the fire extinguishers". what memories. now i drive a friggin white person car. but i got a slab of an amp finally.

bitter

:D

I love that pale shade of blue they used on the amp man.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Hemisaurus

So who is building them now?

dunwichamps

Hemisaurus

I thought he stopped? I know they were getting shipped cross country to FL for McNeece, but something Sunn said made me think they stopped? I forget now.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 28, 2012, 02:00:16 PM
I thought he stopped? I know they were getting shipped cross country to FL for McNeece, but something Sunn said made me think they stopped? I forget now.

i am not really sure to be honest Hemi.

a further thought, they are well built with good components all around. but the only 1 thing that irks me, why not go for sealed mil-spec pots. I know they are $$$ but its a nice touch on such a well built amp.

Blueberry Lazer

its mcneese, he moved to Athens Ga and the package said it was shipped from there

The Shocker

For an old cheapy it sounds pretty great. Sending it to Sunn Jake's for a little spa treatment.

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan